Oldnoob's First Grow: Starting From Scratch!

Happy to have you here eatmorefruit. Are you going to start a journal? Great way to share your knowledge or ask for help (as you have seen here!)

Continuing to make progress on the environment. Got the new fan. Has anyone heard of / or use a 'mixed flow' fan? Did a bit of online research and came across these units. They sound almost too good to be true. I bought the smallest of the line (4"). Extremely low power consumption, unbelievably quiet and still moves a good bit of air. I don't use a carbon filter as smell is not an issue for me (at least not yet :wood:)

IMG_038248.JPG

They are pretty versatile as well. Apparently they can go anywhere in the line with no loss of function. The motor is rated for 50,000 hours! Like I said - sounds too good to be true but I'm gonna try one out!

Anyway, its now installed and running. i've upped the thermostat a bit as temps are dipping below 70 - thats kinda cool for led's isn't it? Also found another humidifier and with the enhanced ventilation, I'm not too concerned about condensation/freezing. Will find out soon - the weather is supposed to take another plunge in temps.

I'm going to get this dialled in. Hopefully before I run out of money! :thumb:

After a few days, i think i'm getting some control of the environment. Temps have stayed in the upper 70's and RH is about 35 to 40%. Thats as good as i've ever been able to get and it seems to be fairly consistent. At least as far as i trust the min/max thermometer/hygrometer i got from wallymart. Sometimes the max numbers are like 103.4 degrees and 95%. Any tips on monitoring or is this just something one sees on these little devices?

Could someone give me an opinion about this plant? In my construction efforts, my Mars-Hydro 400 LED was hung 16 inches (40 cm) above the plant. Is what I'm seeing here bleaching? Or something else?

IMG_038450.JPG

It could be bleaching, is it only on new growth?

I see a red leaf tip or two in the bottom though, and the yellowing makes me think of nute lock out..

probs.jpg

Thanks AB. Good info! I'm not sure a nute lock out is the problem. Only noticed the yellowing on the new growth that was exposed to the light. The tips shaded by the fan leaves look ok. I raised the light - didn't measure but its higher. More reading on the site and I found a thread specific to Mars-Hydro 400w LED….. After reading through it, I'm certain I had the light too close - at least for starting young plants. I'll see what happens over the next couple days….

I started a second plant a couple weeks after this one. its been getting the same treatment and no yellowing on it. It is off to the side somewhat so maybe not quite as intense light.
IMG_038549.JPG

I suspect the red leaf tips are due to very poor conditions a while back. It was cool and dry in the room for a while...:oops:

Aaaaahh. Education. Always fun!

I've been thinking about what you were saying about lockout AB. Do you think a water flush would be a good idea? I don't usually get much runoff when i water - maybe i should water more to get more runoff as well?

I don't want to change too many things at once so i can identify my problem (and avoid repeating the error) but i do want to get this plant growing well too. Thanks again for your help.
:hmmmm:

heya noober,, cheers to you friend,, apologies for my absence ,

i sure wish i knew every plant problem and how to solve them, instinctively, sure would be nice. i have been very fortunate because things just kinda worked right from the beginning,, no record breaking plants but healthy and happy,, i battle some bugs and poor conditions but does not seem to slow me down much,,

the only thing i can see that looks familiar with your plants is it looks like overwatering,, i would have to read back more to appreciate the whole situation,, but i have seen that look, mostly on smaller plants

the lights being too close,, sixteen inches i think you said,, mars 400, well, maybe,, my mars 300 was barely further than that and no issues,, and i have plants within a few inches of it now, no issues, other than the plants are ridiculously out of control,, my fault. young plants too close i think can be an issue. stale air, for sure, a problem,, but when i started i had staleish air as well,, no problem

well, i just can't think of any rh, temp, nute, air, issue that would make a plant look that way,, but i can think of a watering issue that would.

best karma sent friend,,

Welcome back north amigo!:icon_roll: Bet you loved your first shovelling after getting home!

Thanks for looking in. One thing i have been almost religiously faithful with has been the watering. I have been waiting till the pot is dry - testing by weight still - small plant. I know its hardly any time since moving the light, but I think (might just be wishful viewing) that the green is coming back. haven't watered or flushed or anything but move the light. Temps and RH look lots better but I am starting to hate this little meter. Any recommendations for an inexpensive min/max thermo/hygro meter? This one never gives honest numbers for max reading now.

Latest pics

IMG_038752.JPG
IMG_038844.JPG

Things are starting to look better.

Curious about your water source. Hard or soft? Are you testing ph in soil? Sorry if you ahve already stated, I read the entire thread thus far but, forgot if it was mentioned .

Three things that looked like a problem were seeds, soil and space. Your grow room is great. However looking a bit spacey for wee plants. Seedlings like cozy quarters. Your light source at first was definitely too much, and I thought that the germinating soil had too much punch but that is probably just me.

A small gentle breeze would be good for now, air flow will be an issue more so when they get bigger. The grow space looks quiet open and for young ones could be plenty air. .

I will take photo at some point today of my 7 seedlings for 7 stoners in my 3x3 tent. Will send to you.

Looking good.-♀️

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks eat. Just filled the humidifiers and took a look. (No pics) Definitely looking better.

I'm using RO water with a well as original source. No chlorine or fluorine. Should be quite soft after the RO i think. Haven't checked the soil pH - not even sure how to do it. Only been watering with diluted urine (i know it sounds gross but it's actually a very good fertilizer - check it out, you might be surprised.) and I've been adjusting the ph with wood ash. (from clean wood in my stove) prior to use. Want to go with a LOS so working with these for nutes now. Thinking of powdered eggshells for calcium if required. You get the idea….

The space is large for the plant i'm growing now but the plan was to get a perpetual up and running once the room is proven. i continue to work on some construction for a future veg space under the current flowering space i'm using. Got the idea from nivek and i think it will work out perfectly for my needs/wants when i get it completed. I do have a fan moving the air about, its necessary to keep temps stable too.

Thanks eat. Just filled the humidifiers and took a look. (No pics) Definitely looking better.

I'm using RO water with a well as original source. No chlorine or fluorine. Should be quite soft after the RO i think. Haven't checked the soil pH - not even sure how to do it. Only been watering with diluted urine (i know it sounds gross but it's actually a very good fertilizer - check it out, you might be surprised.) and I've been adjusting the ph with wood ash. (from clean wood in my stove) prior to use. Want to go with a LOS so working with these for nutes now. Thinking of powdered eggshells for calcium if required. You get the idea....

The space is large for the plant i'm growing now but the plan was to get a perpetual up and running once the room is proven. i continue to work on some construction for a future veg space under the current flowering space i'm using. Got the idea from nivek and i think it will work out perfectly for my needs/wants when i get it completed. I do have a fan moving the air about, its necessary to keep temps stable too.

You can pick a little ph kit at any nursery OR you can get this cool German made ph pen, I❤️German engineering! ..

Post pics when ya can!.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Now on the road to recovery. Did a flush a couple days ago with pH 6.8 water. Runoff was about 5.5. Plant seems to be greening up again. New growth (finally).
IMG_039445.JPG

And the side kick
IMG_039361.JPG

I also found out the humidifier was running full tilt till it was empty - that explains the RH swings on the min/max unit! :hmmmm:

Once again, thanks for the guidance. I'll get there eventually...

Yay, looking a bit better for sure, good stuff, an adjustment here, a fine tune there, all will be good,

Plant looks great other than the colour, I got some green paint would fix that old growth right up,, new growth lookin good,, cheers friend,,:high-five:

:volcano-smiley:

Now there's an idea nivek. Perhaps we could come up with a whole line of foiliars? :idea:
Good for whatever, we can fix that strange colour! What colour would you like?:thumb:

Now. Under license from "nivek labooraatoories's……...

I've been busy constructing. This is the veg light setup. I installed black painted baffles to hopefully block light from getting through to the flower chamber above but still allow air to flow. Strange perspective - i was on my back on the floor.
IMG_039648.JPG

This is with the reflector panel (painted flat white) installed
IMG_039842.JPG

And what it looks like from the front. Divided it into three sections hence the three switches.
IMG_039945.JPG

Just a bit more to go and i should have a dedicated veg area.

On another note…

these plants continue to educate me in the most gentle of ways.

I think the lesson here is that I must provide a more stable environment.

IMG_040147.JPG

This little lady is showing pistils. She has been under 18 hour lights on and is still going to flower. This is supposed to be a photo strain so the only reason I can think of for flowering already is environmental stress. And lord knows she's experienced that!

I had planned on growing her longer while working out the grow room problems. Guess she has other plans.

I need some advice on how to proceed with this one now. Should I change to 12/12 immediately? What about potting up? There are just a few roots on the outside of the rootball so not a lot of root yet. I really wanted to go longer with her….

Heya friend,, wow, so much to learn,, these plants are an education, no question about that. The pistols, probably ore flowers,, the plants throw out a few flowers early, just for kicks,, does not mean it's going to flower exactly. This is how one tells the sex of a plant if one does not know the sex. The pre flowers tell us what the sex is,, then they stop producing them till we change the light pattern for good.

Usually at about five or six weeks they put out preflowers

All good there friend, now you know your plant is a female, absolutely

Cheers noober

Appreciate you peeking in nivek.

Thats a good bit of news mate. Now I have an even better reason to get this finished.

gracias amigo

I think I'm finally getting this dialled in. I spent the money for a humidity controller. Good decision. The rh is finally behaving - holding fairly steady around 50%. And the best news of all - the plants are growing again.

My sincere thanks to all of you for your help along this journey. I think I have managed to build a workable space.

And how they're looking now

IMG_041149.JPG
IMG_041245.jpg

:thumb:

Hi oldnoob, here is a picture of my current grow. 5 plants entering in to my 3rd week of veg. The tent is 80cmx80cm with two 125 CFL cool and added. Couple 23watts today. Humidity is high today for some reason...temps dropped outdoor and the space the tent is in is not heated, but insulated.

How are things going for you now?

Back
Top Bottom