Raisingcain's First Grow With Pics

follow the directions for sure, however I do switch to a more P K based nute, with some N which you still need. If this sounds like a foreign language, its pretty easy, when you look a nutrient you see 3 numbers for example for a vegi nute you might see 6-4-4 with the number representing the
N-P-K...

N - stands for nitrogen. You probably knew that one. This nutrient is the leaf and stem developer and adding nitrogen wiil get thing growing fast. Beware of using to much as this will kill the plant and or unbalance the PH in soil.

P - stands for phosphorus. This nutrient is valuable for developing flowers and fruit - plus helps roots take quickly to the soil around them. If you're frustrated by lots of leaves and stems developing on your fruiting crops like pumpkin or tomatoes ( Cannabis has very similar nutrient needs as tomatoes). But nary a fruit in sight - you may need a boost of phosphorus.

K - stands for Potassium. Potassium promotes healthy roots systems and helps the plants resist disease. It also works alongside the phosphorus in developing fruit. You'll notice it's importance if you're growing Cannabis.

Most Nutrients have all this information clearly labeled for your viewing pleasure. Find a balance and your golden :rollit:

I use Fox Farms myself however I have heard this is not an organic nute, I am still skeptical as it has what seem to be organic materials and processes in which to derive them in small custom batches and I quote

"Proudly Owned & Operated by Willy Winer & Family, Humboldt County, California.

As a nationally recognized family-owned company, we are dedicated to producing the finest quality garden products available anywhere. Because organic ingredients play such a large role in our company, all formulas are handcrafted in small batches to ensure superior consistency and quality control. We offer custom blended soil mixes, natural and organic fertilizers as well as organic-based products that Combine the Best of Technology with the Goodness of Nature "

The plants look great, Raisin. I hear you on watching the weather closely. Finally getting some moisture here - had a little rain shower the last two evenings and humidity has been up quite a bit. The worst of the hot dry conditions are over, I hope.

I use Fox Farms myself however I have heard this is not an organic nute, I am still skeptical as it has what seem to be organic materials and processes in which to derive them in small custom batches and I quote

"Proudly Owned & Operated by Willy Winer & Family, Humboldt County, California.

As a nationally recognized family-owned company, we are dedicated to producing the finest quality garden products available anywhere. Because organic ingredients play such a large role in our company, all formulas are handcrafted in small batches to ensure superior consistency and quality control. We offer custom blended soil mixes, natural and organic fertilizers as well as organic-based products that Combine the Best of Technology with the Goodness of Nature "

FYI, from the FF webpage

Our Products: Organic or Synthetic? Our Peace of Mind® and Happy Frog® fertilizers are 100% organic. Our Big Bloom™ Liquid Fertilizer and all of our soils are also organic. We do offer some fertilizers with mineral-based, time-release ingredients that are not classified as organic. These include American Pride® and Marine Cuisine® fertilizers, Tiger Bloom® and Grow Big® liquids, and our soluble products like Cha Ching®, Beastie Bloomz®, and Open Sesame®.

2014-06-25_17_36_17.jpg
2014-06-25_17_36_29.jpg
2014-06-25_17_36_17.jpg
2014-06-25_17_36_29.jpg
2014-06-25_17_36_48.jpg
2014-06-25_17_36_56.jpg
2014-06-25_17_36_56.jpg
2014-06-25_17_36_56.jpg
2014-06-25_17_37_09.jpg
20140625_173736.jpg

Male second pic from bottom

Good morning hope everyone had a great 4th of July!!!
Yesterday was hot as hell in Northern Colorado.
I came home around 5 and went outside to water my plants and noticed that all of the newer growth on all of my plants leaves were folded up some even twisted straight up!!! I freaked out and did a little research and I think it was heat stress. I increased the amount of water from 1 gallon to 1 gallon and a quarter and this morning they look a little better so Im assuming it was heat stress.
I have a couple questions could someone give me some advice?
1) My plants are in 7 gallon pots, drain holes at the bottom are present. I water about every 3rd or 4th day depending on how hot its been. Is this enough or too much?? I always wait til the top 2 inches of the soil dry up before watering.

2) I use distilled water consistently because our town flooded last year and there are a ton of chemicals in the city water to battle water funk. Is this ok? SHould I be adding any CalMag or anything else to the water?

3)What can I do moving forward to battle heat stress?

4) Check out the 2nd picture. There are two tear-drop shaped growths on both sides of the plant, am I in Male-denial? May still be too early but Im losing patients. There were similar looking growths at a different node that turned in to new leaves but I cant tell.

Thanks for you response in advance.

Heat stress ??
20140706_083646.jpg

High fiving gloriously , lil wrinkle (Minor heat stress) but looks like she got use to it fast , looking purdy! When they lighten in color on top it indicates sexing has begun (Center canopy yellows slightly) Lookin great eh!

Good morning its Thursday July 10th. Time goes by so fast these days.
SO out of my 4 plants I only have 1 that I have confirmed female. The other 3 seem like they are messing with me. At the usual sites you would check for signs of sex I have seen what appeared at first to be little balls. I didnt get pissed at first and rip them out because I wasnt 100% sure but now the "balls" look like they are turning into new growth. Almost like another leaf is forming. I ve looked at tons of pics online and cant find anything similar so I am reaching out for some PRO advice.

Also was curious if I can continue to LST my plants that Ive already done some on. When should I stop training?
And one other thing, should I begin using flowering nutes yet??

I have learned alot of valuable info on this site in the last 2 months so thank you to everyone to responding to my journal. Tons of positive encouragement I appreciate it. And thanks for all the info that everyone else has in their journal as well. Having a BLAST!
Check the pics!!

The biggest 1
20140710_091425.jpg

The next in one to the right, catching up!
20140710_091431.jpg

Potted plant with some LST.... should I keep training?
20140710_091436.jpg

Grounded confirmed female.....more training??
20140710_091453.jpg
20140710_091522.jpg

Heres the growth I mentioned above looks like a new leaf forming where the "ball" was. This type of growth has appeared at every usual place you would normally see balls or pistils
20140710_091716.jpg

I like the biggest one the best for obvious reasons. Its really starting to bush out it stands about 5 1/2 feet tall from the bottom of the container to the top leaf. Just wish I had a definite sign of sex. I think even if it is a male ill move it to the other side of my house and maybe harvest some seeds just for the hell of it. Like Ive said before I have never grown ANYTHING in the past and want to experiment and learn as much as possible. And because I am unsure of what strain I am growing, I may end up really liking the buds that I produce and want to continue growing a familiar strain.

I think Im going to go ahead and bend some more stems around on the LST'd plants to see what happens.
When is a good time to stop LST. I would assume when they begin flowering but am not sure. Also Ive noticed alot of people pruning the fan leaves and undergrowth on their plants. Is this beneficial? I would assume the reason for pruning is so the plant can focus its energy on bud production and increase of light on shaded bud sites but not sure. Any opinions??

That sounds really good. Let some go and continue LST on the others. Watch and see what happens. That way you will learn more than if you listen to distant spectators toss out random opinions. You may be growing cannabis for the next 40 years. Experiment and you'll learn what works well for you :)

The plants look great. I hate the defoliation issue. It's one of those topics that people get really assertive about. It's a situational decision, really. If you are worried about mold because the climate is too damp then increasing the airflow is good. If you live in a dry climate the plant will benefit from a denser structure. There are other issues, too. I know enough about your climate that I'd mostly let them be for the time being. Just my two cents...

Back
Top Bottom