No Pains Gorilla Glue Grow (Free Beans From Herbies) RDWC, LED, CO2

okay here we are at the middle of day 42 of 12/12. The ladies have had a res change and are at 430ppm on a 500 scale and cruising at a ph of 5.7. everything is looking good. I have included an upskirt shot to show the light penetration through that canopy that looks super dense as well a one of a stalk this are thick ladies :). On with the pic! I hope everyone is having a fantastic day !!!

side note @Delps8 ..I have read the nutrient paper 2 more to go ..Good stuff I will post about it later. Thank you again for sharing.

IMG_3717.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3721.JPG
Looking good!

I'll take that photo of the whole room and wave it at my 2' x 4' - "See, this is what you want to be when you grow up!"

The under canopy - that's "DAWA" = dark as a whale's ass. Just for the heck of it, put the PAR meter in there.

Two out of three - that's great. Hope you found them helpful.

Looking good!

I'll take that photo of the whole room and wave it at my 2' x 4' - "See, this is what you want to be when you grow up!"
Love it !
The under canopy - that's "DAWA" = dark as a whale's ass. Just for the heck of it, put the PAR meter in there.
I didnt even think of that . Great Idea! I will do that later and post it !
Two out of three - that's great. Hope you found them helpful.
I have been a little wrapped up thats why I havent gotten to the other two . Oh yes I found the first one to be very good and me and Bugbee run Parallel on some of it. I think its going to be a separate post on each paper with paper attached .

Heh, a little more leisure reading.

The big hits for me are Nutrient Solution Management and Longevity and, apparently, H2O2 is beneficial in the res "H2O2 Uses and Dilution".

The Downloads page has an Excel document that helps with understanding the elemental values of your nutes (SaltMix Excel spreadsheet)..

How are you tracking when to swap your res?

Love it !
:)

I was just in the garage and, for the first time in a long time, the plant looks good. Musta been the encouragement!

I didnt even think of that . Great Idea! I will do that later and post it !
Just for G&G, measure PPFD at varying heights below that canopy but in the open. At 1kµmol, I was seeing a 50µmol drop for a 1" drop. To my way of thinking, that's a BFD.

Another fun thing - put the sensor at the level of a given leaf, take a reading, and then put the sensor against the underside of the leaf, and take a reading. You'll need to use one of those big fan leaves to cover the sensor.

I have been a little wrapped up thats why I havent gotten to the other two . Oh yes I found the first one to be very good and me and Bugbee run Parallel on some of it. I think its going to be a separate post on each paper with paper attached .
That's great - looking forward to hearing what you think.

I was just in the garage and, for the first time in a long time, the plant looks good. Musta been the encouragement!
Awesome!
Just for G&G, measure PPFD at varying heights below that canopy but in the open. At 1kµmol, I was seeing a 50µmol drop for a 1" drop. To my way of thinking, that's a BFD.

Another fun thing - put the sensor at the level of a given leaf, take a reading, and then put the sensor against the underside of the leaf, and take a reading. You'll need to use one of those big fan leaves to cover the sensor.
Oh yeah I will for sure . Know that from the underside to the tope of the canopy its like 3 feet and 5 feet to the lights. lol . On the leaf note okay and yes I seen that in Bugbees video the difference between the green and the yellow and it made me thing that could be a reason towards the end that all Leafs yellow in nature on fruiting plants " to give all the fruits as mush light as possible towards the end as the light intensity is also weaker during that time.

Note that on the upskirt picture I used Penetration which was a poor choice for what I was going for, when in reality it was to depict the amount of light you see on the underside which should give you a good idea in regards to how well air has the ability to move through the canopy.
That's great - looking forward to hearing what you think.

Okay so today I decided to reach out to my nutrient supplier Genral Hydroponics To inquire about a couple of things and I decided to talk about my top off tank and I'm glad I did. You see I never used a top off tank until i started in rdwc as it was recommended by the maker of my system and I was also trying their nutrients. So I was using it the same way which was after a res change to mix the next weeks nutrients and that's what would be topping off the system and when it came time to do a res change as the top off tank was used for that as well all you needed to do was added the amount of solution needed for the system that had been taken up over the course of the week .

Well With the current line I'm using that is a no go this is what they told me

" nutrient solutions are only stable for a week- leaving small amounts will lead to issues moving forward as the mixing order and lifespan of the solution are highly important to keep in mind."

some may say they just want you to use more, I say its their product and if everything is currently working as per their instructions listen.

So I came home emptied my Top off tank , cleaned it and then did a res change and filled the top off with plain h20.

so we will see how it goes.

Its all a learning and every nutrient manufacture has their recommended way of doing things.

Just food for thought.

I'm going to add the above as the Jury is in and everything is stable Mable. I contacted my nutrient manufacture because I had been seeing some instability such as a steady down swing (a lot faster than anticipated) and I had it narrowed down to nutrients or the co2 I'm running in the room as co2 in the solution can cause an acid rain effect and make the solution drop. So due to the conversation that happened above I made a 100% fresh batch and cahjnged the system out and wala ..Issue is gone. So the moral of the story if you start to see rapid downward swings in your ph (I was adding up every day) and you know all other factors are in check ask yourself when you did a 100% fresh change of your solution. You can also reach out to your nutrient manufacture and inquire as to how long the solution is meant to be stable. In my case it was a week.

Now on with a couple of pics of the girls and a little game called find the jug! lol Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!
IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3741.JPG

Looking really big and healthy. :love: I use the GH nutes too, and have found I can go longer, early and late in the grow when they aren't drinking as much, with my reservoir changes.:hmmmm:
I have taken my air pumps intake up higher on the wall, instead of on the floor. I hope it doesn't overtax the air pump.:rolleyes:

Looking really big and healthy. :love: I use the GH nutes too, and have found I can go longer, early and late in the grow when they aren't drinking as much, with my reservoir changes.:hmmmm:
I have taken my air pumps intake up higher on the wall, instead of on the floor. I hope it doesn't overtax the air pump.:rolleyes:
thank you .. you run flood and drain right ? in my rdwc if I had been following the top off with plain water and when you reach the system volume having been topped up, change the solution . I would have been fine. I was topping up with nutrient solution as I am using a top up tank on a float valve and when my 7 days was up I was just mixing what i needed to, to get the top up tank to system with 1/2 of system capacity left in the tank after the change . Thats what cause the issue.
In veg I didn't have an issue because I wasn't using the tank as they weren't drinking an average of 7 gallons a day . lol

As far as your air pump I have mine a tad over 6 ' on the wall and it does fine ..I read somewhere that having it above the water level is actually easier on the pump.

thank you .. you run flood and drain right ? in my rdwc if I had been following the top off with plain water and when you reach the system volume having been topped up, change the solution . I would have been fine. I was topping up with nutrient solution as I am using a top up tank on a float valve and when my 7 days was up I was just mixing what i needed to, to get the top up tank to system with 1/2 of system capacity left in the tank after the change . Thats what cause the issue.
In veg I didn't have an issue because I wasn't using the tank as they weren't drinking an average of 7 gallons a day . lol

As far as your air pump I have mine a tad over 6 ' on the wall and it does fine ..I read somewhere that having it above the water level is actually easier on the pump.
Yes, I run a flood and drain. :) I top of with tap water between changes, no nutes added just PH the reservoir if needed. I've always wondered about nutrient imbalance when adding nutrients between changes.:hmmmm:
I mounted the air pumps on the wall and then added a short length of hose to intake on the pump to get the intake well above where I'll have the CO2 sensor, in hopes of putting less CO2 in my reservoir. :hmmmm:
Just don't know if the added length of hose will make the pump have to run harder, kinda like the more effort required to breath through a snorkel when swimming.:)

I'm going to add the above as the Jury is in and everything is stable Mable. I contacted my nutrient manufacture because I had been seeing some instability such as a steady down swing (a lot faster than anticipated) and I had it narrowed down to nutrients or the co2 I'm running in the room as co2 in the solution can cause an acid rain effect and make the solution drop. So due to the conversation that happened above I made a 100% fresh batch and cahjnged the system out and wala ..Issue is gone. So the moral of the story if you start to see rapid downward swings in your ph (I was adding up every day) and you know all other factors are in check ask yourself when you did a 100% fresh change of your solution. You can also reach out to your nutrient manufacture and inquire as to how long the solution is meant to be stable. In my case it was a week.

Now on with a couple of pics of the girls and a little game called find the jug! lol Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!
IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3741.JPG
Damn Pain most excellent grow !

Yes, I run a flood and drain. :) I top of with tap water between changes, no nutes added just PH the reservoir if needed. I've always wondered about nutrient imbalance when adding nutrients between changes.:hmmmm:
The issue wasnt topping off with nutrient solution instead of water. It was that I had say 40 gallons of solution mixed up in my top off tank after I did a res change and I would add to that for the next res change and in doing so I could wind up with part of the mixture going past a two week marker let alone one week. :)
I mounted the air pumps on the wall and then added a short length of hose to intake on the pump to get the intake well above where I'll have the CO2 sensor, in hopes of putting less CO2 in my reservoir. :hmmmm:
Just don't know if the added length of hose will make the pump have to run harder, kinda like the more effort required to breath through a snorkel when swimming.:)
I suppose it would depend on the pump and what its rated for as when I extended mine, I noticed no difference, but it's a septic/pond pump and I want to say that the pressure/airflow rating is rated for a length of 30ft. I would have to look it up again to be 100% certian.
Thirsty little beggars, eh?
yes they are !!!
Damn Pain most excellent grow !
Thank you very much!!

Okay so It appears that I will be changing my nutrients out every 4 days with the way these ladies are feeding and the new schedule that I am following ..That being when you have replaced used solution with water and the replacement equaling the system capacity or the nutrients become unstable. Based on what I'm seeing is they become unstable around the 80-85% replacement marker and by unstable I am referring to a fast downward swing in PH. Up unti that marker the system was rock solid.

Also In my conversation with GH I inquired about an rdwc Feed chart . Why ? Well less is more right , at least back in the day that was definitely the case and with some manufactures it still is . Here is the feed chart that I use and I started with the aggressive model in veg through 2 weeks of 12/12. I had seen a little tip burn and figured I would back off and this was prior to my conversation with them . After I talked to them and changed my res, for that feed I decided to use the medium. Now understand prior to this I was seeing and upswing in ppm . Well Much to my surprise in less than 12 hours these ladies knocked that medium feed down by over 100ppm!! So what does that mean, It means that when it becomes unstable your plants aren't feeding correctly. Lesson learned. So with the change happening this morning I am back to the aggressive and will monitor. So what did they say you ask ? here it is .
"
s9Jp487RnDwQaIvJxGGFcPMLKqAaw&usqp=CAU&ec=45707745.png

Good morning, Our usage ranges on our feed charts are sound for all hydroponic systems, including DWC, which does not have specialized needs outside of other systems.

You need to pick a feed range based on plant size, using the feed chart usage guide here:

Feedchart Usage Guide

The information in the usage guide, coupled with your environment will most likely have you start at light, moving up to medium if and when you find the need to do so.

On another note, I posted this in Frequently asked questions yesterday. It comes from a well-known Breeder and I felt it had a lot of Helpful Information.Everything you need to know about flowering stages through when to harvest.

Hope The information helps. Pictures of the ladies to come later and well they are doing great !

Attachments

• GH_FloraSeries_FeedCharts_USD_05_WeeklyCustom.pdf
    894.1 KB · Views: 5
alrighty so res changed and it was yoyo time! On with the pics! Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!
IMG_3746.JPG
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3748.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG

quick little update Checking my girls this morning and saw that even on the aggressive feed schedule they knocked down the ppm by over 100 and the solution ph is stable Mable at 6.3. I will not be going beyond this feed regiment as with changing the res every 4 days and the ph staying stable until then , I feel this is feed is more than suitable for their needs and also by the flower growth that I am seeing within this time frame. While I was there I took a quick close up as when the lights are on the pictures do not do the frost that is appearing justice. Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!!
IMG_3751.JPG

okay so just did a res change ..yes these ladies consumed about 28 gallons in 4 days and the ph had been so steady at 6.2 that i thought my probe went out. lol . They where started on week 6 aggressive feed of my feed schedule(as based on what i see ,this is where they should be on the feed) and co2 was bumped down to 700 with a + or - band of 100ppm. room temp tuned down to 75 , rh 55 and water temp 68 fall is coming :).

So on changing the Res ..first I am one that consistently will push the envelope and through my failures I will find success. After the discussion that I had with the nutrient manufacture I had a change in perspective. In the past I would have let it ride since the ph was stable the ppms on the other hand where down by about 200 and who knows what was in that 200. So, I followed their instructions and that being change the res when it becomes unstable or after you have topped it off with an equal amount of water.

Ever since my conversation and adhering to the plan/instructions everything has been great. So why didn't I do that in the first place? Well This is the first run getting back to The original line I had started with in the beginning "Genral hydroponics" and my experience with all the other brands along the way and even with Gen Hydro in the beginning was less is more. Well based on my conversation and with what I'm seeing I feel that they have actually dialed it all in for us growers. Meaning look at their usage chart (plant count and size, don't worry about the type of system as that is what I was told). I can't confirm or deny my findings in regards to any other line or feed schedule, Only what I am using now. As this is actually the first time I have followed anything of the sort due to it's inconsistently in the past.

the biggest problems with hydroponic solutions generally are that the formula is to strong and will burn your plants. Following the weekly feed schedule push my plants right to tip burn nothing more. (I did back down a tad when I saw it , With the knowledge I have now I feel that I would have been 100% fine leaving it alone.)

The next issue is Ph fluctuation or instability . On that note My thoughts as of right now is let it drift within the set parameters of your nutrient manufactures recommendations for my line is 5.5-6.5 ..I start out at 6.3 and let it go, I do not chase it(at one point in my life I did, It just had to be perfect.lol)and have found not only less anxiety and res maintenance but better results. In regards to instability well I classify that is you have a hard down swing meaning you adjust it up to say 6.3 and within 8 hours its hitting 5.5 or 5.4 ..in that situation I recommend changing the solution and at most adjusting it up one more time. Given all other things are in check such as temp and potential root rot (that's a different story)

so again I urge you to reach out to the nutrient manufacture of the line you use. tell them what kind of system you are running and if their current feed schedule aligns with that type of system along with asking about the ph range and how long their solution is designed to be stable after mixing. Hopefully they have good customer service and support and you will get some fantastic information to aid you in doing the best thing for your plants.

Hope you found at least some of this information useful and are having a blessed day !

Alrighty Girls are doing great , added a few more YoYo's,alien tracker beams , Bud grapplers as we had some more leaners (which I am grateful for :) ) Put a gallon jug up for some size comparison and some bud shots for the crowd as well as myself. Tomorrow they will get another res change as they are still hitting it good at about 7 gallons a day . On with the pics , I hope everyone is having a Fantastic day !!

Before Yoyo's
1.JPG

after Yoyo's

2.JPG

The rest of the fun !
3.JPG
IMG_3798.JPG
IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3806.JPG
IMG_3807.JPG

With today marking new beginnings. I'm going to put down 1 bean to start and take clones off her and run the clones in my set up . I have always wanted to run them but never had. So this is just a little precursor to the future of the next journal!
humboldt.JPG

Back
Top Bottom