Second Grow - Deep Water Culture, 400w, Black Jack and Friends

Thanks RM =)

Great questions H6251686.

The room is hotter than my first grow and I am keeping an eye on it.

Room temp is about 85 degrees. Res temp goes between 72-75. Humidity is between 46-51%. I expect the humidity to drop some. It's been raining forever here and we finally have some sun. As long as it doesn't start raining again I expect the humidity to drop. If it goes too low I will add a humidifier to the room. I will also be adding a fan later tonight.

I am hoping the room doesn't get too hot prior to flowering. If it does I may move to a 20/4 schedule. Then once I go to a 12/12 having the lights off 12 hours should help keep the heat regulated a bit.

Push comes to shove I have an outbuilding I can move the grow to - I just don't want to take that step until it's absolutely needed.

Thanks all!

Watr temps are in the danger zone. Maybe putting two boards under the tank to let air under it might help. Add 3 tablespoons of 3% peroxide per gallon of water might help prevent pythium due to the warm water, if you can not get it down cooler.

Good idea about light schedule.

Bad idea about moving grow to outbuilding, because of critters, and mites.

Thanks RM. As always, great advice.

I stopped and got some 35% H2O2. Diluted it -> 3ml to 4L and added 3 Tablespoons per gallon in the tank. Five gallons in each tank = 15 tablespoons per tank.

I also threw the tanks onto some 2x4s. I had thought about paint cans but wanted to keep the tanks close to the floor. It's a tall closest (over 7') and I am growing a stavia. I'd like to see how tall I can get the Kali Mist indoors.

While I was at it I drained and replenished the tank with the Black Jacks. I would have done it at 14 days but what the hell, I was already mucking around so I thought why not.

I moved the Kali Mist up to 1/2 strength nutes as well, up from 1/4. They were starting to get a bit yellow. Last grow I used dyna-grow nutes and I didn't have any yellowing. Maybe the botincare are a bit less concentrated and don't need to be as diluted? I'd rather slightly under feed than over feed so I am fine with things.

Mylar will go up Sunday. Tomorrow I am watching US v Ghana and plan on celebrating into the night. Then Sunday Sounders v Union!

Hope the H2O2 helps prevent. As Roseman said, you need to try and get those res temps down. 2x4's is a good step, add a small fan blowing under the res between the 2x4's might help some more.

Also a good idea Green.

The res temps dropped some but not much. I am trying to figure out how to get a fan blowing under the tanks.

Good news is the plants look great. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Update.

Room - 85-87, RH 35%-45%
Res temp: Still about 70-72 degrees.
Comments: Installed a fan and a humidifier. I am chilling my nutes after reading MostlyCrazy does this. Hopefully it will help with the res temps.

temp6.jpg

Look closely and you can see the 2x4s

closet_pic.jpg

Black Jack - day 13
PH: 5.9
Nutes: Still 1/2 strength Botincare Grow
Additives: H2O2, 3Tbs/G

Comments: Looks like I have some kind of algae growing in the Black Jack tank. The roots are browning. If anyone has suggests please let me know. The plants themselves look healthy. One plant markedly larger than the other. Both plants a amazingly compact, tight.

Black Jack roots:
black_jack_root.jpg

Plants:
Large;
large_black_jack.jpg

Small;
small_black_jack.jpg

Kali Mist - day 6
PH: 5.6
Nutes: 1/2 strength Botincare Grow
Additives: H2O2, 3Tbs/G

Comments: I am stunned how identical the plants are. True IBL strain. All 5 are identical. All five, the same height, the same root development. Just very VERY uniform. And almost already taller than the Black Jack. All roots are pure white. No issues in this tank.

Roots:
kali_mist_root2.jpg

kali_mist_root1.jpg

Plants - only one but like I said they're identical.
kali_mist11.jpg

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

I would recommend you pick some of that up if you can, calMag saved my last grow and has made this grow an absolute breeze.

SG

SG - Are you using it all the time, or just as needed?

As far as the brown in the roots, not sure what that is. I've seen roots discolor from Botanicare Nutes before, but it's not happening in the second res. Hmmmmm...maybe up the H2O2 treatment and see if that helps. Those high res temps make me suspect root rot.

Hopefully someone else will see this and offer better advise. :cool:

SG - Are you using it all the time, or just as needed?

As far as the brown in the roots, not sure what that is. I've seen roots discolor from Botanicare Nutes before, but it's not happening in the second res. Hmmmmm...maybe up the H2O2 treatment and see if that helps. Those high res temps make me suspect root rot.

Hopefully someone else will see this and offer better advise. :cool:

I use it often in small amounts, because I use tap water. Saw that he prob does the same based on the water's ppm, but as you pointed out green, being warm it might stem from the root rot. Just trying to help :grinjoint:

SG

I would recommend you pick some of that up if you can, calMag saved my last grow and has made this grow an absolute breeze.

SG

I use it often in small amounts, because I use tap water. Saw that he prob does the same based on the water's ppm, but as you pointed out green, being warm it might stem from the root rot. Just trying to help :grinjoint:

SG

I think you gave good advise. ;)

I was hoping someone else could tell if it was root rot yet. I'm not sure. But temps are high.
:smokin:

Thanks guys! I'm really grateful for the advice.

A question - how high can I safely go with the H2O2?

I mentioned I put up the mylar last night... well I came down to check the plants this morning and the temp was up from steady low-mid 80s to 106. Yeah, freakin' 106. I pooped myself a little.

I propped the door to the closet open and placed a large fan in the doorway to cool the space down asap. I am keeping the door open (very low risk for me, live alone with my wife and the closet is located in our furnace room, no foot traffic even when we have guests, all I have to do is close the door to the furnace room) with the fan blowing until I go to flower. The temps dropped back to the low 80s and the res temp dropped to 69.

The plants still look great. Though one Black Jack is still much smaller than the other. All the Kali Mists look like they were clones from the same mother plant, not from seed.

I'll post more pics in a few days.

Thanks guys! I'm really grateful for the advice.

A question - how high can I safely go with the H2O2?

I mentioned I put up the mylar last night... well I came down to check the plants this morning and the temp was up from steady low-mid 80s to 106. Yeah, freakin' 106. I pooped myself a little.

I propped the door to the closet open and placed a large fan in the doorway to cool the space down asap. I am keeping the door open (very low risk for me, live alone with my wife and the closet is located in our furnace room, no foot traffic even when we have guests, all I have to do is close the door to the furnace room) with the fan blowing until I go to flower. The temps dropped back to the low 80s and the res temp dropped to 69.

The plants still look great. Though one Black Jack is still much smaller than the other. All the Kali Mists look like they were clones from the same mother plant, not from seed.

I'll post more pics in a few days.

Glad you found a temp solution that works and is low risk man, what it's all about!

SG

Woot! Found another who is growing blackjack. Trust me its a nice strain and all the hassles are well worth it. They root differently than most of the other strains I deal with.

(Scrape) pulling up a chair :popcorn:

Heres a pix of blackjack flowering in my garden.
BJ12.JPG

CGs

Thanks Green!

The Black jack roots are still brown. The roots are growing but... the new roots have brown spots.

I got the res temps down. With the door open and the fan blowing the res temps are both in the 62-65 range. Whew...

I am staying with the H2O2 treatment until the brown clears up. If I see any issues with the leaves I will start trimming the brown roots.

Both tanks get a drain and replenish this weekend.

Now for an update.

Black Jack - 2.5 weeks.
Room temp: 84
Res temp: 65
Nutes: 1/2 strength Botincare Pro Grow
Additives: Cal/Mag, H2O2

(Picture of brown roots was too large and I am in a hurry so I am not going to resize it)

Small black jack plant:
black_jack_small.jpg

Large black jack plant:
black_jack_large.jpg

Kali Mist - 1.5 weeks
Room temp: 84
Res temp: 65
Nutes: 1/2 strength Botincare Pro Grow
Additives: Cal/Mag, H2O2

They look like twins:

kali_mist12.jpg