Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

mine wasn't all that good, but could have been other things like the 100F+ temps and all the problems, but i have harsh smoke with black ash even after the cure. i am giving them another go to see if its the TRF's or not?

ya im in same boat really, im thinkin something went wrng but i cant figure what that could be, the smell is in there, when i crack the bud open but besides that the taste is just a bit chemically or something. not nice. sort of thinkin becuz u cant flush it but not sure. everything seemed to go alright with me. but the taste.
can we flush with trf's?

Interesting..But can`t seem to find these nutes here in Canada at all... :-(((

Do you have Ace Hardware up there? They carry it and you can buy it on their web site and have it delivered to the nearest store free. They may also ship directly check their site.

Any decent general purpose nutes would do. Fox Farms, General Hydroponics, Age Old, etc.

I would go at no higher than 1/2 strength with anything you use because it's being used to supplement the CRF base nutes.

I've been using GH's Maxigro and Maxibloom, which are dry powdered nutes, and I've never had nicer looking plants, both in soil and hydro.

These are definitely the cheapest and best nutes I've ever used. Even in soil, I see the plants respond rapidly to feedings, which tells me that the nutes are quickly and easily available to my ladies.

I've never seen soil plants green up in real-time before, but with the Maxi nutes, I watched my ladies go from pale green to deep green in about 10 minutes. I was completely amazed.

I'm using them at 1/4-1/2 strength for soil, and 1/2-3/4 strength for hydro.

I do have to shake the powder up a bit to get it to dissolve well, but it's no big deal.

Super cheap, very high quality, works for both soil and hydro, PH buffered, very long shelf-life as long as it stays dry, gives me the ability to custom-blend my nutes by varying the ratio of grow to bloom, flushes out clean.

IMO, these nutes are just about perfect for my needs.

I'm running my hydro plants at around 500-600ppm, and my soil plants at 300-400.

OC+ and other good CRF's, grow beautiful plants all by themselves for peeps looking for the ultimate in ease and simplicity, but for those who want to push things a little more, there is the option to supplement with conventional nutes.

I believe you've also used the Maxi nutes, Silent Bob. What was your impression?

IIRC, you mentioned that they run a little hot at the recommended strength. My Sunset Kush ladies love the stuff even at full strength, but they're complete gluttons ;).

Thanks for all this info SS. I think next grow I'm going to try some Snowstorm Ultra as a supplement, I'll see how this one ends up first. I worry I'll burn my plants if I have half a chance.

mine wasn't all that good, but could have been other things like the 100F+ temps and all the problems, but i have harsh smoke with black ash even after the cure. i am giving them another go to see if its the TRF's or not?

ya im in same boat really, im thinkin something went wrng but i cant figure what that could be, the smell is in there, when i crack the bud open but besides that the taste is just a bit chemically or something. not nice. sort of thinkin becuz u cant flush it but not sure. everything seemed to go alright with me. but the taste.
can we flush with trf's?

First I've heard of this, have others had the same complaint? Doc said taste was very smooth and if anything on the bland side with his grow. The best you can do to flush is lower the temps, low 60's at night and 70 or so daytime. Maybe an extended dry period before the chop?

First I've heard of this, have others had the same complaint? Doc said taste was very smooth and if anything on the bland side with his grow. The best you can do to flush is lower the temps, low 60's at night and 70 or so daytime. Maybe an extended dry period before the chop?

their have been a few other complaints, some say it did some say it didnt. IDK bro 1st time i haven't had clean smoke. i am doing a run in organic soil so if these ones turn out harsh then its good enough for me not to use anymore thats for sure.

You are totally missing the point of what I am saying. If I am growing my weed for myself for MEDICINE I want to use the best stuff I FEEL is the top of the line. I sadi nothing about Osmocote not being a good fertilizer. All I said is you cannot control how much is leeching into your medium, period. Osmocote would make flushing a nightmare in my opinion but that is another story. Read up on TLO gardening. The whole point i was making was a plant will grow good regardless of Osmocote or expensive nutes if it is taken care of, is pH balanced and has GOOD GENETICS. You guys made it seem like I was bashing your cheap trashy fertilizer called Osmocrap. That was not the case. I'm sure Irishboy grew some huge buds with it. How ,much huger would they be with a 35 gallon container full of a soil less mix with regular inoculations of BUSHDOKTOR KANGAROOTS, Big Bloom, Piranha, voodoo juice, Trantula, and SensiZym we may never know...to the bat mobile!

I'll tell you what, I got two clones today. According to the plant labels they were both rooted on the same day. I will grow 1 plant using Osmocote and the other plant I will grow with whatever i want. How about the AN or GH full lineup or totally organic makes no dif to me. I just got them today and they are the same strain "Purple Kush" in almost identical sized containers. I will eventually transplant them to 3 gallon smart pots. So I will see if Irish Boys claims are what they say and if Osmocote is good I will eat crow.

I'll tell you what, I got two clones today. According to the plant labels they were both rooted on the same day. I will grow 1 plant using Osmocote and the other plant I will grow with whatever i want. How about the AN or GH full lineup or totally organic makes no dif to me. I just got them today and they are the same strain "Purple Kush" in almost identical sized containers. I will eventually transplant them to 3 gallon smart pots. So I will see if Irish Boys claims are what they say and if Osmocote is good I will eat crow.

dont bring me into ur BS. all i said is that u cant compare AN to OC+ since u havent used both!. i for one am not a fan of OC+ and thats why i am not using it. i like DM red, but may not use any if this next grow dosent have clean smoke. i also use organics two on a different grow i am not sold on any fert. but dont twist my words and get me involved. i dont want to have any part of ur comparison and dont want my name thrown around like a comptation. what i think u need to read agian because what claims did i make? that my TRF's taste like shit?

ur grow bro rock it out. but please keep my name out of it

its also going to be hard to get people to take the results serios whe u say things like this before even testing a product.

You guys made it seem like I was bashing your cheap trashy fertilizer called Osmocrap.

So I will see if Irish Boys claims are what they say and if Osmocote is good I will eat crow.

next time please read what was said instead of just typing BS. i never made such claims heres my post to remind you. please dont twist my words.
care to show pics of that test?
also since you haven't used OC+ i dont really think u have ground to make that call.

it is true that good organic soil can produce good things with just water but that cant be compared to OC+ vs AN. thats organics Vs AN.

Also DM makes organic TRF's thats ORMI

All I am saying is GENTICS has more to do with how the plant does and also light and how well its treated not how good the fertilizers are. That's the theory anyway. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I was directing my comments at Blue Dog. He started it. He doesn't mind his name getting into it heh heh. Hey, does the Osmocote like disolve when you're done using it because to be honest I have heard a lot of people saying bad stuff about it. I don't mind having the unpopular opinion. I will be that guy. One complaint is finding prills months later in the soil that never dissolved. That is why I took an anti Osmocoste stance. I'm sure it rocks for cheap fertilizer but you lose control over your mediums fertilizer levels which is not good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. No one has countered me on that fact yet. I need to run out and buy some Osmocote. The plants told me to do it. They talk to me.

I am in the later half of an OC+/DMred grow and so far any sample I have smoked is very neutral. And the ash burns nice and gray. No foul taste what so ever. I don't think any flushing will be necessary before harvest.

I don't think the prills are supposed to dissolve. They are just containers for the nutes that leach out by Osmosis. And only as much as needed, supposedly.

Problems I had being a first time CRF user was how much to use. Having my NL go sativa pheno on me. And her taking so long to finish and me not supplementing with more traditional nutes along the way because we just keep thinking "don't add anything, she will be done any day now". Yesterday was the end of week 14! Who would have thunk it! That's 5 weeks past her expected finish due date!

If you haven't seen my pics already of what it can do, her are a few No end in sight? pt2 fox tail pics
Keep in mind I am still in the learning phase of indoor growing.

All I am saying is GENTICS has more to do with how the plant does and also light and how well its treated not how good the fertilizers are. That's the theory anyway. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I was directing my comments at Blue Dog. He started it. He doesn't mind his name getting into it heh heh. Hey, does the Osmocote like disolve when you're done using it because to be honest I have heard a lot of people saying bad stuff about it. I don't mind having the unpopular opinion. I will be that guy. One complaint is finding prills months later in the soil that never dissolved. That is why I took an anti Osmocoste stance. I'm sure it rocks for cheap fertilizer but you lose control over your mediums fertilizer levels which is not good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. No one has countered me on that fact yet. I need to run out and buy some Osmocote. The plants told me to do it. They talk to me.

You don't have any facts to counter. So go ahead and blab on about whatever you want. You're more the guy with the completely uninformed opinion, popular or not.

I would like to know how I started anything. I didn't start this thread. I wasn't the first to respond to you. Apparently another of your completely made up 'facts'.

I've been here awhile, and you are one of the few idiots...maybe one of three....that I've run across.

First of all, your ignorance of the product is hampering your otherwise substandard congnitive abilities even more than usual:

Osmocote prills NEVER dissolve. They aren't supposed to. They are resin coated prills that allow the fertilizers to release slowly, over time.

Secondly, you don't "lose control" over your medium. In fact, you have far more control with CRF's than with chemical nutes, because the PPM and EC stays steady at all times---given a decent growing environment---when the plant needs more, more is released....but the PPM's never get over about 300. You never over or under feed.

I did a side by side grow with AN Connoisseur and additives vs Osmocote+.
It's in the Un-Lucky Queen journal. The Osmocote kicked the crap out of the AN. I stopped using the AN and if you want 2 gallons of Can-o-sewer, a gallon of BigBud and a bunch of other crap for free, you can come get it.

The difference in cost is a joke.....with the AN stuff coming in at over 1000 dollars, compared to 20 bucks for the OC+.

People on this forum have smoked some of my OC+ weed and have very favorable things to say about it. No flush needed, nothing but good taste and clean, white ash.

Regarding organics....I'm in 100% custom blended organic soil right now. IMO it's the best way to grow if taste and the broadest spectrum of terpenes is your goal. If I have to supplement down the line, it will be with OC+, because I don't want to disturb the soil web or effect the taste in a negative way.

But I think you should continue to use AN. Give your money to Big Mike so you can feed your plants cheap chemicals with fancy names. Oh, and make sure you flush! If you don't, all the over feeding will make your product taste like crap.

As for me, I'll stick with what sane, educated people do when they grow plants. Cannabis specific nutes are a rip-off. If you can't understand that, you're simply not meant to.

Some people simply don't have the capacity to understand....they merely cling to the first thing they learned as "the truth."

So, do your experiment and make sure to journal it with pictures. Keep track of the costs too. If you're honest, you'll see what we're talking about.

Until then, have respectful discussion borne out of knowledge......or.....

STFU.

I believe you've also used the Maxi nutes, Silent Bob. What was your impression?

GH dry nutes should be part of every gardeners supply - like you said, I don't believe they degrade being dry, and they grow healthy plants.

They are almost more idiot proof than OC+... you generally don't have to worry about PH when using them in a hempy or other drain to waste setup since they get it in range and buffer with no additives.

I used to use them together with DM Gold in a DWC... seemed like the DM Gold worked better in combo with the GH Dry than alone. The PH was so stable I stopped checking.

Until then, have respectful discussion borne out of knowledge......or.....

Thank you Doc for your eloquent post. I also believe that you can't "knock it until you try it." I believe that in order to have any sort of meaningful opinion about ANY subject, you should either reference some research studies on the subject or conduct a controlled study yourself. Growing247 FAILS in both respects. I think before you offer any significant input Growing247, you should state some FACTS that are supported with valid studies.

ya this is exactly what i did lower the temp. made no difference that i see.what im thinkin if u just want some crystally bud on the cheap, go with OC+. but if u want quality and taste, use liguid ferts cuz u can have a handle with it and control it as needed, rather than let the plant take what i needs, force it and take it away. im not no expert grower but this is what im seeing. i might try it again next time , but i dont know.

ya this is exactly what i did lower the temp. made no difference that i see.what im thinkin if u just want some crystally bud on the cheap, go with OC+. but if u want quality and taste, use liguid ferts cuz u can have a handle with it and control it as needed, rather than let the plant take what i needs, force it and take it away. im not no expert grower but this is what im seeing. i might try it again next time , but i dont know.

I have only sampled a small amount of my OC+/DM red bud but the preliminary results were good. This was with a very quick dry, no cure, no 48 hour dark period. There are plenty of other variables that may have affected the taste and burn of your harvest.

I am in no way saying your guys' experience is not correct. Once my crop is ready I will give a very honest smoke report. I am not interested in bud that does not burn correctly, it is one of the worst things for me personally..I get shit from the dispensary that burns black and never want to smoke it again..

If my shit burns black/harsh I will be probably only run half CRF next time, and then never again if it continues. If they burn great, I will be stoked and happy to use these super cheap, efficient, easy nutes for future grows.

--Growing247 you are not playing the bad guy role here, you are simply acting like an idiot. Discrediting something based on nothing but your own thoughts is a very uneducated approach. Not a single person on this forum is interested in hearing it.

:peacetwo:

I have only sampled a small amount of my OC+/DM red bud but the preliminary results were good. This was with a very quick dry, no cure, no 48 hour dark period. There are plenty of other variables that may have affected the taste and burn of your harvest.

I am in no way saying your guys' experience is not correct. Once my crop is ready I will give a very honest smoke report. I am not interested in bud that does not burn correctly, it is one of the worst things for me personally..I get shit from the dispensary that burns black and never want to smoke it again..

If my shit burns black/harsh I will be probably only run half CRF next time, and then never again if it continues. If they burn great, I will be stoked and happy to use these super cheap, efficient, easy nutes for future grows.

:peacetwo:

oh ya for sure i would love to continue to use it, so much easier, :). i must have done something wrong during dring or curing, but i dont know what cuz i followed irishboys drying and curing way to a tea. and it went smoothly.mmmmmmm, i really dont know. how r u gonna dry n cure your stuff?

First of all, your ignorance of the product is hampering your otherwise substandard cognitive abilities even more than usual:

Doc this should go into Bartlett's Book of Quotations, what a classic lol!

Was listening to the radio one day and after the sports guy gave his report, the host said "Is that it? I found your report to be shall we say short on content and long on lack of personality".

You gotta store away these gems as you come across them.

The reason I've switched to using GH's dry nutes is not because my CRF buds didn't burn clean and taste good, but rather that since my "just add water" thing didn't work out because my tap water sucks, it's not much more work to add nutes to my RO water along with the cal-mag.

The two-part GH dry nutes give me more flexibility in dosing and juggling the NPK, are cheaper than CRF's, work very well in both soil and hydro, shelf life isn't a problem, and my plants are very happy with them.

Flushing should only necessary if plants accumulate too many nutes, which shouldn't happen with CRF's, but as more CRF-grown plants are harvested and smoked, we'll have more reports and data.

My recent PPP harvest burns with a clean gray ash, and is smelling better and better as it cures. Another couple of weeks and I think it's going to be very good.

"Preharvest flushing puts the plant(s) under serious stress. The plant has to deal with nutrient deficiencies in a very elevated part of its cycle. Strong changes in the amount of dissolved substances in the root-zone stress the roots, possibly to the point of direct physical damage to them. Many immobile elements are no more available for further metabolic processes. We are loosing the fan leaves and damage will show likely on new growth as well.

The grower should react in an educated way to the plant needs. Excessive, deficient or unbalanced levels should be avoided regardless the nutrient source. Nutrient levels should be gradually adjusted to the lesser needs in later flowering. Stress factors should be limited as far as possible. If that is accomplished throughout the entire life cycle, there shouldn’t be any excessive nutrient compounds in the plants tissue. It doesn’t sound likely to the author that you can correct growing errors (significant lower mobile nutrient compound levels) with preharvest flushing.

Drying and curing (when done right) on the other hand have proved (In many studies) to have a major impact on taste and flavour, by breaking down chlorophylls and converting starches into sugars. Most attributes blamed on unflushed buds may be the result of unbalanced nutrition and/or overfert and unproper drying/curing."

Back
Top Bottom