Oldnoob's First Grow: Starting From Scratch!

Thanks Sue and nivek.
Welcome to the gong show Birdy! I'll check out your thread for more info. (Oh boy, more reading! Good thing its too cold to do much of anything outside right now. Can get this research done!)

Thanks once again for the quick replies. It never ceases to amaze me how virtually everyone on this site wants everyone else to do well. I think that the 420 community should…. RUN THIS PLANET. A little more co-operation and a little less strife in this world would help to improve my general outlook.

Whew. At least it was a small rant.

Back to the girls….
Nothing was done other than planting in soil after the seed sprouted. I've had rather poor success with starting seeds. (Only got two out of three this time and similar or worse results in the past.) Is there some advise on the complete procedure from soaking to a couple sets of true leaves?
That pale colour was my concern was as well. Was wondering if it was a deficiency, but the seed is supposed to have everything it needs for the first week or so isn't it? I was only expecting one decent plant out of this effort (although two would be welcome:thumb:) and this was going to be the run through that worked out the bugs. That being said, I'd still like to grow myself to independence from vendors…. Think I will try a very weak fertilization as per your experience nivek. 15:1 sound about right?

Just got back from checking the room dimensions. As Max Smart used to say - 'missed it by that much". The room is 4cm (1 1/2") too narrow for a shop light. Dam.

You're more than welcome to post pics of your Labooorratooreeee nivek. Thus far, I always seem to pick out another detail to try to incorporate myself. (Nice camera work too)

Thanks again to all of you and this community in general. What a wonderful crowd. (I'm starting to understand how SweetSue stays so positive…)

I think that the 420 community should…. RUN THIS PLANET. A little more co-operation and a little less strife in this world would help to improve my general outlook.

Agree 100%

Seems to me that your medium is pretty airy so I don't think drainage should be a problem, and it doesn't sound like it's too hot for the seedling. What distance do you have your light from the seedling? and what is your current temps and RH? Also, have you checked runoff Ph? My fist guess at the yellowing is just probably genetics but if not then I am sure we can all sort it out.

Hi all, back with another update.
IMG_034242.JPG
IMG_034338.JPG

First girl looks healthy to me but I'm wondering about her progress. This is day 10 and she's still kinda small by the pics I see on many other journals. Any opinions?
Little sister is still not looking very good. Growing very slowly and still really yellow. I tried 'nivek' nutes on her 3 days ago.

Thanks for the input LabMan.
400w hid about 18-20" above the plants which are off to the side of the light footprint.
I've been worried about the temps as we are having a real cold snap now but the lowest temp recorded has been 19.6 (67F), max was 24.9 (77F). RH is a problem. Usually 20 to 30%. This cold weather makes for DRY air. Humidifier can't keep up but i'm working on it.
Haven't had any runoff as of yet. Afraid of overwatering seedlings from all the reading i've done. Should i use more water to get runoff?
I suspect you are bang on with the genetics idea though. This baby was yellow from the starting box.

IN any event, this grow was primarily to get a setup operational. (And thank-you again to nivek for all his guidance)

Along those lines - I was wondering about using one of the Mars-Hydro 400's i have for a vegging light. Looked into fluorescents as i had a few shop light fixtures i could pirate but they are just a hair too long. I'm not a big fan of cfl's but they really do seem to be the easiest way to go. What sort of bulb life do you get? I was looking online and you can get 23w cfl's for under $3 each if you shop around. Are there any brands one should avoid / or seek out?

heya friend,, that wee one has a touch o jaundice perhaps, ha

oh shucks,, y'all can just slap me for makin light of the situation,, poor little one,,

friend,, i just cant tell ya how many sprouts i have seen lookin like that lately,, in others journals,, surprising,, indeed

two possible causes, imo,, overwatering,, or hot soil,, (soil with nutes built in),, usually it is soil with nutes

humidity in the thirties is apparently not good, but i have never had humidity above the thirties, and it does not seemingly cause the impossible impediment advertised, least fer me

my cfls are going past the two year old mark,, some have burnt out and i read they lose effectiveness over time, but most of mine are two years old, and on eleven hours every day,, or more

i have led above and cfl below in my flower room,, and,, honestly,, for real,, i can not say which outperforms which

karma sent for the wee one friend,, cheers

ps,, 'niveks nutes', ha, indeed, but for teenies,, very diluted,, a touch to add colour to the water, that's it,,

How's it going nivek? Thanks for getting back to me.

I've given up on the jaundiced one - only ever showed first pair of true leaves, they never grew and now are starting to die back. I think that this seed was just never meant to thrive. I was very careful with watering and there was no fertilizer in the soil. Ah well, we tried.
To retaliate - I started soaking two more seeds.

I was wondering if the low RH has caused you any extra trouble with spider mites? I know they love dry conditions.

I am leaning toward putting together some sort of cfl light system for vegging as you have done. The ability to place the plants so close to the lights frees up so much vertical space that one can have a flower section above the veg section - can't see that happening with other lights. While researching for 23w cfl's, I came across a clearance at Lowe's if anyone is interested…. (2 pack for about $5). Guess I'll start collecting lamp bases and see what I can come up with.

Hi taylor. Thanks for looking in…
Sorry but I can't help you with you're posting question - I'm new here myself not to mention that I'm also an old dinosaur and have very little tech savvy! I can do this on my pc and thats as far as I can manage. I'm certain that others on this great site will be helping you out soon.

Following :) Attempting a winter-grow in an outside shed myself right now. Started my first journal in here today. Hard to keep the air moist and the room hot during the winter season, but we won't let that stop us - Will we?

RH is a problem. Usually 20 to 30%. This cold weather makes for DRY air. Humidifier can't keep up but i'm working on it.

If you manage to keep the humidity levels around at least 40% it shouldn't be a problem. In my grow-room the humidity was as low as 10% before I added a humidifier. Now it's around 40% and that's fine :) I had the same problem growing in a tent earlier. Just added a wet towel to the tent and that fixed the problem while I was searching for a more permanent solution

Hey Noob...top of the season to you...you can probably get a couple years out of those 23 watt cfl's(based on 1 grow a season)...I changed mine every grow, just because they were free thru work...I can find 23 watts at our local dollarama's in both warm and cool temps for a couple bucks...plastic bulb bases and octo boxes won't set Ya back much at all...warmed up to -23C today(wind chill)...back down to -34 tonight...I can hear Mexico calling...lolool...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

Hi DeVille. Thanks for dropping in. I'm guessing that you might have a bit more heat in your room than I do. :drool:

Something to dream about maybe…

Hey doc. Yer keeping well I hope. Those cfl's seem like they will be a decent way to go. A year or two out of a bulb sounds good to me.(Even if I do have to buy mine) And i have a bunch of wiring stuff already, just need lamp bases now. Good winter project:smoking:
So are you going south this winter? Hell of a cold spell eh? If you need to bring someone to carry your bags or fetch your margaritas…...

Hi DeVille. Thanks for dropping in. I'm guessing that you might have a bit more heat in your room than I do. :drool:

Something to dream about maybe…

Hey doc. Yer keeping well I hope. Those cfl's seem like they will be a decent way to go. A year or two out of a bulb sounds good to me.(Even if I do have to buy mine) And i have a bunch of wiring stuff already, just need lamp bases now. Good winter project:smoking:
So are you going south this winter? Hell of a cold spell eh? If you need to bring someone to carry your bags or fetch your margaritas…...

Yes...keeping well...staying warm...next weeks forecast is showing a reprieve from the freezer...I retired 11 months ago, so I will prolly be buying bulbs when I run out of inventory(though I do have some favors I can call in)...rather than trying to source lamp bases, I've found making my own octo fixtures and using scrap lumber to integrate them both vertically and horizontally works well and cost effective as well...Yeah...heading to Mexico in 3 weeks for 10 weeks...it's my happy spot in the dead of winter..Good luck with the new beans!...have a great and Merry Christmas...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

Hi all and my apologies for being away for a while - hard to get into the season this year......

But along those lines, thanks for the Christmas pic nivek. Now thats a joyful tree decoration gang!

Update:

IMG_034545.JPG

My first girl has been repotted and seems to be doing well. I'm as green as these plants at this but this looks very indica like to me for what is supposed to be a primarily sativa strain. Whatever - as long as the system gets worked out I can work on improving strains later.

Right Bird! I was just about to add that in when the weather broke. The little humidifier seems to be able to keep the RH in the 30's unless it gets real cold (too dry) so I think i'm ok for now.

IMG_034438.JPG

This is the one of two more seeds i tried. This one also has a definitely yellow centre so now i am really getting suspicious of the genetics here. Any opinions?

Anyway - Merry Christmas to all and to all a High Night!:peacetwo:

The wet towel trick works wonders. That was my solution almost entire 2015 the humidifier I'm using now works great. But thinking I should drill a hole in the tank and connect it to a bigger tank. Thinking a 50 litre tank should be able to keep the room humid for at least a week. It's using around 6 litres per day now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Cheers friend,, looks indica, indeed, so many strains, so many crosses, so many variations, who knows,, mikel Jackson looked white, but black as all get out,,

My wifes sister looks sweet as pie,, but is sour as rhubarb,, so, who knows,,??

Looks indica tho, agree

Pale potted pedoplants,, hmmm,, seen so many,,,, i just dunno,, me seed goes in, head pops out, green, and stays that way,, think the urine I use helps towards that but really not sure why any sprout might be yeller,, scaredy sprout maybe??

Best of the new year next year friend,, cheers fer now,, indeed

Sorry to anyone who's been following - Been a bit distracted and haven't updated recently. So……

The nutes seemed to work for the little one, she's looking much greener now and growing. Glad to have a back-up!

IMG_036352.JPG

Big sister (and I truly hope it is a girl) looks great. At least to me. I am taking baby steps with training and am just LSTing. I thought about trying topping but I can't see the tiny bud very well so I'm hesitant to do damage. Old eyes. Don't use my telescope anymore either…..

IMG_036249.JPG

Think I found out why the RH has been so hard to maintain. The foam plug I used to fill the ceiling ventilation hole is wet. Guess foam is not airtight. Wrapped it with a garbage bag for now. Need to build a ventilation system. Off to the journals, our community's great knowledge resource!

Back
Top Bottom