Nick Hardy Spice Works #1 Wasabi SIP/Hydro LT

OK,

Something popped up today about Wasabi. Or maybe I actually have been thinking about it for a while. So I bought 200 OK looking Wasabi seeds for cheap, like $15 total.

We have a space at the back of the house where its really shady and sheltered. Its the coolest area of the property by far. Hard to grow much there although & Co has lots going on out there. When I read about how to grow wasabi I realised not perfect its pretty good. The carport is pretty good too actually. That also normally has a slightly higher background level of Co2 (because I have two 120lb when empty Co2 cylinders in there and one feeds the tents in there that vent a little bit of it out) I don’t know if thats helpful yet.

Both spots have water and power to hand.

I’ve read a couple of “how to’s” but not really researched it too much yet. There’s a lot about loose soil, and or some hydro type stuff involving rocks and layered perlite or even coco and airpots.

Basically I feel like I can transfer a whole bunch of skills from growing weed to grow an even more valuable crop and one I love too. But its an 18 month process people say. See if I can get under that.

I’m thinking I need to chuck the seeds in the freezer for a week to convince them they are coming out of winter “stratifying” them I think.

Next Step:

Inform & Co 🤣

Grow Style.

I’m going to start with some giant, and I mean giant SIPS. The medium I’m tempted to go soil But with some liquid top ups and lots of aeration through perlite. Then for the airgap use these magic volcanoc type rocks they sell at the supermarket. Loads of nutrients in those. Nearly killed my Big Grow. They like 12-12-12 apparently.

I’m going to start them in either hydro or aeroponics to encourage those nice long roots from the get go.

We’ll see how we go but a 4 pot dripper like @Mars Hydro sell would be the next step. Maybe a more coco like medium and liquid nutes. They have to be cheaper than what I use for weed in that 12-12-12

So its a long term project. But I love Wasabi and its meant to be really difficult yet is grown in fundamentally similar ways to how many people grow weed. So giving it a go. Here’s a link to an outline of how to do it. To be honest its probably not whether or not I fail or not. Just how many ways we fail. I’ve read this and two other articles so far.

I’ll have some time this week to build the SIPS I’m planning on using but I’m not expecting to get the seeds on the ground for 10 days or so. With the freezing and everything, but a little shopping for hardware and hacks to get it ready before then.

Be fun I can get something edible out of it!

Nick & (Blissfully Unaware) Co

Yep but yosaw they like rocky soil kinda right next to a stream where they’re roots probably find their way into the subterranean bit of the stream?

Its pretty much like the roots of a SIP grow to me. In my umm unusual mind perhaps. I also love when we talked about it & Co said our daughter will be 5 years old when we finish this. Who will buy?
- Honey we have 18 months to figure that out…

But imagine! We fish - tuna sashimi on the boat with fish you caught and wasabi you grew. And after well, we grow weed OK too…

That’s the goal. Long term project and its growing.

Nick & Co

Ok. We have a design and from the design we can start building. And see what’s available to realise it.

Its like a SIP but with the pump we keep (the temperature controlled water moving whilst retaining that stream bed mixed soil gravel bed effect for the roots. The bowser tank is to amend as needed but its basically just goingbto be well water. Nice airy mix of medium. And Mosquito Bits because I learnt that’s a thing and seems fun to try. (About 30 gallon x 4 with say 12 plants a piece)

Nick & Co

983D1A1C-C329-4BF9-882C-D7D287745083.jpeg

I’m thinking I need to chuck the seeds in the freezer for a week to convince them they are coming out of winter “stratifying” them I think.
Hi Nick you might want to reread your article I read two months in the fridge.
You might be better off looking for some already growing plantlets.
Kind of like growing asparagus from seed, I have done it but takes a few years
Mom has had horseradish growing for over 30 years

Hi Nick you might want to reread your article I read two months in the fridge.
You might be better off looking for some already growing plantlets.
Kind of like growing asparagus from seed, I have done it but takes a few years
Mom has had horseradish growing for over 30 years
Yep but no plantlets here I can find. Seeds have arrived. Its takes 18-24 months that’s ok.

I’m not actually gonna freeze them for 2 months. Only for as long as it takes to build their home. Which has a had a massive redesign. For seedlings I need another plan. Think an unused aeroponics 24x hole machine and say the rest in 3G airpots straight into a layered potting and soil mix. 20 to a pot. See what we get.

Expect a slow burner of a joirnal 🤣

Nick

OK.

This is by no means forgotten. Next week I’m starting the build. Seeds have been in the freezer a while. Temperatures should be dropping.

The physical design I have the plan. Welded stainless steel frame. Teak wood sides. (Got a source) 100L tank and an aquarium water chiller. A pump.

I’m a bit undecided on the medium. Initally I was all about a coco peat/perlite/smooth pebbles and probably some chicken wire/mesh of differing grades to support layers of the medium, to replicate the edge of a Japanese shaded stream. It has to look beautiful as well though. The final design I’m trying to work so that in the 8x4 tray there is an actual stream running through the middle mostly for aesthetics, plan is to have a waterfall out of the “estuary” of the stream that cascades down the side back into the res. I want it to look nice as I’m going to be waiting two years to harvest!

However, toying with LOS maybe. A little bug infused wonderland. We have little Geckos everywhere that take care of most stuff though.

I’ll put it in my perpetual rather than this dark shady corner but another member the best most concise LOS thing I’ve ever read. Nunyabiz - I won’t tag here because this is a dusty corner!

But kinda intrigued to add another skill set - but honestly a grow this long, and in a single 8x4x2 pot - maybe is not the time to learn!

Nick & Co

NIck, are you in Thailand? What does it take to live there, financially, and how's the paperwork/visa scenario? Feel free to DM, or even ignore, I'll understand - really. Looking forward to WASABI SIPs. This year I'm going all out testing multiple veggies in SIPs. Have some nice spots for them all, am planting out 24, 100 litre SIPs and my new-last-year giant raised bed. Be interesting to see if there's anything SIPs can't do.

Thinking to sell out in 5 years, max, and maybe do something else, somewhere else. If you rolled into Thailand with a few hundred K in the bank, how would you roll?

Best to you and yours,
RD

Ok I have the internal design/systems design.

Its going to be 2.4x1.2m (8x4’) and probably about 60cm - 2ft deep but raised to waist height.

Steel framework clad with either a wooden shutter Japanese design or bamboo (bamboo is basically free so probably that!

Not sure about the wall/box lining yet. Have some ideas.

As well as growing successfully I also want it to look nice.

So I’ve designed it like a diaspora scene. The plants will grow in pebbly stream side bliss. The stream will open out into a waterfall to cycle at the top. Then down through layers of coco peat perlite, coco peat before a steel mesh so that water (fed from irrigation pipes hidden under the top pebble layer) can also drain and be recycled and chilled again.

The “stream section” will have plastic sheet to allow it to flow separately. If it leaks off the edges thats fine. Streams do that. Below the sheet probably no coco, some perlite immediately below to mould and contour and some filler to save on medium below it.

Anyway - this is my plan so far!

Nick

IMG_2680.jpeg
IMG_2683.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom