Seedy Suggestions!

Drumsbreathe

Hello,

I am hoping to get started on my first grow, and learn in the process. I had initially figured I'd learn as much as I could and save my money for a few months before starting, but all this research has got me too excited about the idea. I'm hoping to do this first one on the cheap, and to further invest in my setup as my budget permits.

That said, I'm planning on starting with two strains, likely started under cfl's and hopefully vegged and flowered with something better. Likely grown in soil. And likely screwed up somehow :morenutes:

I NEED SUGGESTIONS. 2 types of seeds, that may be most worthwhile to get me hooked on the idea of growing! I need to know how many you think I should buy, what type (feminized or not) and what strain in order to hopefully end up flowering two different plants.

I guess it should be mentioned that I would like to grow them at the same time. Any and all suggestions, seed related or not are appreciated!

Re: Seedy Suggestions!!!

Sorry there has been no play on your post. The first question is what do you want to use cannabis for? medical condition? fight addiction?relaxation?

No worries. Big forum, little post. Any answer I'm looking for is likely already here somewhere...it's just a matter of finding it!

To answer your question...relaxtion! Although I enjoy the process of getting high almost as much as the high itself, I am still hoping to grow some potent bud ;-)

Using a small cabinet (2x2x4 approx) within a larger closet (2x10x11), I hope to eventually grow my own supply (currently 2oz/mnth, trying to cut down) and perhaps enough to share a little as well! In a perfect world the bud would be better than is currently readily available and would cost me less in upkeep than it would to purchase from someone else! (bud is relatively cheap in these parts from what I understand :)

I know that startup cost is unavoidable, but so is the fact that I'm broke! So the seeds I bought may have to chill for while while I get the basics together, but I'll be keeping an eye open.

Something I really trying to figure out is lighting. I can't decide wether I should go with something I can have easier access to, like leko bulbls...
Watts: 750w
Volts: 115VX (extended life)
Color Temp: 3050K
Avg. Life: 1000 hrs
Ansi Code: HPL-750W 115VX
Lumens: 16,400
Bulb Type: T6
Base: Heat Sink
Max. Overall Length: 4.094"

or if I should spend the 180$ to get a 400w MH/HPS cooltube setup? Would the yield be worth the cost?

Would my room handle the heat?

I have seen 6" inline fans for 30$. I could use one to vent the light and another for the rest of the box, but they box would only vent into the closet and would be restricted by filters on both. Think the size box I have planned would be too hot? I think the fans are 240cfm

I appreciate the help!

To answer your question...relaxtion!

Something I really trying to figure out is lighting.

I would look at indica strains for relaxation. As 420 wrote "Please try our Sponsors"

As far as light goes I would suggest looking at LED ... but while you are saving up you could veg your plants with cheap CFL's and be all ready to go when you get a big light

I would look at indica strains for relaxation. As 420 wrote "Please try our Sponsors"

As far as light goes I would suggest looking at LED ... but while you are saving up you could veg your plants with cheap CFL's and be all ready to go when you get a big light

Interesting suggestion. I have used 40 watt daylight CFLs (480 watts in a 2'x6'x8' space) in the past and this morning I'm waiting for FedEx to deliver my new Advanced LED DS100 .... which by the way would be perfect for your space. I can't wait to see the effect of the better light. I should have gone LED from the start (less electric costs too). It was not cheap, $300, but I have about $200 in my light system and that same $200 would have helped pay for the LED and I'd have had better yields and cooler temperatures from the start. I buy my seeds from Nirvana. Let me suggest a first grow of their feminized Northern Lights either photo sensitive or autoflowering. A succesful grow will beat just about any bagweed you can find on the street and pay for your light in yield vs. price of buying weed on the street. There is a journal recently finished using NL and CFL (in the last couple weeks he upgraded light) that was just about the same size space as you have.

Anybody not happy with these results would be pretty darned hard to please ...

NLnovice's Northern Lights - Soil - CFL - Cabinet Grow 2012
:bongrip:

Interesting suggestion. I have used 40 watt daylight CFLs (480 watts in a 2'x6'x8' space) in the past and this morning I'm waiting for FedEx to deliver my new Advanced LED DS100 .... which by the way would be perfect for your space. I can't wait to see the effect of the better light. I should have gone LED from the start (less electric costs too). It was not cheap, $300, but I have about $200 in my light system and that same $200 would have helped pay for the LED and I'd have had better yields and cooler temperatures from the start. I buy my seeds from Nirvana. Let me suggest a first grow of their feminized Northern Lights either photo sensitive or autoflowering. A succesful grow will beat just about any bagweed you can find on the street and pay for your light in yield vs. price of buying weed on the street. There is a journal recently finished using NL and CFL (in the last couple weeks he upgraded light) that was just about the same size space as you have.

Anybody not happy with these results would be pretty darned hard to please ...

NLnovice's Northern Lights - Soil - CFL - Cabinet Grow 2012
:bongrip:

That is a nice grow he's got going! My germed seeds were put in soil 3 weeks ago. I will try and post a journal shortly. Thanks for all the help!!

i would recomend a grow tent they are hard to beat its a ready made room with all the holes,refelectivity coated, light proof and easy to move if need be, ak is a good starter -expert strain for yeild nothing beats hps except the sun, i dont have an opinion about led it sounds nice but i have read that there are problems with yield that the buds can be fluffy, unless you get one in the 2000-5000$ range im going to wait till the price is comparable to hps i know hps works and a 120$ 400 watt hps system can be had in many places online, that allows alot more $ for all the other gear, but thats just my opinion,
i would say the best nutes are blue planet nutrients for price and quality ,customer service they cant be beat
they are a sponsor here, another sponsor i highly recommend is jd lightings i have 2 of their 600watt ballasts they are defiantly a premium quality digital dimmable type and have a 110% setting to really push the plants very good tech
you might want to look into growing in coco,it is simple,reusable,cheap, and best of all hydro speed growth! i use it heavily even in my soil mixes, great stuff! medium is the best grade, but fine is good to with some pearlite added, hope this helps and dont hesitate to come check out my journal and ask all the questions you like!

ive never had any coimplaints from any seed I've gotten from barney's farm. personally don't like dinafem. DNA genetics have some great stuff but hit and miss. humbolt seeds are also a good bet along with dutch passion. id veg under something else, even a 250W MH will give you much faster growth. cutting down the cycle time.

and I would also recommend a coco perlite mix as a substrate. coco is forgiving as it stops alt burn and perlite holds a fuck tonne of air. I personally run 70 perlite 30 coco.

HPS lighting is great, but the spectrum , lifetime, radio frequency interference, heat is far outmatched by CMH if you got HID. do not buy coooltubes. you have an energy loss of something stupid like 30% simply from the second piece of glass. just get a reflector with an attachment for a tube. and use that as your vent. i would high recommend a 400W switching ballast that allow you to go from MH to HPS

LED's lot of people don't seem to realize, unless you intend to run co2 and can afford to spend up to like 6-7000K for 4 lights, forget about it, I looked into it and it would've cost me 6700 euros for 4 acceptable LED's which I couldn't use to full effect cos I cant run co2. i use them to fill in gaps but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom