Scrog Gone Bad

How hard is it to make two clones? Not hard at all. How hard is it to have two plants with same light levels? Not hard at all. But for some reason they never use identical clones, and/or the non-Defoliated ones gets put in the corner with less light. It's like they are trying to skew the answer they wanted in the first place. Do it for yourself and make them the same, then KNOW for yourself as I do.

ok thamks so much mate.ill start tmoz.do you think my buds will fatten up more thay seem small for 26 days in flower

Check my current journal and you will see what I mean. I put before and after when I defoliate. I think these guys assume I mean strip the plant completely.
This may not work for some people based off what ever factors they grow in, but it does for me.

And I'd put an aeroponic system up against any other form of growing when it comes to yield as well and I have yet to been shown a better method

In this case I see an over grown room with plants that are suffering from lack of light because of poor training, or no training. Removing their leaves doesn't seem like a solution to the problem. First I would train them into a flat canopy, cut out the shaded growth, get the existing lighting situation working as efficiently as possible, and give them a little time to recover from that.

It's not a general comment about defoliation vs non-defoliation. I just see some very obvious things on the to -do list that will help these plants and will increase yield, and I would do this stuff first- then consider experimenting with defoliation after that.

These look very very much like sativas to me. Sativas hate defoliation in my experience.

You have a lot of plant matter in there. Maybe try experimenting and doing an informal test on part of it, rather than defoliating the whole grow. You'll learn more about it if you have something there to compare to.

Personally if I was going to try major defoliation again I would only do it on a pure Indica strain, and only if/when they were in great health with any other obvious issues out of the way first.

Each grower will have his opnion. I am not one to believe that all sativas have this issue. Maybe certain genetics but I have don't this countless times. Again i respect everyone's opnion but for anyone that keeps asking for a grow journal. I have yet to see one that supports that this theory is incorrect.

If your cutting out the shaded growth you are in fact defoliating the plants.

Yeah I realize that cutting out the shaded growth can be called defoliation- but I think we are mainly talking here about the art of removing healthy fan leaves which are not shaded.
I'm not arguing against defoliation in general and I have an open mind about it actually. I'd be interested in seeing your comparison pictures- especially with sativas. It's just not what I see as one of the obvious first steps for improving this guy's grow.

I guess we're we differ is that I feel if a healthy fan leaf is shading a bud site or under growth in a situation like this, it's beneficial to remove it. I do this in every one of my grow and I take plenty of pictures in my journal. You can see the explosive growth of buds after i do this.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I guess I see what you mean- if the plants here in question had about twice as much wattage hanging above them. Are you growing crowded sativas that are struggling in under-lit conditions though? And if so, and you were a new grower, would you spend hours crawling through there removing fan leaves to defoliate, instead of simply training to flatten out the canopy a bit and then lowering the lights to optimize efficiency?
I see lots and lots of growing tips here which are not shaded at all - they just don't have enough light. If that canopy can be flattened a little then the existing lights can be lowered to get the most out of them.

Yeah it looks like a pain to scrog now. But it can be done- in a simple form. I lower screens on in flower all the time. I wouldn't try to scrog the entire room with one screen- just drop some sections of fencing or netting on the areas that could reasonably be expected to be covered under the lights- and machete out the rest so you can move around in there.

They do seem to be crying out for a little training of some sort, mainly for the sake of getting more light close to the majority of the buds. I suppose he could just leave them- would save a lot of work and he would still get a harvest even if quality was low.
I first ran into baylinner in the FAQ's where he was saying 'help!' so am going on the theory that that he thinks they need some.

Anyway...I think I've given my 2c here. And will leave it at that and unsub. Will check in and see how things are going at some point. Happy growing, guys. :high-five:

I guess we're we differ is that I feel if a healthy fan leaf is shading a bud site or under growth in a situation like this, it's beneficial to remove it. I do this in every one of my grow and I take plenty of pictures in my journal. You can see the explosive growth of buds after i do this.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You could also do anything else not related and see explosive growth. The plants are growing despite defoliation not because of it. You could also say that I always stir my nutrients counter clockwise and then see explosive growth after. Might be true, that the growth was explosive after but correlation does not imply causation. Growth would have bee even better with no defoliation.

LST is pretty much all you can do at this point. Bend those tops over and get your lights to feed your plants equally. You now know what you should have been doing during the 9 week veg period. I also vegged my first grow too long and made it to the lights. Yield was good but i wont let that happen again. Maybe Less plants and better control would highly improve your yields.

You could also do anything else not related and see explosive growth. The plants are growing despite defoliation not because of it. You could also say that I always stir my nutrients counter clockwise and then see explosive growth after. Might be true, that the growth was explosive after but correlation does not imply causation. Growth would have bee even better with no defoliation.

You have nothing to support that the growth is better with no defoliation. Your own words would apply in this very same argument.
At any given time i have 500 plants growing. I am 100% positive that this works. I have personally done it my self. I will do it again and document it for all the non-believers.

If you have a journal you want to share proving I'm wrong, ill gladly read it

Back
Top Bottom