Our Veggie Gardens!

My next canning project is meat,, chicken, fish, beef. You can do all that. My wife, looks at me like I'm crazy, but growing up that's how I saw meat go into meals -- out of a jar! :)

Whenever I get Moose Hunting or take a Doe, I always like to can the meat in a marinade, I used to do all my canning outdoors till I got a pressure canner/cooker, secondary use is sterilizing Mushroom medium :) that is if your into mushrooms, I haven't tried yet but I got some vids on growing shitake mushrooms that looks real neat, you colonize hardwood logs and they grow right out of the bark.

Damn I love being self sufficient

Dutty I am stoked to see your garden fully utilized, and I respect you deeply for providing for the food bank, your a man of integrity. If I could I would be there beside you helping out.

:)

I was gonna learn to can, but isn't root cellaring the veggies better for preserving their nutritional value and flavor? At my house we're just gonna try and root cellar everything or blanch/vacuum seal and freeze others. Fresh(ish) veggies in March would be great!

I really enjoyed this read on root cellaring. It's thorough yet very easy to read.

Root Cellars - Hobby Farms

Edit: And according to this: Nutritional value of canned versus fresh: Is there a susbstantial difference in vitamins and mineral values of canned foods, compared to fresh?
Canning your veggies at home isn't hurting their nutritional value, or flavor, if we do it right. Sorry, I was about to perpetuate a myth that I had been sold on, apparently.

Good read CO. Thanks.

Heres some pics sue.

Today's work.

DSC_2828.JPG
DSC_2829.JPG
DSC_2830.JPG
DSC_2831.JPG
DSC_2834.JPG
DSC_2838.JPG

I still have snow here. :(
This year will be more about designing a layout and building some beds. Lettuces and beets did good for last year, I'll do plenty of those. I won't be building my garden beds till early may. I will start some various plants inside first soon. We have lots of indigenous wild flower seeds to plant as well. This thread is getting me pumped up.. Will post pics as soon as I get started. Also going to transplant aspens into the yard.

Here's my compost pile in my driveway, frozen and blocking my vehicle access to the backyard to drive in all sorts of necessities. Moved midwinter, so I have a good excuse for not being to ready to veggie garden this season.

Have any of you growers ever cloned blueberries?

My largest is only 1 yr in the ground, but I could probably get 8-12 good cuttings of it.

I was thinking as soon as the sap rises and there is any new growth.

That would be so neat Rad. Nothing better than picking your own blueberries. Where were you planting them? We used to have some bushes next to our ponds, but we never attempted to propagate.

I got 6 bushes. Had 7 ran one over drunk on the mower jamming out to my headphones. I can try it first if you want rad like right now and let you know. I'll just throw like 6 cuttings in the cloner tonight I'll take pics.

Back
Top Bottom