ph water or not?

I use FFOF as well, In veg I ph nute water to 6.8 and my run off is 6.3 usually.

I had one lock up recently and the run off was 5.1, had to flush her with sledgehammer and all is good now.

im using some ffof on my soil seed plants and some clones I just use 7.0 tap at least for the first month which I haven't reached yet with this ffof
I was told ffof is hot and can burn seedling
rooted clones seem to do fine in it
but shouldn't have to add any nutes in it initially

Dont ph your water with hydroponic up down solution over time it will work against the natural buffers and lime in your premium soil i dont want to get flamed but over time all those hydro salts work against you.i phd every bit of water for years then found out better my grows have been great!!not to say it will happen i had many succesful grows phing the water a couple of times i had ph problems and later on i found out this was my problem. organic soil with lime doesnt require ph adjustment with hydroponics salts!!

In general...

Soils is normally self buffering, so what really matters is the correct PH value of soil/compost used ! & returns to ambient PH value in several hours or so. How ever using chemical synthetic nutrients may leave a salt deposit in the soil over time which can effect PH balance of growing medium... hence a feed, water regime is best used if using such nutrients.

If using organic nutrients ya more likely not need to PH buffer nutrient solution.

If using chemical/synthetic type nutrients... well depends on brand used if PH up or down is required.

I use type which buffers it self when mixed with water.

How ever chemical/synthetic nutrients may come in soft/hard water or a general type solution.. so best to know what ya using.

These are some pic's of plants grown with organic nutrients no PH or EC measuring was used... gave up after 2nd grow !

004899.JPG
0021042.JPG
004911.JPG
004957.JPG

Some other strain with organic nutrients... didn't bother with PH or EC with that one either.

PICT000356.JPG
PICT000155.JPG
PICT000357.JPG
PICT000457.JPG
PICT000154.JPG

PH & EC only really comes into growing when using inert growing mediums such as perlite, clay pebbles or any hydro style system using water such as DWC, ebb & flood etc

EC may play a part if using soil/coco coir as its based upon on strength of nutrients ml per litre of water depending on stage of plant growth or strain grown at the end of the day.

Right on fuzzy duck you try to tell people things but some dont listen you gotta show them great pics!!

MJ been growing in dirt for thousands of years... others grow out doors the same principle holds for indoors under light in soil all it really boils down to is correct PH of soil for best results even tho a little either side will give great results !

The whole PH of nutrients, well lets just say people get a little blinded by the so called science of growing... its bullshit for dirt growing :thumb:

I mean do we see that old boy down the road growing veg in his back garden or allotment PH nutrients for his lettuce, tomatos or radish like fcek do we... MJ is just another plant at the end of day.

Dont ph your water with hydroponic up down solution over time it will work against the natural buffers and lime in your premium soil i dont want to get flamed but over time all those hydro salts work against you.i phd every bit of water for years then found out better my grows have been great!!not to say it will happen i had many succesful grows phing the water a couple of times i had ph problems and later on i found out this was my problem. organic soil with lime doesnt require ph adjustment with hydroponics salts!!

That's why we flush my friend. I hear what you're saying, but this isn't a situation where you have to choose one or the other. Adjust your pH to what it should be, but flush your plants out to get rid of the salts a couple times per grow, you really out to flush a couple times a grow anyway just to aerate your soil. I check pH of my completely mixed nutrient solution right before I water as well as the runoff. It takes an extra 30 seconds to do and the information it gives you is priceless, especially when a deficiency or disease problem arises.

No Ph No problem in a organic soil. If your doing a soilless mix with nothing organic I would see why you would want to ph your water. But in ffof you basically kill everything good in it if you use hydroponic ph up and down. And if you try to use organic ph buffers it will really only mess with your soils buffering capabilities.

Fuzzy and tokersmokeg nailed it.

checking runoff has its benifits but adding hydro salts to a organic growing medium will be counterproductive!!different strokes for different folks!when you buy soil add a little lime and you will never have a ph problem

I'm sorry, but "organic" fertilizers contain the exact same types of "salts" that you apparently find so poisonous. Whether they exist in a gross "natural" form mixed in with dung or in a chemically pure form is inconsequential. And when you're talking about the concentrations used to adjust pH, I don't know about anyone else but I end up using a few drops per gallon, and that isn't nearly enough to cause any sort of significant precipitation of salts into your grow media.

I just couldn't disagree with you more about this, especially in light of all the problems that not controlling the pH of your grow media will cause you. I mean if you have access to rainwater and want to be an all-natural hippie type, fine. But if you're using water that you cannot trust to have a constant pH, it's foolish to not make sure you're in range.

Dilute phosphoric acid is going to do all that huh?

As you said phosphoric acid is an acid at the end off the day even tho phosphoric acid is normally associated with with PH down in bloom... none the less any such acidic PH up or down is general not so good for for beneficial soil microorganism etc that is the stuff which lives in soil. Best left to develop over time TBH & the reuse of soil if growing organic is a :thumb:

Gonna get long winded if i need to explain this...

How ever if using chemical/synthetic nutrients in soil a feed/feed/feed regime will eventually result in salt build ups this will effect PH value of soil medium which may result in nutrient lock out or toxicity issues !

Hence a feed/water/feed/water regime is best used, i hope ya getting savy about this !

The whole PH up or down or PH balance of nutrients is only really related to to hydro style systems or the use of inert growing mediums such as perlite/clay pebbles/rock wool etc...

It really does not apply to soil growing as soil is naturally self buffering to a certain extent depending on type of nutrients used aka organic/chemical with a suitable feed/water regime.

OOh ye i never used a PH up or down with organic nutrients WTF...

As you said phosphoric acid is an acid at the end off the day even tho phosphoric acid is normally associated with with PH down in bloom... none the less any such acidic PH up or down is general not so good for for beneficial soil microorganism etc that is the stuff which lives in soil. Best left to develop over time TBH & the reuse of soil if growing organic is a :thumb:

Gonna get long winded if i need to explain this...

How ever if using chemical/synthetic nutrients in soil a feed/feed/feed regime will eventually result in salt build ups this will effect PH value of soil medium which may result in nutrient lock out or toxicity issues !

Hence a feed/water/feed/water regime is best used, i hope ya getting savy about this !

The whole PH up or down or PH balance of nutrients is only really related to to hydro style systems or the use of inert growing mediums such as perlite/clay pebbles/rock wool etc...

It really does not apply to soil growing as soil is naturally self buffering to a certain extent depending on type of nutrients used aka organic/chemical with a suitable feed/water regime.

OOh ye i never used a PH up or down with organic nutrients WTF...

Most pH up and down solutions are comprised of a mixture of various WEAK acids and bases with the exception of phosphoric acid which is used in bloom as you said. And those weak acids and bases are the exact same kind of weak acids and bases that buffer your soil. And when we adjust the pH of our watering solution we do so by adding it to the solution before we water the plants, so it is at the ideal pH which our soil is buffered to be at and by doing all this we create LESS salts. If you water your soil with a solution that is not at the ideal pH, then the weak acids and bases that buffer your soil then have to do their work and CREATE SALT. Because by definition they are undergoing an acid/base reaction which creates salt.

Back
Top Bottom