One plant, two light schedules?

So....what if I were to start a photoperiod plant and raise it all up big and strong, and what if I then isolated half the plant in a light-proof inner tent or box....and only put half of the plant into flower?

Has anyone tried that?

Also how many times can I take the same plant from flower to veg and back?

cool idea but im guessing that she’s only capable of running one set of hormones at a time (either flower or veg) think it might hermie on you, but I like your thinking, there’s still a lot to be discovered here. But yes by all means give this a try for science!

Correct me if I’m wrong..... but it’s my understanding that you can pollinate 10 different branches on a female plant with 10 different males and each branch will yield seeds that represent the 10 different male crosses, obviously one would need to track and label each branch and which male pollinated that branch yada yada

don’t know if there is a limit on that but multiple reveg is entirely possible but from what I’ve read you get declining yields each time but I suspect at some point down the road she might lose vigor or become susceptible to disease / hermie.

but don’t let me rain on your parade - you line them up & we will jump in to follow along
:thumb:

Interesting idea. After timer screwups, I have had individual branches, the ones closest to the light on the messed up timer, start to reveg. Meanwhile the rest of the plant, closer to the other non-messed up timer, continued to flower. This has happened to me more than once.

I hope you do this. One main difficulty will be -how to seal the stem of the plant off so there aren’t any light leaks into the flowering half, while not strangling it at the same time. The more sealed against light the better, IMO. Though from my experience above it seems like it may flower anyway, as long as the majority of the light is 12/12 or thereabouts.

Interesting idea. After timer screwups, I have had individual branches, the ones closest to the light on the messed up timer, start to reveg. Meanwhile the rest of the plant, closer to the other non-messed up timer, continued to flower. This has happened to me more than once.

I hope you do this. One main difficulty will be -how to seal the stem of the plant off so there aren’t any light leaks into the flowering half, while not strangling it at the same time. The more sealed against light the better, IMO. Though from my experience above it seems like it may flower anyway, as long as the majority of the light is 12/12 or thereabouts.
I uh...was thinking 'Great Stuff' expanding poly foam to fill any gaps and then black gaffer's tape to block any light transmitted through that. >.>

Edit: that's interesting tho...why do you think the branches farthest from the light were slower to reveg?

I wonder if it's like smokers and caving accidents...people used to lower levels of O2 (smokers) often survive low O2 environments far better than healthier people. Were those branches just already used to getting a lesser serving of light so they were less 'triggered' by the light mess up?

I have seen a picture of a backyard plant semi exposed to a streetlight, half in flower where the light was blocked and half in veg where it was exposed.

The plant hormones that produce flowering are called floragen (although its not been fully isolated as a single compound). Floragen is systemically mobile, it can move around, from the leaves to the apex. So you wont be able fully isolate the flowering and will probably get some hermies throughout.

You can probably reveg as many times as you care to, if you tend to the roots properly, root prune and transplant as needed.

I have seen a picture of a backyard plant semi exposed to a streetlight, half in flower where the light was blocked and half in veg where it was exposed.

The plant hormones that produce flowering are called floragen (although its not been fully isolated as a single compound). Floragen is systemically mobile, it can move around, from the leaves to the apex. So you wont be able fully isolate the flowering and will probably get some hermies throughout.

You can probably reveg as many times as you care to, if you tend to the roots properly, root prune and transplant as needed.
Yeah, I'm expecting some hermaphroditism.

I have never even really considered messing with roots beyond making sure plants aren't getting dry pockets or root bound. Got any good links on root pruning?

Root pruning is a common technique in container gardening. Google ”bonsai cannabis mothers” for examples. How to Create a Bonsai Mother for Unlimited Clones | Grow Weed Easy
Most container plants need root pruning, my patio citrus for example, need it once a year to flower and fruit.

In designing your light deprivation experiment, there would be a difference in isolating an entire branch vs one part of a single branch. Since the floragen is mobile (and presumably the antifloragen), it would translocate more readily up a single branch rather than down the branch and back up another (although it will do that too since its actively transported through the phloem). So if you top the plant, it is the shape of a Y like your arms. isolating an arm entirely would be more effective than half the arm up to an elbow, if that analogy makes sense.

There are papers available on floragen signalling and translocation. For example, grafting a flowering cut onto a veg plant will cause flowering. The example above, with isolating branches, is also researched. I am just a hobbyist, Botanists have been trying to understand more about the mechanism for a long time, and you will now join the research :)

Correct me if I’m wrong..... but it’s my understanding that you can pollinate 10 different branches on a female plant with 10 different males and each branch will yield seeds that represent the 10 different male crosses, obviously one would need to track and label each branch and which male pollinated that branch yada yada
This is true but it doesnt effect flowering per se. One pollen grain inseminates one ova (in one pistil) and produces one seed without effect on the other pistils. There can be any mix of pollen grains very commonly in a natural setting.

Edit: that's interesting tho...why do you think the branches farthest from the light were slower to reveg?
Well I have two lights in the flowering room. They’re on separate timers, though on the same lighting schedule. It’s just to ease the power load through each timer.

There have been quite a few times where a timer screwed up and caused one light to stay on 24/7. The other timer/light in the room would still be providing 12/12 light though. I noticed that some branches of plants closest to the 24 hr light would start to reveg, while the areas farther away, closer to the 12/12 lighting on the other half of the room, would carry on flowering.

That’s about as far as my experience of it goes though, because obviously I always tried to ‘fix‘ the situation when I found it.

Looks like Redcup has described the same effect.
Usually the best way to find out about quirky stuff like this is to try it yourself. There’s not really much actual botanical knowledge on the forum. Most are just trying to grow some dope :D There’s a fair amount of growing experience, but that’s not the same thing. Redcup is one of the only ones here right now who seems to know much science.

Most people here, myself included, are just busy reinventing the wheel. Sounds like this wheel has already been tested too. But not here and it would still be very interesting to see.

you are a smart girl & can figure it out so the basics of root pruning for bonsai moms are - Shuck the rootball out of the pot, should be root bound on outer edges, trim or saw about a 1/4 inch of roots and soil off of each of the 4 sides of the container (some times it may be necessary or helpful to trim the bottom too) replace rootball back in same container repack edges with fresh soil using pencil.

im revenging a plant and popped her out of a wide body 3 gallon container did mild root pruning and recanned her into a narrow 4 gallon bucket, the root pruning should help her to reveg more easily in theory at least

you are a smart girl & can figure it out so the basics of root pruning for bonsai moms are - Shuck the rootball out of the pot, should be root bound on outer edges, trim or saw about a 1/4 inch of roots and soil off of each of the 4 sides of the container (some times it may be necessary or helpful to trim the bottom too) replace rootball back in same container repack edges with fresh soil using pencil.

im revenging a plant and popped her out of a wide body 3 gallon container did mild root pruning and recanned her into a narrow 4 gallon bucket, the root pruning should help her to reveg more easily in theory at least
YOU MADE ME BLUSH (thank you for the kind words)

Oooohhh....that's all it is. Got it. It's like pruning back trees to encourage new 1st year growth. Thank you!

Well I have two lights in the flowering room. They’re on separate timers, though on the same lighting schedule. It’s just to ease the power load through each timer.

There have been quite a few times where a timer screwed up and caused one light to stay on 24/7. The other timer/light in the room would still be providing 12/12 light though. I noticed that some branches of plants closest to the 24 hr light would start to reveg, while the areas farther away, closer to the 12/12 lighting on the other half of the room, would carry on flowering.

That’s about as far as my experience of it goes though, because obviously I always tried to ‘fix‘ the situation when I found it.

Looks like Redcup has described the same effect.
Usually the best way to find out about quirky stuff like this is to try it yourself. There’s not really much actual botanical knowledge on the forum. Most are just trying to grow some dope :D There’s a fair amount of growing experience, but that’s not the same thing. Redcup is one of the only ones here right now who seems to know much science.

Most people here, myself included, are just busy reinventing the wheel. Sounds like this wheel has already been tested too. But not here and it would still be very interesting to see.
Were those the HPS-types? Sounds like a current issue I'm dealing with regarding big motors and PIDs and not wanting to upgrade the fuse box :D

Were those the HPS-types? Sounds like a current issue I'm dealing with regarding big motors and PIDs and not wanting to upgrade the fuse box :D
Yes HPS, but the timer screwups were for various reasons. Mostly grower screwups I suppose, when it really comes down to it.
Sooo.... when are you going to start the plant ?
:nomo:

Yes HPS, but the timer screwups were for various reasons. Mostly grower screwups I suppose, when it really comes down to it.
Sooo.... when are you going to start the plant ?
:nomo:
I need to get the current girls plumped and harvested....then this summer's outdoor grow will be in the tent until end of April/beginning of May (who knows with the weather right now what spring is going to bring). THEN...the tent will become my chamber of plant horrors.

This might change if I'm stoned when my stimulus check comes >.> and I foolishly just buy lights and a tent and more nutes....but I should not do that. I really really shouldn't...

This might change if I'm stoned when my stimulus check comes >.> and I foolishly just buy lights and a tent and more nutes....but I should not do that. I really really shouldn't...
Why not? it’s what everyone else does.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom