New to QB questions

Zmanz

420 Member
Hello all. Long time reader of info here but not for lighting. Thnks for all the knowledge but these new light got me spinning.
So I just ordered my first QB HLG 135 v2....but I didnt noticed somehow i had ordered the 4k instead of the 3k as planned for a 2x2 55inch tent.
Should I send it back or will there not be much difference for seed to harvest? Its just a hobby i enjoy as i dont smoke much anymore at all i just enjoy growing the beautiful plant that is now legal in Canada.
I have grown in the past under hps small micro closet grows nothing big this 2x2 is a size up from before.
My concern is i still want quality. Or am i over thinking this 3 vs 4k too much and just use it.
I have a green thumb things just grow for me i grew up on a farm so im not concerned with my ability just the lights as these new QB and spectrums are all new mumbo jumbo to me. I get the basics but feel i dont quite grasp the fine details of the spectrum. To me looking the 4k looks well balanced... im sure im missing something.
Second whats the general rule for distance for seedlings up to flowering. I will be growing autos for a bit(they just pique my interest but i will fall back on photos) plan on 2 at a time but i will want to start seeds 3 weeks from end of the two coming out or so so i dont waste turnaround time.
Sure there will be more questions ill continue here as they pop up.
Sorry for the ramble its just late and im overthinking the 4 vs 3 k light inhave coming. Probably looking for assurance it will grow some quality bud as my little twin 70watt hps rig used to.

Hello all. Long time reader of info here but not for lighting. Thnks for all the knowledge but these new light got me spinning.
So I just ordered my first QB HLG 135 v2....but I didnt noticed somehow i had ordered the 4k instead of the 3k as planned for a 2x2 55inch tent.
Should I send it back or will there not be much difference for seed to harvest? Its just a hobby i enjoy as i dont smoke much anymore at all i just enjoy growing the beautiful plant that is now legal in Canada.
I have grown in the past under hps small micro closet grows nothing big this 2x2 is a size up from before.
My concern is i still want quality. Or am i over thinking this 3 vs 4k too much and just use it.
I have a green thumb things just grow for me i grew up on a farm so im not concerned with my ability just the lights as these new QB and spectrums are all new mumbo jumbo to me. I get the basics but feel i dont quite grasp the fine details of the spectrum. To me looking the 4k looks well balanced... im sure im missing something.
Second whats the general rule for distance for seedlings up to flowering. I will be growing autos for a bit(they just pique my interest but i will fall back on photos) plan on 2 at a time but i will want to start seeds 3 weeks from end of the two coming out or so so i dont waste turnaround time.
Sure there will be more questions ill continue here as they pop up.
Sorry for the ramble its just late and im overthinking the 4 vs 3 k light inhave coming. Probably looking for assurance it will grow some quality bud as my little twin 70watt hps rig used to.

Hi, Zman,

Welcome to 420, from a fellow Canadian!

I am definitely no expert on lighting, so I am sure that others will chime in with additional thoughts. However, from what I have read, I think the 4000K is actually the better choice if you want one light to go from seed to harvest. My understanding is that you can use a 3000K (or even 2700K), both of which are more red, for the flowering stage. I think some folks with bigger grows will use the more blue lights for veg, and then the more red lights for blooming.

Hope that helps a bit.

What strain are you growing? Medium, fertilizers, etc.? Just curious.

Welcome, again!

Most people would agree that 3000K is the best all round color for seed to harvest grows.
4000K is more preferred for veg than it is for flower, but I saw an article recently that said the differences between the two are minimal. and what is more important is intensity.
Seeing as how you already have your light on the way, I would keep it.
I would be willing to bet that another light will be in your future.
You can always add a 3000 or even a 2700K light to your scheme dwn the road.
In the meantime, while 4000K isn't absolutely ideal for flowering, I'm sure that you'll still get great buds

Thanks for the advice. I think ill stick with the 4k.
I am growing just some free auto at the moment canuk seeds and an auto blue diesel. I want to get things dialed in with the new tech before i throw in others.
Medium is my own organic soil mix (in fabric 3gal)i have been working on for years for my container tomates but little different blend for these. 2x2 mars tent with one static fan one rotating, 4 inch ac infinity no carbon filter for exhaust.
To me looking the 4k looks well rounded spectrum but those graphs are french to me. Dont get it.
Any guides on distance for seedling to flower from the light?

I definitely will have the intensity with my plans per what im reading about output of this 135. Ya if the difference is minimal I won't bother returning it. I think I read the same article. Mynthoughts are with my planned autos maybe he extra blue will promote more root and veg growth as i will have plants at different stages.
Chime in if im orf

Most people would agree that 3000K is the best all round color for seed to harvest grows.
4000K is more preferred for veg than it is for flower, but I saw an article recently that said the differences between the two are minimal. and what is more important is intensity.
Seeing as how you already have your light on the way, I would keep it.
I would be willing to bet that another light will be in your future.
You can always add a 3000 or even a 2700K light to your scheme dwn the road.
In the meantime, while 4000K isn't absolutely ideal for flowering, I'm sure that you'll still get great buds

Of course, you are right! I should have had more coffee before responding. :)

Here’s his journal:

Thanks Felipe! Nothing wrong with that puts my mind at ease. I love the short stacked plants!
I cant wait now.
My girls are just 14 and 9 days old under a mars 300 now i hate the colour of the lights. Cant wait for the real light.

well the difference is 3000K has higher red value, to hit Chlorophyll A, (660nm) and 4000k have a peak to pin point Chlorophyll B ( 470nm) , but combining them, or haveing BOTH, via Different light sources respectivly, gives you the best of both worlds.

its not a deal breaker if its for personal use, and you wont get giant fruits and stem elongation, because Blue, or 4000K tend to keep the plant compact with tighter inter-nodes. Its really not a big deal, but you can always throw in the Mars300 when you flip to flower to throw some reds in the mix. Also, look into getting the GrowMau5 night puck, with 730MN far reds to help even more in flower stage, well worth the $30 if you ask me.

When i made my light, i took all this into consideration by using 2pc 3000K and 2pc 4000K cobs, because each spectrum targeted Chlorophyll A and B, then adding the 730nm hits the Emerson effect, thus, the plants use the entire spectrum easier, and more efficiently, and you can actually reduce your watts and get great growth.

If you are handy, building your own light is the best bang for the buck. See sig below for how I took Canada Costco cookie sheets to build my lights. I bought strips and alternated them since they are 2700K and 3500K. By my figuring I get 3100K and it's doing well for me. Cost was 420 USD but I brought almost everything back from the USA and did not have to pay duty or taxes. Nor BROKERAGE FEES.
20190505_125256[2].jpg
quantum board.jpg

probably over kill, but i don't think to much is a problem,lol.
I use 1 in my 3.5x3.5 and it does the job, i think anyway,lol.. It definitely puts the plants to sleep at the end of the light cycle, which was the main objective for the puck, then i found out about emerson. I have heard about Shade avoidance syndrome, or better known as, 1 plant racing the one next to it, or some BS like that. some say it makes smaller roots because its chasing the growth of the plant next to it, *shruggs. You can read into if you wish to understand what Im saying, i just never really did. If your commercial, then maybe it might be a big deal, just like the tit for tat 4000k to 3000k argument lol..

Thanks guys for the advice. Im gonna roll with what shows up for now get a few runs in. Ill probably end up with another light or board in the future anyway. I was also thinking i could just add the mars 300 for more red if i need to. I like short and squat plants anyways nodes stacked. How i used to grow in an 3ft vertical space. Clones rooted straight into 2l bottle and flower, 2 in 2 out a week. Old habbits are hard to break.
I will learn the hard way with the new tech im sure try to get my plants close as i can and fry some, im learning to trust people as i get older especially when its something i know little about, plants i know the QB far red etc is all new, heck i almost bought a HPS but watched some videos and the boards called to me. Ill have a hard time putting seedlings 2 fr from the light but if it tells me it likes it ill learn quick.
Im probably just overthinking it, back in the day i had 3 choices hps MH and CFL. They all grew better pot then i could buy im sure it will be above my expectations. Just trying to take in as much as i can it will sink in sooner or later just can be overwhelming.
I enjoy growing more then anything ill make the 4k work one way or the other, least it will do curb the urge to grow again.... been itching for a few years time wasnt right yet. Now in with both feet.
I appreciate all the knowledge here and advice greatly.
Ill start a grow thread when it shows up and i have it in the tent. Might not be pretty first few days if i cant help myself and put these little guys at 12 inches:oops:;)

My QB135 showed up today.... all I can say is I was surprised it was 3000k. They got my email in time before it got on the truck, but they never let me know. Issue was never an issue
Setup was a walk.
Man this thing is bright, was running at 160 watts out of the box. Had it running while I went out for 25 min, came home and leaves were telling me to back off. Running it at 50% for today going to bump it up a little everyday until shes blasting them. Those poople lights dont aren't even playing the same game as these boards.

Thanks for the advice. I think ill stick with the 4k.
I am growing just some free auto at the moment canuk seeds and an auto blue diesel. I want to get things dialed in with the new tech before i throw in others.
Medium is my own organic soil mix (in fabric 3gal)i have been working on for years for my container tomates but little different blend for these. 2x2 mars tent with one static fan one rotating, 4 inch ac infinity no carbon filter for exhaust.
To me looking the 4k looks well rounded spectrum but those graphs are french to me. Dont get it.
Any guides on distance for seedling to flower from the light?
Zmanzz - Hedz here, does your light have an intensity adjustment? Our HLG 550 does, so that you can increase / decrease illumination as needed. I’d keep the 4k.

It does. It is turned down to 98 watts. I have the seedlings that are going outside at 24" the vegging plant little less and one that im making seeds with thats in flower at 17 ish. One seedling (norther lights) and the vegging plant are showing little signs of light stress.... not terrible just some edges turning up leaf is still flat and not all leaves. Im just going to turn it up a 10 watts every other day.

Back
Top Bottom