Northern Lights #5 x Haze Nebula The Purps - 4th LED Grow

Scrog + defol... DO IT!!! LOL!
Oh it's going down bro, definitely a fan of defoliation, and the SCROG is already in motion. I haven't done any full defols or anything, but I've been plucking big fan leaves the size of average hands or bigger. Every time I pluck leaves, they just comeback so fast. The last grow, the lights don't penetrate well enough past 12" and in my opinion, 3 cuts for indoor plants really takes forever to build thick stems for thick buds. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Manifolding outside with the long Vegetative period and the Natural Sunlight would do exceptional well with all the time to recover and build back BIG stems. That being said, the holy grail monster that yielded 15+ outside last year, topped once and LST(keeping flat as possible), the main stems of the biggest branches were almost finger thick. Even the "smaller" branches were leaning over like crazy, had to stake them, I usually don't have to stake plants outdoors, she demanded it the last few weeks. I've always topped once or twice with my plants outside with great success so this grow inside topped once for 8 branches (5th node, removed first node). The plan is to fill that screen up and remove most of the lower branches and leaves 5-7 days prior to flip when the screen is close to filled. They are currently a few inches away from the screen, I really need to get some pictures up soon, really laggin' on this journal.

sorry did a double post, couldn't figure out how to delete it so instead i wanted to wish you a happy holidays! but i wanted to also say this journal was a great read, going to read through your other grows! :volcano-smiley:

lol sorry noob over here <<<
I appreciate the support 420 friend, no need to be sorry, looks like a good double post to me. :peace:

Your logic is sound in my opinion. I think you will rock this one out the park. I'm also fairly new to defol, but my blue cheese yielded 76g without the popcorn bud which I added to the trim. I should have removed a few more lower branches in hindsight. Still, it is my biggest yielding plant to date, and I don't veg my plants long either. So I'm very happy. The other 2 plants I have are busy drying now. Will be interesting to see what they yield.

Your logic is sound in my opinion. I think you will rock this one out the park. I'm also fairly new to defol, but my blue cheese yielded 76g without the popcorn bud which I added to the trim. I should have removed a few more lower branches in hindsight. Still, it is my biggest yielding plant to date, and I don't veg my plants long either. So I'm very happy. The other 2 plants I have are busy drying now. Will be interesting to see what they yield.
I'm headed your way soon, can't wait to catch up.

01/09/2016 NL #5 X Haze Nebula The Purps Day 48 from Seed

These ladies spent almost 5 weeks on 24/7 under a smaller LED light in my closet and have been under the 400's for almost 2 weeks on 18/6 light schedule. The two bigger plants are almost hitting the Screen, the Middle plant, which is NL#5, is sitting on a brick since she is a bit shorter. I just grabbed a brick from outside, cleaned it, threw it in a white garbage bag. I have been watering every 4 days right on schedule. I usually go 3 days in transition/stretch phase, and into early/mid flower, then back to 4 days with the smart pots. They are really settling into the 5gal Smarties this last week, feeling nice and solid and trunks are thickening nicely. The Purps (left plant) is a vigorous plant that is responding to the LST and flattening nicely. The middle plant, NL5, has branches everywhere, I've already started thinning all plants of sucker shoots that have no chance of making it to the screen. The right plant, Nebula, she is a big wide Momma too, loving the training, within hours, pointing right back up. She is also almost to the Screen, maybe an inch give or take.

Over the last 3 days, I've been plucking big monster leaves and sucker shoots prepping for flower hopefully week 9, having the 5 week head start, it doesn't feel like a long grow. :) All the plants have responded well to the defoliation, I'm doing a gradual plucking this round, just opening up the canopy since leaves are dense in all these plants. Every time the light comes back on at 7pm, more leaves take there place.

Alright all, there you have it, I'm going to get back on track with this Journal so here's some pictures for your viewing entertainment. :volcano-smiley:

P10509851.JPG
P10509861.JPG
P10509871.JPG
P1050988.JPG
P10509891.JPG
P1050992.JPG
P10509901.JPG

The newer Model Mars 400's the mounting points are different, so I added some garden wire, otherwise the light will be in a diamond shape and I like them square.
P1050991.JPG

Those plants look exceptionally healthy. This is going to be a good run. I can feel it.

Those plants look exceptionally healthy. This is going to be a good run. I can feel it.

Yeah man, these babies are killing it and looking fine. There at the pvc piping now so another half inch or so to the screen. Last SCROG, I flipped to early when the plants were a few inches from the screen and ended up with 3oz in my old 2x2 tent. This round, I'm going to apply what I've learned and fill that screen for a true SCROG. I'm hoping 8-9 weeks from seed(week 7 today), not against ten weeks since a head start with this grow, but I don't think they will need it. 60 days from seed would be nice, we will soon see. :volcano-smiley:

01/14/2016 NL#5 X Haze Nebula The Purps Day 53 from Seed

All is going well with the girls, I've been pulling smaller shoots and BIG leaves here and there gradually. These pictures are from a few days ago, the light is off currently, but I'll get some shots either tonight or tomorrow. They are at the screen now and I've been training a few branches here and there. I'm hoping by next Sunday to flip them, if not, the following Sunday. I want to really fill the space so we will see. Enjoy! :volcano-smiley:

P10600012.JPG
P10600021.JPG
P10600031.JPG
P10600041.JPG
P1060005.JPG

Looking good brother. Do you remove the screen when you feed/water, or does it stay in place until the end??

Looking good brother. Do you remove the screen when you feed/water, or does it stay in place until the end??
The Screen is fixed in place nice and snug. I cut down some bamboo stakes(for legs)and tied the screen down thru the bottom tent poles. The Screen is very secure. :)

I clipped more of the under growth to really focus on the branches that are staying. The plants are drinking more lately and plants are very sturdy as far as trunk not moving at all now. I can tell the roots are thick now and imbedded in the smart pots. These girls are really starting to take off and I still haven't fed them anything other than the beginning of the last transplant. There are just a few areas I would like to fill in so excited another bloom session is coming up fast. I will know next Sunday if I am going one more week... Or not. :volcano-smiley:

NL#5 X Haze Nebula The Purps Day 57 from Seed

All is well and hoping to flip within a week or two, just trying to be patient at this point. I've been real busy lately so I'm just tucking branches here and there and letting them be. Here is some current pictures from just a little while ago.

P10600071.JPG
P10600081.JPG
P1060009.JPG
P1060010.JPG
P1060012.JPG
P1060013.JPG

I love the colour of those big fan leaves. Can't wait to see what they do in flower. Is it not a pain in the ass trying to water them under the screen?

I love the colour of those big fan leaves. Can't wait to see what they do in flower. Is it not a pain in the ass trying to water them under the screen?
I have trimmed most of the lower growth already so it's no different watering. I use a quart or half gallon jug to completely saturate the entire smart pot. Next time I take pictures, I'll take a bottom view shot.

01/25/2016 I'll go ahead and change my format from left to right.

The Purps NL #5 X Haze Nebula

I gave them there first feeding Saturday, 1.5Tbls of Fish Emulsion per gal, 2 teaspoons of Catalyst, and a big tsp of Sweet Raw. Nothing big since they are growing fine, I did notice today though a nice spurt of growth when I checked them. As a matter of fact, the past two days so that makes sense, they enjoyed the feeding. These pots from transplant are right around 5.5-6 weeks in so it's definitely time to boost them. I'll be flipping the switch this Sunday, that will be 70 days and I'm not going any further. I went 73 with the Manifolding project so it will be cool to see the different in almost identical time frames, the big difference I can think of is these plants went almost 5 weeks straight 24/7. Either way, it's going down this Sunday. I should have to water tomorrow night, then Friday, and Monday will be the first official day of Flower so a Transition Phase feeding will be in Order. On with the show! :volcano-smiley:

P1060014.JPG
P1060015.JPG
P1060016.JPG
P1060019.JPG
P10600201.JPG
P10600221.JPG
P10600231.JPG
P1060018.JPG
P1060017.JPG

I see that screen has filled out nicely. Will be interesting to see how the different training techniques yield.

I see that screen has filled out nicely. Will be interesting to see how the different training techniques yield.
I know from my last SCROG, this one is WAY fuller and I pulled 3 in the old 2x2(technically short of 2x2 since in milimeters). And that was 2-3 inches from Screen when light cycle changed, these are at the Screen and then some. The sad thing is, I will be taking a break for awhile, I promised the misses and I'm well stocked up so it's the right thing to do. I don't even need these three plants, I just enjoy this hobby so much I can't stop growing plants. I'll be shutting down the indoor, but another Outdoor season is coming up FAST! So even though I'm shutting the indoor project down, I always have something going on, I can't help myself. I'm babbling, must be the Holy Grail. :) :volcano-smiley:

01/28/2016 The Purps NL#5 X Haze Nebula

I gave the plants straight water last night, when the light came on at 7pm, crazy growth spurt over the dark period. I've been training branches every day for over a week. Tonight is the first night that I had to tuck quite a few branches flat. Usually, just a few here and there, but there were nodes popping up everywhere when I checked on them. The main branches are hitting the outter area so I'm right on target. I just want to keep them pretty flat until flip, then let em rise up and train the taller ones if needed. I can't wait, I love the transition phase to flower. To be honest, I enjoy the entire process, especially from a tiny spec of nothing to gorgeous frosty goodness. Picture Update Enjoy!!

P10600241.JPG
P10600251.JPG
P10600261.JPG
P10600271.JPG
P10600281.JPG
P10600291.JPG
P1060030.JPG
P1060031.JPG

Looking excellent bud. Nice tidy set up you have going. I'm confused, have you flipped now or still waiting?

02/04/2016 The Purps(BCBD) NL#5 X Haze Nebula Day 4 Bloom

Light came on at seven, ready for a feeding, been watering every 3 days 3/4 of a gallon per plant.
Today's feeding: Earth Juice Grow 2tsp, Bloom 1tsp, Catalyst 1tsp, Micro 1tsp, Meta-K .25tsp, and 1tsp of Sweet Raw.
This a nice mild transition phase feeding(I could go stronger but I feed every watering, I like smaller doses every 3 days rather than a big feeding every other drench), just in 4 days they've already grown quite a bit and have plenty of stretch phase to go. Once they hit three weeks and stretch is over, I will remove any branches that didn't quite make it to the screen. I've already trimmed most of the undergrowth, but more will pop up and will have to go. I did some light LST tonight, just bent over a few of the taller ones, but there going up fairly even so far, I just need to stay on top of it while there still growing vertically. Other than that, a trouble free grow so far, I think the NL#5 went a little short on Nitrogen, a few early light yellow leaves late in Veg but, nothing worth crying about, I kinda just wanted to see how far the soil would take them, and I did, right around 5 - 5.5 weeks, not bad for a light Organic Veg Recipe. Enjoy!!

P1060032.JPG
P1060033.JPG
P1060034.JPG
P1060035.JPG
P1060036.JPG
P1060038.JPG
P1060039.JPG
P1060040.JPG

Back
Top Bottom