Newbie needs advice

WilliamJBud

Hello again everyone. These girls sprouted on 5-6. They are crown royal from crop 70% Indica 30% Sativa. The tallest is 13 inches tall. The runt is 9. The rest around 11. Should I try the Scrog technique with these ladies. Never did before as this is my 2nd grow

Attachments

• 14AA547D-85BB-4EDE-B52F-C336C33539C6.jpeg
    14AA547D-85BB-4EDE-B52F-C336C33539C6.jpeg
    662.8 KB · Views: 129
Hi William! I assume that your first grow was a simple vertical grow, and to further your training I highly recommend trying new techniques until you find something that really speaks to you. SCROG is a great way to get high production out of just a few plants and if you have several plants under a SCROG you can easily run out of room. I used to run 4 plants in 7 gallon containers in a SCROG in a 4x4 tent, and they easily filled up the large screen.
Normally you would set your SCROG screen at 10" above the soil and then start bending the plants to go horizontal, so you have some that are ready to go under the screen now. How many plants do you have there, and are they all female? A SCROG even with 4 plants is a PITA to maintain from late flower to after stretch, and a vertical grow with a lot of plants is actually going to be easier to run, considering the amount of time it takes to maintain. SCROG is great for high yield however, especially if you are using LED lighting that needs an even canopy, so it can be well worth the extra effort.

your choice of screen is very important too, and I recommend 2" hole chicken wire over any of the twine/plastic screens that are being sold out there. Do it right and put in a sturdy screen with small openings... you will thank me later. Even at 4" openings, the plants can get away from you vertically. SCROG is all about controlling an even canopy.
What sort of lighting are you working with?

I have a bestva 1000w and 650w LED. I was planning on using both when I turn to flower. I’m using the bestva now
SCROG is definitely a good choice for max yield with LED lighting. I am going to do the same thing on my next grow, especially now that I have to deal with a legal plant count and have a desire to go with fewer plants at a time indoors. My new LED lights work best at 16" away, and with a carefully controlled SCROG, every bud site will be at the optimum distance.

Hi friends. Never planted outdoors before. Found a spot with all day sun that drains well. Have 2 autos and 5 feminized. Any advice when I put them in the dirt

Attachments

• FFE888BE-1770-44D7-A981-EC95E7CF3CAD.jpeg
    FFE888BE-1770-44D7-A981-EC95E7CF3CAD.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 118
Hey @WilliamJBud ... nice to hear from you the other day. Are you doing some indoor and outdoor this year?

Fun, fun and fun growing outside ... free light ... but lots to read about on the forum threads ... you may want to control your own soil ... cover the top with straw or clover to stop them from drying out ... spread them out ... constant breeze ... may need a wind shield ... stakes for high winds ... protect from wildlife ... insects ... hope no one is growing a male nearby ... I'm sure you've thought about most of this already though.

I'm sure if you post your general location then someone nearby will help you with some potential pitfalls ... and maybe even point you to one of their grow journals you can read.

Also, maybe help the readers out by listing some of your plans that you have already.

I'm looking forward to following your progress ... have you started a grow journal yet?

Thanks for you reply. I do have an indoor grow in its first week of flower. Will post pics soon Would spreading mulch around base of the girls be beneficial. I wanted to keep them organic but would spray for bugs if necessary. There is all kinds of wildlife. My bud has chicken wire he will place around them. Should not be any males around. Planting in the middle of 80 private acres

Mulch is very good and it causes several very good things to happen and protects against some of the pests. I would amend the soil out there a bit by at least putting in a little bit of dolomite lime to increase the pH. I would also add in a little azomite and put in a few flowering nutrient spikes so that later on the plants will be able to find everything they need. A little preparation of the soil before planting could easily make this into a water only grow and you would not have to worry about feeding. I have learned to bring a few of my indoor tricks to my outside garden, and now I have no worries about bugs invading my tomatoes and such.... they get sprayed regularly with lactobacillus serum that is easily home made and these hard working microbes help the healthy leaves fight off predators. I never see mites or worms since starting this and when I can grow my medicine outdoors I am going to treat them the same way.

Back
Top Bottom