Outdoor trees

Not too bad where I'm at, but it was really smokey all day here. I took this pic earlier today:

I cant believe the difference between planting in pots and in the ground. Next year I will need a better supprt system for these heavy branches. This is a 10' 8" tall moby dick monster.
full

Nice pruning job on those girls!

Beautiful.... Neatly trimmed.

What do you do to keep pests off? I have butterflies and moths galore in my area.

Here's my latest tree shots. They aren't super tall. The tallest one is about 7 ft and the shortest one about 6 ft. But they are the biggest I've been able to grow on my deck so far. I started growing at this house in 2015. But back then they were much smaller plants. Probably because I was just using little 10 gallon plastic pots.

I started mine indoors the beginning of April and put them outside in the ground in June sometime.

Next year i will be starting early as well and planting in the ground. The fabric pot, although cooler than hard sided, seem to leave some dry spots in the root IMO. Water seeps out the side rather than going straight down. The bags get super root bound too (20 gallon) and roots need room to reach out and grow i think....

One of the main reasons to use fabric pots is that they are breathable and allow for the roots to get more oxygen. I've been using 20 gallon fabric for 3 seasons now, and my plants love them. The plants do get root bound, but that just means the plant is super healthy and fills it out with roots completely. I would recommend every few weeks using a stake, make holes into the root ball of the pot to make several holes within the root mass. This will allow for better water/nutrient penetration throughout, and doesn't hurt the roots at all. This is one of my plants in a 20 gal fabric pot. It's about 6 1/2 ft tall.

Next year i will be starting early as well and planting in the ground. The fabric pot, although cooler than hard sided, seem to leave some dry spots in the root IMO. Water seeps out the side rather than going straight down. The bags get super root bound too (20 gallon) and roots need room to reach out and grow i think....
I grew outdoors in buckets and containers now only indoors for that mostly because moving them around is a pain and i can grow bigger plants in ground if i put them in early.Containers have benefits like earlier flowering but i feel are much more work over 4 months.This year is clearly my best outdoor crop yet and it just happens to be in ground.Plus a bit of luck and good weather.:420::cool:

Back
Top Bottom