Question about ripen and flush timeline when using GH: 8 weeks in flower

DazedSpirit

Hey everyone! So this is a bit long winded but stay with me lmao. I have only done this once before and had a plant mishap that forced me to cut everyone down early ( the net holding the plants broke). So I did not get to flush. Now I am reading up a bit more about the end of flower and hopefully I have the time to do it right this go! So I was wondering...
On the GH feedchart it is saying to stop feeding nutes for the last two weeks of flower (one week for ripen and 1 for flushing). Is this what everyone does for DWC? I did not get the chance to even ponder this part last time. So according to the seed distributor the strain I have has an estimate of 8 weeks in flower. So from what I am gathering I do 6 weeks running flowering nutes and two without? Or do I start to deprive them when I see like 25% cloudy trichs and let the plant tell me what it wants?
All input is welcome! Thanks folks.

Regardless of the GH feedchart, if you're flushing to get rid of excess nutes from the flowers before harvest, it's not scientifically possible.

Flowers are nutrient sinks not sources for the plant. The plant uses the nutrients to grow the flowers, and you will notice that when folks starve their plants at the end it's the leaves that get used up while the flowers don't show deficiencies. Leaves are sources, flowers are sinks.

Here's some reading material for you if you want to move beyond the myth:

Research paper on water only pre-harvest:

Here's a long video but it includes scientifically sound studies:

And if you haven't got the time to watch it, here is the summary:
• No chemical differences between the water-only and fed plants.
• No statistical differences between treatments.
• Terpenes increased with feeding vs. flushing.
• Plants tend to tightly control nutrient content of their flowers.

Regardless of the GH feedchart, if you're flushing to get rid of excess nutes from the flowers before harvest, it's not scientifically possible.

Flowers are nutrient sinks not sources for the plant. The plant uses the nutrients to grow the flowers, and you will notice that when folks starve their plants at the end it's the leaves that get used up while the flowers don't show deficiencies. Leaves are sources, flowers are sinks.

Wow, what a extensive reply this is so thorough! Thanks man, I don't have the time to try an figure out what all this is on a scientific level currently (as I need to refresh myself on the bare bones like ATP). I will def give this a once over when I have the time! I appreciate you sending all these great resources for information in one place, you have made it really convient, for everyone that is learning about growing. Thanks for your time man.

Ditto on the awesome information, and I‘ve used GH products for years and flush because, well, Ed told me to a long time ago. If the chemical composition of the bud doesn’t change (e.g. nutes that are in, stay), is the flush more for flavor? If so, what are we tasting? Terpenes increase without flush, so……..should we just skip the flush and add a week of flower?

Ditto on the awesome information, and I‘ve used GH products for years and flush because, well, Ed told me to a long time ago. If the chemical composition of the bud doesn’t change (e.g. nutes that are in, stay), is the flush more for flavor? If so, what are we tasting? Terpenes increase without flush, so……..should we just skip the flush and add a week of flower?
I would skip the flush and harvest when they're just to your liking!

I don't flush & I rarely have a leaf that turns yellow, falls off or turns crispy at the end. All my leaves stay green. Why? Because I feed all the way to the day of harvest. Why let the plant eat itself & develop a deficiency at the end when I just spent 3.5 months keeping it healthy ? Flushing doesn't change the taste, smell or anything else. It's a proper cure that does that.

Back
Top Bottom