Room still smells with carbon filter

Watige

I have a 4" inline duct fan with an airflow rated at 195 CFM attached to a 4" 150CFM air carbon filter inside a 4'x2'x5' grow tent located in a spare bedroom. Before attaching the filter I ran the fan pulling air through a hose out the window and had no issues with smell. I have attached a picture to show you how I have it setup to see what you think or if its unreasonable to believe that the filter could eliminate the smell. With the filter now attached, I have closed the window and the end of the hose now just empties into the room and I can smell weed. I have noticed that since I've attached the filter the tent isn't as sucked in like its lost some negative pressure.
EDIT TO PIC: I have attached the cotton filter pad for the outside of the filter and moved the harness back off the holes and can still smell.

Attachments

• 20190622_151301.jpg
    20190622_151301.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 222
how old is the filter ?

looks kinda small for starters. smaller filters get used up faster. bigger filter, longer lasting, more smell removal over longer period.

my filters are small as well. they last about 1 to 1 1/2 grows before i notice they need a recharge. i use 4 inch as well.

i live in legal land so i can just bake them to recharge as needed, but it dumps all that stink in one fell swoop when you do it. the neighbours may not be so happy when i do it. my exhaust is real good and although there is no odour in the house, i can tell for sure where it dumps in the back yard lol.

oh forgot: filter brand will impact performance as well.

how old is the filter ?

looks kinda small for starters. smaller filters get used up faster. bigger filter, longer lasting, more smell removal over longer period.

my filters are small as well. they last about 1 to 1 1/2 grows before i notice they need a recharge. i use 4 inch as well.

i live in legal land so i can just bake them to recharge as needed, but it dumps all that stink in one fell swoop when you do it. the neighbours may not be so happy when i do it. my exhaust is real good and although there is no odour in the house, i can tell for sure where it dumps in the back yard lol.

oh forgot: filter brand will impact performance as well.
The filter is brand new.

need bigger or crap filter then.

my veg room filter dumps indoors, it is about the same size, i don't have any real odours from it. the flower room exhaust direct to outdoor. i can stink up half a block when that one gives out completely. it takes a bit to do tho.

need bigger or crap filter then.

my veg room filter dumps indoors, it is about the same size, i don't have any real odours from it. the flower room exhaust direct to outdoor. i can stink up half a block when that one gives out completely. it takes a bit to do tho.
Do you think a fan capable of more pull would work?

can't hurt. what is the cfm ?

my fans exhaust the room in under 2 min. they are a bit over kill. my rooms are built in tho. the trouble with tents is you need a fan to pull the whole room the tent is set up in to be effective. filter has to be matched to what the fan can do to work best as well.

when i was in this deeper i used to do rooms within a room. we ran intake and exhaust from each tent/ room in to the main room, then had a big carbon filter and extraction fan clearing the larger room direct to outdoor.

can't hurt. what is the cfm ?

my fans exhaust the room in under 2 min. they are a bit over kill. my rooms are built in tho. the trouble with tents is you need a fan to pull the whole room the tent is set up in to be effective. filter has to be matched to what the fan can do to work best as well.

when i was in this deeper i used to do rooms within a room. we ran intake and exhaust from each tent/ room in to the main room, then had a big carbon filter and extraction fan clearing the larger room direct to outdoor.
The fan is 195CFM and the filter is 150CFM. I never thought about it having to be able to pull the entire room and not just the tent.

This is what mine looks like

I have it on the outside of the tent though.
I might try this setup instead of what I have just to see. I tried it for a little bit but didn't give it a chance whenever I felt like it wasn't pulling as hard this way. I thought maybe because of the bends in the hose. The way I have it attached now the air is pulled from the outside of the filter into the filter and though the fan and hose out the tent.

The fan is 195CFM and the filter is 150CFM. I never thought about it having to be able to pull the entire room and not just the tent.

most people don't. in truth you don't have to size it for the whole room with a tent, but that is in effect what happens. when the filter is outside the tent, like backlipslide's post, that is exactly what they are doing

The fan pulls air from the top of the tent, sucking fresh air in from the holes I have cut at the bottom of the tent. Goes to the ducting, then runs to the fan, outside the other side of the fan into another tubing, then exits out the carbon air filter.

The fan pulls air from the top of the tent, sucking fresh air in from the holes I have cut at the bottom of the tent. Goes to the ducting, then runs to the fan, outside the other side of the fan into another tubing, then exits out the carbon air filter.

are you blowing thru the filter, and not pulling thru it ?

Yes @Watige we can see that with the picture you provided. You do have the fan sucking and not pushing right? It may be a simple concept but you’d be surprised.

Your filter looks like it’s missing a cover over the filter it’s self like mine has.

Yes @Watige we can see that with the picture you provided. You do have the fan sucking and not pushing right? It may be a simple concept but you’d be surprised.

Your filter looks like it’s missing a cover over the filter it’s self like mine has.
Yes I am positive. I am not sure about a cover? Can you post a pic?

This is not my setup. Everything is inside the tent except the end of the hose that empties the filtered air into the bedroom.
that is exactly what i thought. it is in essence the same as my veg room set up. except i open a window sometime to passively exhaust the whole area.

you are recirculating the whole room internally. if you exhaust to outside you will get greater odor reduction. other wise your filter is struggling to re-filter the same air continuously.

Back
Top Bottom