Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

That's great! I've been wanting to see a grow using the Dynamite. Would you mind posting a pic of the analysis on the bottle? I couldn't find it on their website. :reading420magazine:

100_2723_600x449.JPG

100_2729_600x449.JPG

100_2731_600x449.JPG

I predict OC+ will destroy Maxibloom. If I'm wrong, Setting Sun will eat my shoe.

:goodluck:

I agree! Just remember, if the Dynamite doesn't win, SS will have to eat my shoe.

Wait a minute, that sounds like a lose-lose proposition to me ;).

In any case, I'm not in any way anti-CRF. Nobody wants CRF's to work more than I do, but the data is just starting to come in, so I'm just reserving judgment ;).

I agree! Just remember, if the Dynamite doesn't win, SS will have to eat my shoe.

Fillet Of Sole? :)

Doesn't sound like all parties have agreed to that particular unilateral arrangement, Doc... ;)

-------------

For some reason, that reminds me of the story about the Esteemed Ancient Narcissistic Chinese Philosopher, Fu, who asked his loyal followers to "Bathe In My Magnificence", - and then promptly took a dump.

One of his followers turned to another and said, "Well, I guess if the Fu Shits, Wear It!"

:)

-TL

In any case, I'm not in any way anti-CRF. Nobody wants CRF's to work more than I do, but the data is just starting to come in, so I'm just reserving judgment ;).

:tokin:

Fillet Of Sole? :)

Doesn't sound like all parties have agreed to that particular unilateral arrangement, Doc... ;)

-------------

For some reason, that reminds me of the story about the Esteemed Ancient Narcissistic Chinese Philosopher, Fu, who asked his loyal followers to "Bathe In My Magnificence", - and then promptly took a dump.

One of his followers turned to another and said, "Well, I guess if the Fu Shits, Wear It!"

:)

-TL

Well, that's what makes it unilateral!

No, seriously, the more I learn, the more I agree with the fact that organic, "feeding the soil" type gardening is best for consumable products. Those are nature's CRF's. The best we can do to mimic that is something akin to OC+ or Dynamite.

BTW, OC+ has a better micronute profile.

:tokin:

Well, that's what makes it unilateral!

No, seriously, the more I learn, the more I agree with the fact that organic, "feeding the soil" type gardening is best for consumable products. Those are nature's CRF's. The best we can do to mimic that is something akin to OC+ or Dynamite.

BTW, OC+ has a better micronute profile.

next grow i want to do 6 plants maybe 2 with the Dynamite i have then 2 with the Dynamite organic and 2 with OC+. this is of course if the Dynamite beats or matches my Maxi Bloom this round.

yes i agree OC+ has a better Micronute profile and i really dig it! but i think the Dynamite i have has a better NPK % and from what i read the prills and how they release is better then the OC+ specially in the higher temps. but I dont know for sure just what i got when i was reading. either way i think they will both do great. and a 3 way test is a great way to find out.

i really would like to check out their organic ferts and see how it stacks up

Product Review - Osmocote Plus Organics range - They?ve taken the best and made it even greener...

Wednesday, 11 August 2010

So what's in the tub?
This is a combination product so the first thing you'll notice is that it looks different to a regular Osmocote. It is made up of the original Osmocote controlled release granules (prills to be exact) and compressed granules of organic matter.
It's these organic granules that are the real secret and point-of-difference.
They are a combination of composted manure, blood & bone, seaweed, fish extract, molasses and gypsum. There's also a high-quality soil wetter in there too.

So what's it do?
Just as you'd always expect from Osmocote there is a controlled-release of quality fertiliser over a six-month period.
The organic components work to feed the soil not just the plants - they nurture and stimulate beneficial soil microbes and all-important earthworms.
The gypsum helps to break down clay and improve soil structure as well as adding calcium.
The wetting agent ensures that fertiliser delivery is super-efficient by reducing run-off and helping to transfer nutrients to the root-zone where they are needed.

And in answer to the unasked question... no it doesn't smell bad. In fact it has a nice rich organic smell without being pongy.

The Osmocote Plus Organics range will be available in two pack sizes - 1.5kg & 3.5kg - and includes four formulations -
- All Purpose (including natives)
- Veggies, tomatoes & herbs
- Fruit & citrus
-Roses, gardenias & azaleas​

This is taken from the same site grower z.

"It is a new range that’s coming this spring so it won’t be on the shelves just yet but when it lands you’ll find it exclusively in Bunnings stores nationwide.''

This kind of sucks...wherever and whatever Bunnings is?
Any ideas anybody?

-Go

Product Review - Osmocote Plus Organics range - They?ve taken the best and made it even greener...

So what's in the tub?
This is a combination product so the first thing you'll notice is that it looks different to a regular Osmocote. It is made up of the original Osmocote controlled release granules (prills to be exact) and compressed granules of organic matter.
They are a combination of composted manure, blood & bone, seaweed, fish extract, molasses and gypsum. There's also a high-quality soil wetter in there too.

So what's it do?
Just as you'd always expect from Osmocote there is a controlled-release of quality fertiliser over a six-month period.
The organic components work to feed the soil not just the plants - they nurture and stimulate beneficial soil microbes and all-important earthworms.
The gypsum helps to break down clay and improve soil structure as well as adding calcium.
The wetting agent ensures that fertiliser delivery is super-efficient by reducing run-off and helping to transfer nutrients to the root-zone where they are needed.

And in answer to the unasked question... no it doesn't smell bad. In fact it has a nice rich organic smell without being pongy.

The Osmocote Plus Organics range will be available in two pack sizes - 1.5kg & 3.5kg - and includes four formulations -
- Fruit & citrus

I can't wait for this to come out?
On my own, I've been formulating adding gypsum, bone, blood, guano, worm castings.....along with OC+.

It's a hassle.

This product will improve everything! I can't wait!

On my own, I've been formulating adding gypsum, bone, blood, guano, worm castings.....along with OC+.

It's a hassle.

Apparently they have been watching your thread...

So what's in the tub?

So what's it do?

- Fruit & citrus

bad ass... i cant wait.

It's a hassle.

I know this is meant more for soil than soilless mediums; wonder if Scotts has ever heard of a Hempy Bucket! ;) You've been adding the organics to your mix already, Doc? Maybe now we'll finally have a decent all-in-one CRF...

Hope they did something about the odor. Not so much a problem outside, but in the house...

One of the things I've never really liked about the organics is they smell! :straightface:

-TL

DocBud, why add major sources of macros to a mix that contains OC+, or as the company apparently did with the organic+? The blood, guano and bone are not overkill?

I've been thinking along the lines of kelp meal for micros and hormones or a liquid kelp with OC+ in an organic soilless mix, so def. curious about picking your brain on this. My first OC+ mix is simply 60 coir / 40 perlite + gypsum.

FYI: from Soil Science April 2010

Effects of Gypsum Addition on Solubility of Nutrients in Soil Amended With Peat. Moustafa A. Elrashicli, Lam' T West, Cath y A. Sevbold, Ellis C. Benharn

another FYI, if ppl are interested in CRFs and the waste water...

Is this based on the size of the plant? A transplant of something already well established is going to not let the prill go to waste, right?

Floriculture: Fact Sheets: Greenhouse Management: Groundwater and Your Greenhouse

Controlled-release fertilizers can help reduce fertilizer leaching if properly used. A single large application shortly after planting has little benefit in controlling nutrient leaching as remarkably large quantities of NO3-N and other nutrients are released at this time which the plants do not need. A better approach is to split the single application into smaller amounts and apply them two or three times during the growing season. This technique greatly reduces NO3-N in the leachate compared to the large single application and conventional liquid fertilization. Split applications probably provide more constant nutrition for the plant as well. Using controlled- release fertilizers in this manner is currently being tested at Umass.​

It's a hassle.

This is Adam Woodham's post from August 11th

Sounds like your brother from another mother!

For the veggie garden I apply Osmocote after I have dug in composted manures and some premium quality blood & bone. Call me traditional but I believe there is no substitute for adding organic matter to the garden, this is what feeds the soil not just the plants. (And this is why I'm very keen to see how the new Osmocote Organics products perform.)​

DocBud, why add major sources of macros to a mix that contains OC+, or as the company apparently did with the organic+? The blood, guano and bone are not overkill?

I've been thinking along the lines of kelp meal for micros and hormones or a liquid kelp with OC+ in an organic soilless mix, so def. curious about picking your brain on this. My first OC+ mix is simply 60 coir / 40 perlite + gypsum.

FYI: from Soil Science April 2010

Effects of Gypsum Addition on Solubility of Nutrients in Soil Amended With Peat. Moustafa A. Elrashicli, Lam' T West, Cath y A. Sevbold, Ellis C. Benharn

Hey bro!

I'm working on a system where you put the plants in a pot and add water. OC+ will do that....and damn well! However, I want to bring out the terpenes and the subtleties of flavor. IMO, that is best done with organics....which are natures CRF's.

So, I've come up with a combination of a peat rich soil mix, to which I add gypsum, epsom salt, borax. (small amounts of these). To that I will add blood, bone, worm castings and some high P guano, along with a micronutrient mix. This mix will be wetted and put into a trashcan to cook for a month or so.

The bottom half of the pot will be the mix I describe above. The top half will be some sort of peat based soil....like Roots Organic, FFOF, etc. The top half will contain a small dose of CRF.

The idea is keep the simplicity of "just add water," and match it to the complexity beauty of an all organic grow.

I'm now officially growing for sick people....so I am striving to produce the best quality, healthy product I can do.

ON Edit: I just saw the post above this one, when I posted this....I like this Adam guy.....smart feller.

OC+ is not available in my area. Dynamite is. I'm new to all this info but am willing to try what's available. Called Scotts directly and they cannot tell me where w/in 50-mile radius I can get OC+. Southearsten Mass and lil Rhody don't qualify for the distribution yet...
Therefore, Dynamite it shall be.
So far 16/20 seeds have peeked their beautiful heads out, and I'm stalking DocBud's 'unlucky' post.
Really appreciate all the info.

Back
Top Bottom