Scarfinger68's - Soil - CFL - Aurora Indica Journal - 2013

Aurora Indica day 21 of flower

Watered and gave some nutes :morenutes: today (2 tsp. of Big Bloom, 1 tsp. of Grow Big, 1 tsp. of Tiger Bloom, 1 tsp. of cal/mag per 1 gallon of water)

Things are looking good. Some yellowing at the bottom. Minimal smell.
P1000875.JPG

P10008742.JPG

P1000873.JPG

P10008761.JPG

:peacetwo:

I can't wait to hear how she smells towards end and at harvest. when I grew diesel the skunk smell never creeped in till the end, but she stank to the high heavens

Looks like skunk leaves too, wouldn't you say? Maybe the n.l. keeps her quiet.. who knows? I really would like to know if this truly is s.s. x n.l.

very jealous, i have a few questions if i may
how old are your cfl's ? apparently they lose lux but i am not sure at what rate they become too weak
did you purchase all your seeds? i tried bagseed first to practice and was happy in the end but i am now vegging some purchased feminized aurora indica seeds and i am not having the same success
they seem to be a bit more delicate. perhaps this is because of the feminized? i germed 2 and they began to stretch so i moved the lights closer, soon i noticed the leaves shrivel a bit and dry on the tips and i immediately moved the light back. one recovered one died. it seems that the new leaves are healthy but i fear it stunted as i don't see it growing out. it seems to grow upward fine but underneath growth is minimal ,i fimmed it after 5 nodes and have started lst but its not vigorous like the bagseed, what i mean is its not bushing out like my previous grow. is this normal? i mean did you feel they were slow growing to start? stunted from the light burn maybe? i am using the same wattage as before and may just need some patience after all i am newb. anyway i watch closely and try to emulate your moves. lol as a matter of fact i go to reread this journal after i post this. i hope this isn't just confusing garbledygook as i am no writer =)
thanks for your time and journal

I can't wait to hear how she smells towards end and at harvest. when I grew diesel the skunk smell never creeped in till the end, but she stank to the high heavens

Looks like skunk leaves too, wouldn't you say? Maybe the n.l. keeps her quiet.. who knows? I really would like to know if this truly is s.s. x n.l.

In VEG when you rub the leaves you can smell a much more Dankness, weed smell. I am assuming this is a more skunky type smell. I have never grown a skunk cross so I can't say for sure. My Northern Lights had this type of smell but on a lower scale. The ICE in VEG smells like a grapefruit peel smell. Currently at day 21 they have a light weed smell from the fan blowing on them. I bet they are going to be pretty stinky around day 45ish

To my surprise they do tend to have a more sativa like leaf structure. I was picturing a wide leaf set in my head. There must be a couple phenotypes.

very jealous, i have a few questions if i may
how old are your cfl's ? apparently they lose lux but i am not sure at what rate they become too weak
did you purchase all your seeds? i tried bagseed first to practice and was happy in the end but i am now vegging some purchased feminized aurora indica seeds and i am not having the same success
they seem to be a bit more delicate. perhaps this is because of the feminized? i germed 2 and they began to stretch so i moved the lights closer, soon i noticed the leaves shrivel a bit and dry on the tips and i immediately moved the light back. one recovered one died. it seems that the new leaves are healthy but i fear it stunted as i don't see it growing out. it seems to grow upward fine but underneath growth is minimal ,i fimmed it after 5 nodes and have started lst but its not vigorous like the bagseed, what i mean is its not bushing out like my previous grow. is this normal? i mean did you feel they were slow growing to start? stunted from the light burn maybe? i am using the same wattage as before and may just need some patience after all i am newb. anyway i watch closely and try to emulate your moves. lol as a matter of fact i go to reread this journal after i post this. i hope this isn't just confusing garbledygook as i am no writer =)
thanks for your time and journal

My CFL's are pretty old. Probably around 3 years old. I have only replaced 1 of them sence I started. It just goes to show you that you don't need the biggest badest light set out there to grow cannabis. But... If I had a dedicated 6 foot high closet I would try some HPS or LED lights. I have considered a 250 watt HPS but I hear they are as hot as a 400 watt. I never took the plunge because it gets up as high as 90°F currently in the summers. I am in no way saying CFL's are better. It is just what works for my situation.

I started with bag seed originally. Its is a good way to get some experience in.
My Aurora Indica seemed more delicate also. It gave me some burning/browning in VEG that I wasn't used to. ***I completely agree with the not vigorous statement. My ICE grew strong and tolerated all sorts of abuse. These AI's are thinner, less vigorous and if I was a pig farmer I would say they where the runts of the bunch. Now during flowering one of the plants has tended to stretch a little but not to bad. The stems are starting to thicken up more now and they seem to be getting with the program.

I have to apologize because I have not been as precise during this grow. I will try to be a little more precise knowing people are paying attention. :)

:rollit:Your plants are looking good and happy
Nice canopy there Scarfinger from your training done to em and your experience with timing of when 2 flower plants in your cab:cheer:

So far I have done pretty good with plant height. When I originally started growing I did more of a see of green. My plants where from clone and only Veg'd around 2 weeks and then tossed in the flower box. It gave me a good idea on how they grew. I was always worried about plant height to begin with.

So now I am Veg'ing around 2 months. The LST/HST and topping really helps keep the plant height down. Mostly my Indica dominant plants tend to double in size. Also I am not afraid to HST a runaway branch in flower to control height. :)

yes i am watching =) actually i spend tons of time on this site reading anything with cfl, newb or aurora indica in the title as this is what i am currently, especially the newb part lol , i heard that this strain was very good for pain suffering and as you stated before its supposed to be their most potent indica. i also tried to get some called ak 48 cause it was supposed to be easy for beginners and fast to mature but unfortunately i only received half my order which was very frustrating cause i can't afford losses. it's a long story that i wont bore you with. anyway i guess i am lucky i got the AI, i am hopeful it will make my days and nights easier as i absolutely hate taking pills and the insurance checks have died out long ago,i know the bagseed flowers helped my outlook immensely but i was lucky to get those and have noone i trust to try to get more. also i wanted to know more of what i was getting thus the purchase of professional genetics

i also wish for the hps kit but i am currently in economical fallout and had to save for a few months just to purchase seeds , my situation is about as ghetto as it gets. when i say i am jealous i am in no way exaggerating. i probably shouldn't have spent the funds i already have but the cfl were cheap and i could add one here and there. i already had things like molasses and epsom salt,pots and some soil from my wife's pepper grow so i figured what the heck,its only for a bit of personal relief . i believe as the young people say today...yolo?
i don't start a journal cause i am not worth peoples time and i have no camera at all. also i am not sure i can keep internet access much longer anyway. i will copy this journal and reference it offline if i do have to give it up so once again my humble thanks for your time and if i can do as well as you i will be a happy camper. just over a month has passed and i still have a survivor lol hope abounds.

good fortunes and long life, yuyo out

yes i am watching =) actually i spend tons of time on this site reading anything with cfl, newb or aurora indica in the title as this is what i am currently, especially the newb part lol , i heard that this strain was very good for pain suffering and as you stated before its supposed to be their most potent indica. i also tried to get some called ak 48 cause it was supposed to be easy for beginners and fast to mature but unfortunately i only received half my order which was very frustrating cause i can't afford losses. it's a long story that i wont bore you with. anyway i guess i am lucky i got the AI, i am hopeful it will make my days and nights easier as i absolutely hate taking pills and the insurance checks have died out long ago,i know the bagseed flowers helped my outlook immensely but i was lucky to get those and have noone i trust to try to get more. also i wanted to know more of what i was getting thus the purchase of professional genetics

i also wish for the hps kit but i am currently in economical fallout and had to save for a few months just to purchase seeds , my situation is about as ghetto as it gets. when i say i am jealous i am in no way exaggerating. i probably shouldn't have spent the funds i already have but the cfl were cheap and i could add one here and there. i already had things like molasses and epsom salt,pots and some soil from my wife's pepper grow so i figured what the heck,its only for a bit of personal relief . i believe as the young people say today...yolo?
i don't start a journal cause i am not worth peoples time and i have no camera at all. also i am not sure i can keep internet access much longer anyway. i will copy this journal and reference it offline if i do have to give it up so once again my humble thanks for your time and if i can do as well as you i will be a happy camper. just over a month has passed and i still have a survivor lol hope abounds.

good fortunes and long life, yuyo out

My first purchased seed grow was feminized Northern Lights. I bought them because they were suppose to be good for beginners. Out of 5 seeds I only had 1 survive. I grew it out and then started attempting to take clones. Eventually got it down and that one plant gave me multiple grows.

Snow White, Northern Lights and ICE are all easy grows. Aurora Indica may be a little finicky in VEG.

I didn't get a chance to check on the plants today because we have visitors. Will try and update tomorrow.

Day 24 of flower. I watered with some run-off like I always do. Check the PH of the Nutes before application: yellow with a tinge of green so... best guess 6.8 to 7.0 PH. Run-off water PH was in the same range.

Topped off with some flower nutes (2 tsp. of Big Bloom, 1 tsp. of Grow Big, 1 tsp. of Tiger Bloom, 1 tsp. of cal/mag per 1 gallon of water).

Thing are moving along nicely. I got some yellowing of the undergrowth. I usually do some undergrowth trimming around day 21. I sometimes take clones at day 21. I didn't do either of those 2 things this time.

Picture would of been better but they really look about the same as last pictures with a little more yellowing in the undergrowth.

Sounds good Scar! Is that the soil feeding schedule you are basing your nutes on, or is that your own version of FF's schedule?

I am loosely using the Fox Farms Soil fertilizer schedule. It calls for (3 tsp. of Big Bloom, 2 tsp. of Grow Big, and 2 tsp. of Tiger Bloom per 1 gallon of water). I usually do (2 tsp. of Big Bloom, 1 tsp. of Grow Big, 1 tsp. of Tiger Bloom, 1 tsp. of cal/mag per 1 gallon of water).

I also try and give them VEG nutes the first week into flower (2 tsp. of Big Bloom, 2 tsp. of Grow Big per 1 gallon of water). They recommend (3 tsp. of Big Bloom, 3 tsp. of Grow Big per 1 gallon of water).

Sometimes a don't use the Fox Farms at initial flip to flower. I will give them a tsp. of a general 10-10-10 dry Veg and Flower fertilizer (**Not the crystalized ferts like miracle grow)

update coming...

:peace2:

Aurora Indica day 27 of flower:

I went ahead and fertilized them 2 consecutive waterings. For some reason they are yellowing a bit more than I am used to. Looks like they are using up nitrogen. So I gave them some more ferts. Run-off was yellow colored, so somewhere in the 6's for PH.

I went ahead and trimmed a little underneath the canopy. I usually do this at day 21 of flower but... I have been a little off/behind lately. If I was going to take cones I would have at day 21. I didn't this time. I have an Aurora Indica and an ICE in VEG I can take clones from.

Pictures...

P10008891.JPG

P10008903.JPG

P10008883.JPG

Close up of trim job
P10008912.JPG

Flower box
P1000895.JPG

Flower
P10008992.JPG

Veg Room ICE in back AI up front
P10009001.JPG

looks like everything is coming along nicely scar

Sorry no pics. I have unexpected guests that have stayed longer than expected. I believe I am at day 35 of flower. Watered and gave nutes today.

I should have taken clones or at least cut the mother plants down in size. But... I haven't got to it yet.

I will try and get some pics up when I can.

*Oh man.. I got a headache* :surrender:

I can say I understand more about light now. Can I say I know how to add up lumens... not unequivocally.

Phew... I am done thinking about light. All I know is I got some nice buds using CFL's

Done... Finito... Wham! Bam! Thank you Mam!... and he spikes the football, game over! :rofl:

Please can we stop talking about light :bitingnails: :surrender: :rip:

:clap:

Damn it! More light stuff. Just a decent post on when to consider going from CFL to HPS

Hello Scarfinger68 . . . :byebye:

I'M ON THE FIRST PAGE . . . :laugh: . . . . . . :reading420magazine: . . . . . . . :rofl:

SUBSCRIBED + REPS . . . . :passitleft:. . . FOR THE LIGHT DISCOURSE . . . :clap: . . . :laughtwo: . . . :rofl:

:Namaste:

hello sir , just wondering a few things. have you tried cloning the AI yet?
your box is awesome and i am certainly not an electrician but i wonder how much more work it might be to add glass buffers to the sides and place some outlets there as well,it is for temperature control right? hope all is well and take care

HAve your guests left yet? Not to be rude but WE WANT PICS ;)

I hear ya. Well, his Dr apt was changed to Friday 11/07/2013. So I will have guest probably through the weekend. I will be out of town Saturday... I will try to put some pics up Sunday or Monday at the latest. I am off work on Monday :)

My VEG plants are taking a beating. Underwatered a couple times in a row. Also got some light burn from touching the CFL's.

OK.. pics coming Sunday or Monday

hello sir , just wondering a few things. have you tried cloning the AI yet?
your box is awesome and i am certainly not an electrician but i wonder how much more work it might be to add glass buffers to the sides and place some outlets there as well,it is for temperature control right? hope all is well and take care

I think you are talking about this photo:
P1000245.JPG

There is about a 2 inch gap on 2 sides. I didn't seal it off because I wanted to promote circulation form the bottom of the box and out the top. I put outlets in the room the box sits in and use a power strip that sits on the edge of the box for extra outlets. The lights themselves are connected in parallel. 4 lights are wired together and then wired to a power cord and then plugged into the power strip. This is done on each side, so 2 sets of 4 lights.
P1000227.JPG

YES! I need to clone them. I just haven't been able to get to it.

Back
Top Bottom