Nute burn or deficiency?

:helpsmilie:

Hi all! New grower here and I'm encountering my first obstacle with growing in a DWC setup. My plant is currently on Day 28 from seed and was doing fine until the last couple of days. Two days ago I noticed some of the older leaf tips starting to turn brown on the rim and yellow-ish around the middle of the leaves. Yesterday I noticed that some of the newer leaves are starting to do it and today I noticed the very newest growth is starting to show signs of turning yellow-ish.

Here's a pic of the biggest leaf damage:

Day_28_pics_001.JPG

Here's a picture of the newest growth showing signs of discoloration. You can't really get a good idea of the color difference in these pics, but under the LED light in the grow tent it's a lot more noticeable. Look very closely at the newest growth and you can see the color difference.

Day_28_pics_003.JPG

Here are the latest stats from my most current readings:

Strain: C4 Auto feminized
Day of Growth (from seed): 28
Growing medium: DWC 3.5 gallon reservoir with pumice-like grow stones
Water temp: 63.5
pH: 6.1 on 1/15/17, lowered to 5.3 today (1/16/17)
PPM: 662
Humidity: 50%
Ambient temp: 73.5

Nutrients: General Hydroponics Flora Series (Micro, Gro, and Bloom)
Additives: Rapid Start root enhancer, Floraliscious Plus (first used 2 days ago), Armor Si (first used 2 days ago)

On another web site I found some pictures of leaf damage and the corresponding problem and I'm leaning towards a Potassium deficiency. My pH was consistently at or above 6.1 for a full week (since my last water change a week ago) and from what I read, if the pH doesn't get to 5.8 or below at least some of the time, then Potassium is locked out. Am I correct in thinking this?

Assuming I'm correct, I lowered the pH just now to 5.3 to give it lots of time to creep up above 5.8 again. Is this the best way to address the problem or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

I'm open to any and all feedback and thanks for taking the time to read this! Cheers peeps!

:thanks:

Hi all! New grower here and I'm encountering my first obstacle with growing in a DWC setup. My plant is currently on Day 28 from seed and was doing fine until the last couple of days. Two days ago I noticed some of the older leaf tips starting to turn brown on the rim and yellow-ish around the middle of the leaves. Yesterday I noticed that some of the newer leaves are starting to do it and today I noticed the very newest growth is starting to show signs of turning yellow-ish.

Day_28_pics_001.JPG

Here's a picture of the newest growth showing signs of discoloration. You can't really get a good idea of the color difference in these pics, but under the LED light in the grow tent it's a lot more noticeable. Look very closely at the newest growth and you can see the color difference.

Day_28_pics_003.JPG

Additives: Rapid Start root enhancer, Floraliscious Plus (first used 2 days ago), Armor Si (first used 2 days ago)

On another web site I found some pictures of leaf damage and the corresponding problem and I'm leaning towards a Potassium deficiency. My pH was consistently at or above 6.1 for a full week (since my last water change a week ago) and from what I read, if the pH doesn't get to 5.8 or below at least some of the time, then Potassium is locked out. Am I correct in thinking this?

Assuming I'm correct, I lowered the pH just now to 5.3 to give it lots of time to creep up above 5.8 again. Is this the best way to address the problem or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

I'm open to any and all feedback and thanks for taking the time to read this! Cheers peeps!

Everything u have said is true but i believe 5.3 is to low I've always strive for 5.8 -6.2 only and I've hade very good luck with my grows I can go weeks at a time without adjusting my ph but by the end of that week I do water changes anyways and start back at 5.8 now the only time I do have to ph is when I top off and that's a gallon at at time every few days

Day_28_pics_001.JPG

Day_28_pics_003.JPG

No cal-mag??

Sent from my Robin using 420

Day_28_pics_001.JPG

Day_28_pics_003.JPG

In hydro you wanna keep the ph between 5.8 - 6.2

Your temps seems to be ok. 76-78 degrees temp in the tent is optimal and the temp of water should be around 65-68 degrees. But you're within range so you're alright. I would try and keep the ph between 5.8 - 6.2

And 662 ppm seems a little too high for a plant that age. You should shoot for somewhere around 400-500 ppm

What is your mixture ? How much of each do you mix in a gallon ?

And what did you learn from those charts that will help your situation Iceman420 ?

Well there my friend I'm not really a trouble shooter on growth problems but I do keep those charts handy look likes it could really b a number of things and I don't like to guess but I'd think it's a zinc or nitrogen prob without really knowing the full story like room temp humidity closeness of the lights down to how much air is blowing across the plant really I have no idea but maybe the charts can help the one who needs help. Personally I'd chance the whole Rez and run ph water for a few days and then re supply the nutrients at a lower ppm

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for the feedback everyone! So here's what I gather from the various posts:

• Cal-mag - no, I don't have any yet but just ordered some from Amazon. Will arrive tomorrow.
  • Nitrogen/Potassium - thanks for the chart comparisons. They look slightly different from the pictures on the growing weed easy website. On the web site I definitely match the picture of P deficiency, but on the chart it looks more like N. So now I'm more confused.
  • Reservoir change - I think it's a good idea. My PPMs have crept up to 716, which is too high. I'll do a water change today with pH-adjusted water and minimal nutes. Then I'll add the cal-mag tomorrow when it arrives.

I hope that will clear things up. I notice a couple of the newer leaves this morning are starting to get discolored tips, so it's definitely still spreading. My pH is up to 5.7 today, so I'm gonna try and keep it there for the next couple days and see how things go.

Thanks for the continuing feedback and help, folks! I truly appreciate it! Will post another update tomorrow or as conditions warrant.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! So here's what I gather from the various posts:

• Cal-mag - no, I don't have any yet but just ordered some from Amazon. Will arrive tomorrow.
  • Nitrogen/Potassium - thanks for the chart comparisons. They look slightly different from the pictures on the growing weed easy website. On the web site I definitely match the picture of P deficiency, but on the chart it looks more like N. So now I'm more confused.
  • Reservoir change - I think it's a good idea. My PPMs have crept up to 716, which is too high. I'll do a water change today with pH-adjusted water and minimal nutes. Then I'll add the cal-mag tomorrow when it arrives.

I hope that will clear things up. I notice a couple of the newer leaves this morning are starting to get discolored tips, so it's definitely still spreading. My pH is up to 5.7 today, so I'm gonna try and keep it there for the next couple days and see how things go.

Thanks for the continuing feedback and help, folks! I truly appreciate it! Will post another update tomorrow or as conditions warrant.

What's your mixture dude ? How much of each do you add?

For me the charts help to know if its a micro nutrient or a macro nutrient thats the problem , micro nutrients show up on new growth first , Macro the old growth first

It can help to set a timeline to when and what caused the problems , what was done or not done such as not increasing the nutrient strength during a growth spurt etc. etc.

Sometimes the plant needs a straight up Micro boost nothing else

I read over the charts when ever faced with issues to be sure I fix the right problem.

With Cannabis its *like* Cal Mag is a Macro nutrient (maybe it is) the way the plants consume it and it shows up as a deficiency on the older leaves like the Macros NPK's.

What's your mixture dude ? How much of each do you add?

Hi Pagoda! So here's my nute mix. As mentioned in my original post, I'm using General Hyrdoponics Micro Flora Series. Here's what I added to the new water change I did today:

Flora Micro: 7.5ml
Flora Gro: 10ml
Flora Bloom: 2.5ml
Rapidstart Root Enhancer: 2.5ml
Floraliscious Plus: 1ml

This brought my PPMs down from 722 to 612. Do you suppose that's still too high?

After making these changes, how long will it take for changes to show (or damage to stop spreading)?

After symptoms first showing up two days ago, the two biggest fan leaves now look like this:

Day_29_pics_020.JPG

Day_29_pics_021.JPG

Hi Pagoda! So here's my nute mix. As mentioned in my original post, I'm using General Hyrdoponics Micro Flora Series. Here's what I added to the new water change I did today:

Flora Micro: 7.5ml
Flora Gro: 10ml
Flora Bloom: 2.5ml
Rapidstart Root Enhancer: 2.5ml
Floraliscious Plus: 1ml

Day_29_pics_021.JPG

Retake those pics under a white light for diagnosis, never blurple lights.

Retake those pics under a white light for diagnosis, never blurple lights.

That mixture is giving you an NPK ratio of 1-2.6-1.2

That's too high of Phosphorus you need to lower that ratio down a little.

If you're still in veg you wanna shoot for something around 1-.5-1.5. 1-1-1.5 can be used as well.

Pure. Potent. Vapor

That mixture is giving you an NPK ratio of 1-2.6-1.2

That's too high of Phosphorus you need to lower that ratio down a little.

If you're still in veg you wanna shoot for something around 1-.5-1.5. 1-1-1.5 can be used as well.

Pure. Potent. Vapor

Thanks, Pagoda! I just got some cal-mag today and added that in. I guess I'll have to give it a couple of days to be sure the damage stops spreading before I know if it's working. If it's not, come Friday I'll probably do another water change and this time lower the dosage of Micro Gro (I think that's the one that contains Phosphorus).

After adding in the Cal-Mag, my PPMs shot up to 902! Is that supposed to happen and is that too high? The GH feeding chart has PPMs of ~1300 for the end stage of vegetation, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to be shooting for those ranges, am I?

Thanks, Pagoda! I just got some cal-mag today and added that in. I guess I'll have to give it a couple of days to be sure the damage stops spreading before I know if it's working. If it's not, come Friday I'll probably do another water change and this time lower the dosage of Micro Gro (I think that's the one that contains Phosphorus).

After adding in the Cal-Mag, my PPMs shot up to 902! Is that supposed to happen and is that too high? The GH feeding chart has PPMs of ~1300 for the end stage of vegetation, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to be shooting for those ranges, am I?

Yeah that's way too much. How old is that plant? Don't ever go by what they recommend on the bottle. Always use 1/4 strength and work your way up.

What kind of cal mg did you buy

Pure. Potent. Vapor

Yeah that's way too much. How old is that plant? Don't ever go by what they recommend on the bottle. Always use 1/4 strength and work your way up.

What kind of cal mg did you buy

Pure. Potent. Vapor

Hi Pagoda, my plant is currently Day 31. To answer your question about cal mag, I bought Cal Mag Plus. It was after adding the cal-mag yesterday that the PPMs shot up to 902. I topped off the reservoir today with some plain pH-adjusted water and it brought the PPMs down to 802 or so.

Damage has spread overnight. The worst leaves now look like this and it's spreading to more leaves:

Day_31_pics_003.JPG

Day_31_pics_002.JPG

Day_31_pics_001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom