Retail bud always dry, never sticky

BUT i do believe that when and where the market and government allows there will be a demand for boutique, quality craft cannabis. There will be enough customers fed up with shitty herb willing to pay top dollar for quality. Same happened with other industries as tobacco and alcohol, just because someone sells crappy $12 corn whiskey on the shelf they didn't exactly put Pappy Van Winkle out of business, rather gave enough contrast between bad and good whiskey that actually creater more demand for Pappy in a niche market of high end hand crafted product.
What happened with beer? The new generation of beer drinkers came about tired of the cheap, mass produced beers that their dad and grandpa drank and created demand for a craft beer market where consumers are eager to pay more for a single craft beer than a case of cheap beer! Seriously my local brewery has limited releases that sell out in a day and can cost $21 a bottle!! One bottle of beer!

That is happening already with my medical grows here in Missouri. Two people have already signed up as patients and have committed to only getting my consistently great product, rather than take a risk on the stuff in the local dispensaries that costs a lot more. As we move to a recreational platform and new rules for cultivation, I will easily slip into a connoisseur grower mode.

I gotta chime in here because I am a dispensary owner. Please support the ma n pa, family owned smaller stores. We take a lot of pride n put our heart n souls into this industry. We may not offer 30 strains or a multitude of concentrates and edibles but we usually have the killer!

if only the bud looked like this ever , just once would be great . In IL, I’ve never received an 1/8 th of anything worth a shit

I'd buy your stuff!
Unfortunately the cannabis market will not give every farmer growing mediocre product a fair shot at profitability, you will be drowned out by the industrial warehouse weed that's driving down the market prices. BUT as you said there is a chance to create a niche market and demand for your product where customers are more than eager to pay extra to have YOUR hand growing their meds. A market flooded with crap will create snobs and connoisseurs (as a knee jerk reaction) that demand higher end, hand crafted boutique products. No one shows up to a party with a bottle of the cheapest swill wine in hand and says "Hey guys, I brought the good stuff!"
(Except two buck chuck from Trader Joe's...that's actually pretty tasty LOL)
No one reaches for a $1 gas station cigar and says "Let's celebrate this special occasion by smoking these dry, brittle turds!" NO! They're going to pull out the $20+ fine, hand rolled cigars and brandy, etc.
People are willing to pay 20 times more in these cases!
Look at Rolls Royce's hand made cars that people are willing to pay $400,000 to drive the same streets as the loyal $20,000 Corolla. That's 20 times more! Twenty! Toyota didn't put Rolls out of business, maybe took some customers. Sure Toyota sells literally boatloads of cars every day. BUT The only reason that company is still making and selling their expensive ass cars for 20 times more money than the Corolla is because "discerning motorists" are still buying them!

Congrats on your Rolls Royce @Emilya

I'd buy your stuff!
Unfortunately the cannabis market will not give every farmer growing mediocre product a fair shot at profitability, you will be drowned out by the industrial warehouse weed that's driving down the market prices. BUT as you said there is a chance to create a niche market and demand for your product where customers are more than eager to pay extra to have YOUR hand growing their meds. A market flooded with crap will create snobs and connoisseurs (as a knee jerk reaction) that demand higher end, hand crafted boutique products. No one shows up to a party with a bottle of the cheapest swill wine in hand and says "Hey guys, I brought the good stuff!"
No one reaches for a $1 gas station cigar and says "Let's celebrate this special occasion by smoking these dry, brittle turds!" NO! They're going to pull out the $20+ fine, hand rolled cigars and brandy, etc.
Look at Rolls Royce's hand made cars that people are willing to pay $400,000 to drive the same streets as the loyal $20,000 Corolla. That's 20 times more! Twenty! Toyota didn't put Rolls out of business, maybe took some customers. Sure Toyota sells literally boatloads of cars every day. BUT The only reason that company is still making and selling their expensive ass cars for 20 times more money than the Corolla is because "discerning motorists" are still buying them!

We have some pretty large grows here, 100,000 sq ft. I actually undercut their pricing, I dont have huge overhead, 100 employees ripping me off. I do everything myself, growing, trimming, run the retail store, accounting.....I easily work 80 hours a week, every week. I give family and friends a deal, $20 a 1/8 n $150 a ounce. Everyone else pays $25/$180. Maybe I should raise my prices though, I had to close the doors at the store for almost a month because I was sold out.

We have some pretty large grows here, 100,000 sq ft. I actually undercut their pricing, I dont have huge overhead, 100 employees ripping me off. I do everything myself, growing, trimming, run the retail store, accounting.....I easily work 80 hours a week, every week. I give family and friends a deal, $20 a 1/8 n $150 a ounce. Everyone else pays $25/$180. Maybe I should raise my prices though, I had to close the doors at the store for almost a month because I was sold out.
I by no means have any place to say how you should run your business, but my friend that's not sustainable.
You're working yourself to death and giving away too much profit. Maybe test the waters on a few things like raising your prices a little and maybe bring on a part time helper or two? Maybe a local stoner-botany student or someone you can trust to delegate some of the smaller tasks like cleaning the grow room or sweeping up leaves or watching the store for a few hours something? I mean 1/8th here costs $50!! But there are only a handful of licensed dispensaries that control the market as well

I by no means have any place to say how you should run your business, but my friend that's not sustainable.
You're working yourself to death and giving away too much profit. Maybe test the waters on a few things like raising your prices a little and maybe bring on a part time helper or two? Maybe a local stoner-botany student or someone you can trust to delegate some of the smaller tasks like cleaning the grow room or sweeping up leaves or watching the store for a few hours something? I mean 1/8th here costs $50!! But there are only a handful of licensed dispensaries that control the market as well
I understand your side and point of view. At the end of the year I am still very profitable. I am definitely not a greedy person and I would go back to pounding nails before i sell a 1/8 for 50! my overhead is very minimal compared to most, I will only be working myself to death til October this year. Once the new laws are set here I will be going wholesale. Then all I do is grow, trim n sell 6 crops a year. Before I had a retail location the grow was easy, I really only worked 2 weeks per crop, rest of it was watching plants grow. Also where i am at there is so much black market to compete against and when $500 qp's are available everywhere its hard to go much higher than what i charge. We get a bunch of the outdoor Cali weed, then we right on the Canadian border and have a lot flowing down from the north, i bet 1 out of 10 households here grow...Its tough business.

I'd buy your stuff!

It would be ok if they were charging a fair price for it in IL but they are not . In fact I’d be willing to bet it’s the highest price in the US.
1/8 will cost you about $80 out the door . Ridiculous dry , no trichomes, hay smelling garbage
My experience with IL
CO, that’s a whole different story . I love CO but too far away

I understand your side and point of view. At the end of the year I am still very profitable. I am definitely not a greedy person and I would go back to pounding nails before i sell a 1/8 for 50! my overhead is very minimal compared to most, I will only be working myself to death til October this year. Once the new laws are set here I will be going wholesale. Then all I do is grow, trim n sell 6 crops a year. Before I had a retail location the grow was easy, I really only worked 2 weeks per crop, rest of it was watching plants grow. Also where i am at there is so much black market to compete against and when $500 qp's are available everywhere its hard to go much higher than what i charge. We get a bunch of the outdoor Cali weed, then we right on the Canadian border and have a lot flowing down from the north, i bet 1 out of 10 households here grow...Its tough business.
Was the outdoor market affected much by last year's fires? I would assume so
Also, I've always wanted to ask a commercial grower what do you do with your leaves and stems?

Was the outdoor market affected much by last year's fires? I would assume so
Also, I've always wanted to ask a commercial grower what do you do with your leaves and stems?
We really don't get a outdoor season here. You can but need to run heated greenhouse. Some years we have snow and freezing nights up until June. I've seen snow on the ground as early as September.
I just burn all my leaves and stems or til them into my veggie garden. Just depends on the time of year.

I do exactly that and at almost the same rates. I have a couple of helpers who come in to help carry stuff up and down the stairs, build walls, trim, do work in the yard and around the house and I am even training them how to water in case I might want to take a vacation during a grow someday. One of them has a card, so he gets the medical rate, with another special discount in appreciation for all the cheap labor, and they love being around it all and learning all they can from me. Since it costs an additional $100 a year to sign up other medical patients under you and you can only have 2 more besides yourself, you really have to have some dedicated and loyal folks around you when you start a medical grow op in this state. If you have that, you can offset your costs fairly easily and legally, but it is quite expensive to get a large operation going. Each of my patients and I have to spend $125 / year just to get the card, then I have to spend an additional $300 to get the license to grow for me and register as the caregiver for the two additional patients that I am allowed.

I don't even want to think about the yearly licensing costs to run a dispensary, but at whatever level you get into this thing, there is a nut that has to be paid as well as profitability and sustainability issues to consider. Not even considering the long term investments I have put into my house for this project as part of the COO, my main concern was making sure to recoup normal operating costs as well as my $425/yr licensing fees. The numbers work if you crunch them, but it isn't something you want to jump into without a good plan and a ready to go and committed customer (patient) base.

Any bud that is machine trimmed basically turns to shit.
I believe there are some small dispensaries here and there that have personal artisanal growers supplying their bud that probably have some top shelf hand trimmed properly cured bud for $350+ oz.
But I bet those dispensaries are few and far between.

No states nor countries currently have truly legal cannabis.
If I can't plant as much cannabis as I damn well please on my own land then it ain't legal, period.
To be legal it needs to be treated like a tomato. I can plant pretty much as many tomato plants as I like and the only thing I need to worry about is horn worms.
All we have now is a money making scam and the state and federal government treat cannabis like its nuclear waste.

We should be able to walk into a grocery store and buy big spears of fresh cannabis for about $5 a pound to turn into juice.
Oh I agree! And, no one should let “geography “ dictate whether they grow, smoke or buy weed. In my opinion if it’s considered legal at least one place in the United States then it’s all good. I’m really tired of the government dictating what I can and cannot have. I do what I want and whats best for me.

I wish it were only a few hundred bucks to have a legal grow license here...that costs millions! We have to pay $500+/year just to be a med patient! Dr fees + state licensing fees + renewal fees etc. And then you have to renew it every 7 months!

Anywho, i asked about the green waste after harvest as i was attempting on a small scale to vermicompost mine and turn my leaves and stems into worm castings to use back in the grow, etc. And thought that'd be really cool to do on a commercial scale! Talk about saving money!
Then geckos ate all of my worms. Also, they don't like used coco for bedding and try to escape. But other than that was able to produce a few buckets of worm poo for the garden before my wiggly little friends became a reptilian buffet...except they forgot to eat some tomato seeds from the kitchen scraps I added and to this day still get random volunteer tomatoes all over the place! Indoors, outdoors, anywhere I would have sprinkled some worm poo has popped tomato plants!

Personally I think if its sticky, like sticky sticky its still to wet. I cure mine at 62% for a month then drop down to around 54%, 58% depending on strain. I go by feel once under 60%. I find the buds to still be a tad bit spongy and don't crumble to dust but still snap off the stem. The buds can be ground n make good joints and books burn down to all white.

I have some 2 1/2 year old Blueberry thats very sticky gooey still.
Is it still good to smoke after that long and does it still have a kick to it? I need to grow as infrequent as possible and wonder how long I can store my weed.

Back
Top Bottom