Oldnoob's First Grow: Starting From Scratch!

Haven't been keeping up on this lately. My apologies again. The weather warmed up considerably and i was able to start to check out the ventilation issues. They are more serious than I thought with condensation happening where it ought not. Have had to invest a bit into the operation and have installed an exhaust fan (4 inch inline) mainly to make sure moist air is vented out where I want it to go. Also bought panda poly to line the interior of the whole grow area. Hope that will act as a vapour seal to allow complete control of incoming and outgoing air. Also switched to my Mars Hydro LED. No pics right now.

I also invested a small fortune in gear to make sure I have good growing conditions. A penny spent on that is not a wasted penny as the we do get a huge bonus in the form of buds for a great price. No matter how much we invest it only takes a few grows to justify it.

Haven't been keeping up on this lately. My apologies again. The weather warmed up considerably and i was able to start to check out the ventilation issues. They are more serious than I thought with condensation happening where it ought not. Have had to invest a bit into the operation and have installed an exhaust fan (4 inch inline) mainly to make sure moist air is vented out where I want it to go. Also bought panda poly to line the interior of the whole grow area. Hope that will act as a vapour seal to allow complete control of incoming and outgoing air. Also switched to my Mars Hydro LED. No pics right now.

Thanks for the encouragement Birdy.

I have got to agree with you about an investment DeVille. Just haven't got squat to invest so its diy and make everything go just a bit further than was thought possible! :thumb:

I have to keep remembering the original purpose of the grow - get the environment dialled in. Funny how the focus shifts to the plants once they actually start to grow ……

Watered tonight so I got the pics
IMG_036736.JPG
IMG_036639.JPG
IMG_036846.JPG
IMG_036938.JPG

The tips of the leaves seem to be burnt or something. Rh is a bit low again. Had it up to 35-40% for a while but the exhaust fan is drawing more air and its down to high 20's again. I wonder if a very low air flow might be the reason for the slow growth? Poor air exchange? I had to keep that way down to reduce heating load but maybe thats not a great idea. Appreciate your comments

I'm not sure about that Birdy. Seems to me that its always been kind of a compact, tight little thing. I haven't grown since my going to school days but this plant seems quite different from those bag seed days. Very tight nodes - about 1 cm apart. Also seems very slow. Thats about 50 days of vegging now. Somethings not working well in my grow space. I'm wondering about air exchange. How much air flow should one aim for? Could a low air flow stunt growth? I kept the room quite tight to maintain temperatures and humidity but maybe that wasn't the best way to go?

50 days? Wow! Something could be wrong. It could be poor air exchange but I don't know really. It could be a combination of poor air exchange, low RH, the substrates and so on. The thing is that for the plant to have good growth, all the conditions should be optimal. If you have one problem it will slow growth and affect the end result. If you have many problems growth will get even more stunted. Also training the plants will slow them down considerably. I recommend LST (low stress training) if you want to train the plants without slowing them down.

Do you get fresh air from outside? What soil-mix do you use? Is the soil properly oxygenated? Still under poor conditions I would expect more growth in 50 days. It's a little hard to say without knowing your complete setup. :) I've been reading so many grow-journals lately and my brain is kinda full now. Therefore I will re-read your journal from the beginning later to refresh my memory about your setup after a little bit of rest. I'll help you out the best I can and with some help from the 420 community we hopefully should be able to get you back on track.

The plants do look a little sad indeed. Short distance between the nodes is good however. I always aim to get the distance as short as possible. They always stretch a lot after you flip to 12/12

Oki. your growing medium seems to be fine. Should get plenty of drainage, so that's not the problem. Do you feed them any nutrients? Also - it's crucial to get some fresh air in there. Other than that your setup seems to be fine.

Thanks for your feedback DeVille. I think that my lack of results is an environmental problem and I suspect air exchange is the major issue right now. I am relining the grow room with white/black poly to get a better control of air leaks both in and out. I noticed a condensation problem where I had an air leak (ice built up on the outside!) so hopefully I can get that sealed up over the next couple days.

ADVICE to any one reading: Get your room properly built before you start to grow. Doing it with plants in the room is a huge PITA!

Guess I needed a kick in the behind to get these problems sorted but at least progress is happening now……
I'll take a few pics when I've got a bit of work done - see if anyone can catch any more errors I'm making.

I have made some progress in the room. My thanks to nivek, another great member of this community, for an ideal design for my space and needs. A vegging space under the shelf
IMG_037541.JPG

Flowering space above
IMG_037650.jpg

and a second space in the other end
IMG_037738.JPG

The space has been lined with a single piece of white/black poly and sealed as best i can. Now I can control air in and out and the conditions seem to bee improving. Rh is maybe up to 40%. Have to give it a day to see where it settles. Getting better anyway…..

Hiya ween. Good to hear from you.

I must be honest and admit to not keeping close track of highs and lows recently. Whenever I've looked it's been low 20's. Going to start a new log for the next few days now that air is better controlled/uniform. I've been very disciplined about watering. They are usually a bit droopy when I water - its been hard to be that mean to them but i know I have to.
I wanted to try to get a crop out of this in spite of myself so i chose a photo cultivar. Figured I could screw up lots and just keep vegging! :laughtwo:

Think i'm on the right path with the nudges i keep getting. This is a learning experience both in the growing and in the sharing. It's very much appreciated.

Salude amigo,, thanks for the comment,,, you share, I share, we all share,, sharing is fun

Glad to see all is progressing,, progress is fun too,, cheers to it

Keep at er friend,, it's a long game,, get comfy,, salude

Hi nivek, welcome home amigo. Sounds like everything was good about your vacation except perhaps the length…..

Had to acknowledge your help as I pretty much just shamelessly copied your setup! And I am also beginning to realize what you are talking about when you call it a long game. I think I'll be playing for a lot of years yet so I must not get too down about these setbacks.

Must continue to try to work on the SweetSue approach to life. Positivity!

I reviewed my journal and am feeling kind of sheepish.:hmmmm: Lots and lots of warnings about proper ventilation and I still skimped. Did some research and ordered a fan. I'll update when it arrives and with luck, this grow will start to do just that.

Say nivek, another question..

Do you pH balance your nutes prior to use? Have you used wood ash to adjust pH?

ok - two questions.

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Look at that! What an improvement oldnoob. Looking good. You should be on your way to some fine harvests now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey old moon
Way to go, eh? Things are looking good!

I'll be stopping in at your journal often, you're getting sound advice. I have begun my grow, have grown indoors before, but now in a different setting.

My climate is a bit different than yours, no shortage of moisture that's for sure! but I come from up North so I miss freezing!.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom