Growgirl999

I have them under florescent lights, started them in plugs in a dome. Within about 5 days they seemed to outgrow the dome. I realized I didn't have enough light on them so they got too tall. I didn't get the correct soil, I put them in just plain topsoil. It's now been 5 days since I moved them, got the correct lights on them but they aren't growing at all. They aren't dying but they are so tall I have to prop them up. I bought the correct soil now, bit should I move them again so give them the correct soil medium or would that be too damaging? One of them seems to have its roots exposed on the top, I'm wondering if this is because the roots can't get down into the topsoil? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

It definitely sounds like they did not get enough light early on. I can't really comment too much though without a few pictures of your setup.

I've had seeds stretch too much before, and have propped them up until they can get on their feet and they turned out fine. I grow mine to about 3' though so a bit of stretching early on isn't that big of a deal.

I'm just worried it's been 5 days and I've seen no improvements to them. You think it's best to leave them alone rather than move to a new pot with the Happy Frogs soil? I would post pics but I'm not sure how, Im new to this. Thanks for your help.

Please see the Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos to learn how to upload photos to our gallery.

About the seedlings, you want to make sure they're getting fresh air, not overwatered (e.g., not muddy soil), also you want to make sure the lights are only a few inches away, excessive seedlings stretching is basically due to the lights being too far away.

If transplanting can be done without causing damage to the taproot, it might be worth considering.

If they are still alive and happy, I would suggest leaving them for now. It sounds like you have just over a week into them? I would be concerned with disturbing the roots too much at this point.

With the florescent light, you should be able to keep them pretty close. This will stop the stretch and give them time to get some strength. As long as they still look happy and healthy, don't stress too much about their height. I use 12" bamboo skewers (the kind for Shish-ka-Bobs) and have had plants all the way to the top before (not the way to do it, but you make the best of the situation sometimes). They sat like that for a few weeks before the roots really expanded to fill the Solo Cups that I use.

If you can though, I'd cover any roots that are exposed to light and air. They will be needed to keep the plant happy, and if exposed will more than likely die.

Here is a link to the article on how to upload and post pictures. It will really help to see what's going on in your garden.

Photo Gallery Guide

Replant them into some potting soil. Top soil is not a good option for container gardening.

I'll post pics when the lights come on in a few hours. BTW, my first 2 grows, I kept them under 24 till they went under the HPS lights, this is the first time I've done 18/6 with the young ones. What do you normally do?

I'd transplant into potting soil and bury the stems so they aren't spindly. Add a fan along with the added light to help with both growth and stem strength.

Don't expect much growth from any plant immediately after any transplant. It takes a while for the roots to hook up with the new medium and then the plant works first on adding roots to the new area.

I'm worried about disrupting the roots. I'm going to post pics when the lights come on so you can really see what's going on. Maybe I'm being overprotective over my girls!

I use 18/6 instead of 24/0 saves my electric bill mostly and I get good growth so not really fussed about trying 24/0. As for the no growth after the first transplant id say its a little bit of shock but will get going again soon. Lights sound like the need to be lower, ive had cfl's within an inch of the plant. Id wait a week or 2 personally before transplanting again

I did the transplant, had half the replies say yes and half no, so I went with my instinctints on it. I couldn't be happier with the results so far. I've already seen a change in their reaction to the new soil and I got them closer to the lights. I'll keep everyone updated, but so far, so good! Thanks for all the feedback.

I did the transplant, had half the replies say yes and half no, so I went with my instinctints on it. I couldn't be happier with the results so far. I've already seen a change in their reaction to the new soil and I got them closer to the lights. I'll keep everyone updated, but so far, so good! Thanks for all the feedback.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom