Newb, 1st grow attempt in 2x2x5.3

SendWaves

Hi. I'm about to attempt my first grow ever and I have absolutely no experience growing cannabis. My production goals are very, very modest as I only want to grow enough for personal consumption. Here's my plan, I'm looking forward to comments/suggestions from those of you who have done this a few times:

-Space: Using a 2ftx2ftx67in. grow tent from growershouse.com. It's going in my garage.
-Light: 400w iPower HPS/MH dimmable grow light system (wing reflector).
-Ventilation: VIVOHOME 4in 188 CFM Inline Duct Fan with a 4in carbon filter, will also run a separate mini fan for air circulation
-Seeds: Probably autoflowering, but still not sure.
-Soil: Fox Farm FX14081 Happy Frog
-Vegging nutrient: FoxFarm 6-4-4 Grow Big Liquid Concentrate
-Flowering nutrient: FoxFarm Big Bloom

I've done hours of research on growing in such a small space and this is the ideal set-up for my budget and circumstance. I feel good about everything except ventilation, my budget in this category is $100-$150. The carbon filter is going to take up precious space but I was airing (see what I did there) on the side of caution from a smell-control standpoint. Will this work? Is the air intake/exhaust adequate? I would rather my garage/mudroom stink than my pants not be able to breath.

I'm thinking about raising 4 seedlings and choosing 1 of them to continue with vegging/flowering. Thoughts?

:welcome: to :420: @SendWaves

No offense just my 2 cents...
A 400 watt is overkill in a 2'x2' tent, especially a wing reflector, too much heat produced. If it was a cool tube like mine, you'd still be overkill :rofl: but the heat would be much less of a problem...it's double what you need...and the 188 CFM Inline Duct Fan :hmmmm: IDK :hmmmm: what's your carbon filter rated for...for example my carbon filter is rated for 390CFM so I use a 440 CFM inline fan to push/pull it...a lot of variables to work out and synchronize...good luck to you though :thumb:

:welcome: to :420: @SendWaves

No offense just my 2 cents...
A 400 watt is overkill in a 2'x2' tent, especially a wing reflector, too much heat produced. If it was a cool tube like mine, you'd still be overkill :rofl: but the heat would be much less of a problem...it's double what you need...and the 188 CFM Inline Duct Fan :hmmmm: IDK :hmmmm: what's your carbon filter rated for...for example my carbon filter is rated for 390CFM so I use a 440 CFM inline fan to push/pull it...a lot of variables to work out and synchronize...good luck to you though :thumb:
Heard that, thanks man. The light is dimmable to 50% but I don't have experience with it to know whether that's actually true.

Welcome Waves! Great start. If you want to get the carbon filter out of the tent here's a way.

I agree with Mocha on the light. Will put off too much heat for a 2' x 2' area. It will be really hard to cool unless you're growing in a basement back east in the dead of winter. Then you'd need the heat to keep it warm enough. You will easily hit 90 F with a wing reflector HPS in a 2' x 2' in normal conditions. (Been there, Done that) The only way I can see it working is if you duct your house AC to your tent. (Done that too) It works great. I cooled a 5' x 10' x 7' tent this way & it kept my temps at a perfect 77 - 79 F. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. It's probably your cheapest route to cooling your tent. (Maybe $20 in fittings) The other thing you have to think about is with hotter temps the Humidity goes down. So you really need to get temps right as it effects the RH.
GEDC4685.JPG

Heard that, thanks man. The light is dimmable to 50% but I don't have experience with it to know whether that's actually true.
Yeah :hmmmm: didn't think about that :lot-o-toke: and yes if it's a digital ballast you can reduce wattage by 50% :thumb:

BTW I'm not trying to discourage you, I say jump in you'll figure it out, and we'll all help out where we can:party:
Hell I started in a closet with CFLs and Miracle Grow :rofl::rofl: you got this :thumb:

Yeah :hmmmm: didn't think about that :lot-o-toke: and yes if it's a digital ballast you can reduce wattage by 50% :thumb:

BTW I'm not trying to discourage you, I say jump in you'll figure it out, and we'll all help out where we can:party:
Hell I started in a closet with CFLs and Miracle Grow :rofl::rofl: you got this :thumb:
I'm Jealous ... You had a Closet !!! I had a big cardboard box lined in aluminum foil, a 4 bulb track light with 4 - 85 watt CFL's, Miracle Grow & a gnat infestation like all hell from the Miracle Grow ... LOL.

I'm Jealous ... You had a Closet !!! I had a big cardboard box lined in aluminum foil, a 4 bulb track light with 4 - 85 watt CFL's, Miracle Grow & a gnat infestation like all hell from the Miracle Grow ... LOL.
:rofl: :rofl:

I take any and all critique kindly my friend, it's a benefit to me and I really appreciate yall taking the time to reply and comment! I think I'll stick with the 400w HDS dimmed to 200w and see what happens. Eventually I'll make the leap to quantum board LEDs but I'm not there quite yet.
Welcome Waves! Great start. If you want to get the carbon filter out of the tent here's a way.
Those are fantastic visuals for a homemade filter and outside the tent setup, that's awesome thank you for sharing the link brotherman.

I'm stoked for all this feedback gents, thank you!

I take any and all critique kindly my friend, it's a benefit to me and I really appreciate yall taking the time to reply and comment! I think I'll stick with the 400w HDS dimmed to 200w and see what happens. Eventually I'll make the leap to quantum board LEDs but I'm not there quite yet.
200 watts will be fine for a 2x2 :thumb: I had 850 watts in that CFL hood of mine, which is why I jumped to a 1000 watt HPS for flower, I still use that hood to veg, but alone the hood is only about 380 watts...
And have you priced a QB? The one that would replace my $170 dollar 1000 watt HPS is almost $1700.00 :thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake:

Shipping delays have postponed the grow a bit. Looks like materials won't all be here till next week. In the meantime I've been researching seeds and soil as the gold standard Happy Frog will not ship to where I live. Next best option in my region looks to be Black Gold.

As for seeds, I've got my eyes on LSD-25 Autoflowers. Those purple colas make my loins tingle and from what I've seen they do well in smaller spaces and are harty plants that will be able to withstand my inevitable screw-ups when it comes to LST. Any other strain suggestions?

As suggested, I read all of @Herb Dean first grow journal and was super impressed with that yield for a first attempt. I also learned a great deal from his LST techniques and decision making process on when to defol. I can't wait till I can afford a quality LED set-up.

Drink water, eat an orange and take your vitamins. Cheers yall, be safe out there.

Shipping delays have postponed the grow a bit. Looks like materials won't all be here till next week. In the meantime I've been researching seeds and soil as the gold standard Happy Frog will not ship to where I live. Next best option in my region looks to be Black Gold.

As for seeds, I've got my eyes on LSD-25 Autoflowers. Those purple colas make my loins tingle and from what I've seen they do well in smaller spaces and are harty plants that will be able to withstand my inevitable screw-ups when it comes to LST. Any other strain suggestions?

As suggested, I read all of @Herb Dean first grow journal and was super impressed with that yield for a first attempt. I also learned a great deal from his LST techniques and decision making process on when to defol. I can't wait till I can afford a quality LED set-up.

Drink water, eat an orange and take your vitamins. Cheers yall, be safe out there.
If you wouldn't mind could you add a link to Herb Dean journal? I'd like to read it.

If you wouldn't mind could you add a link to Herb Dean journal? I'd like to read it.
Here ya go!

Alright I pulled the trigger on lighting and I know I'm going to piss some people off here, but hear me out.

I had my eyes on an HID system from the get-go for 2 reasons: 1. They're affordable and 2. From my research they seemed to be popular amongst first-time growers. Over the last couple of days I've been consumed with trying to figure out the most efficient way to ventilate this tiny ass tent with a light that is hot as balls. I've come to the conclusion that in a 2x2 tent it would be far more efficient to run an LED setup and I wouldn't have to stress as much about my plants being hotter than a $2 pistol. I went with ViparSpectra's 300w LED full-spectrum, something the grow community likes to a call a "blurple" light...I think.

I'll run my exhaust fan and carbon filter in an "outside-the-tent" setup and be able to fit an oscilating fan inside while not having to worry about taking up precious space with additional ventilation equipment. I'll post pictures of the complete set-up next week when the gear arrives. I'm stoked!

Back
Top Bottom