SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

I've been away from 420 for a few days, and don't really have time to catch up on all my reading, but I thought I'd post my own DIY build here; it was several weeks in the making...Waiting for some parts to arrive and looking for some deals and stuff.

I went with the CLU048-1212 chips at 4000k, because I found a source on EBay for $10 a pop. I picked up a bunch of the Ideal solderless ChipLok COB holders as well as a couple of Meanwell drivers and some cheap CPU heat sink/fan combos.

The intent was to run the 6 in the front/back from the 320W driver (HLG-C320H-C1400B), pushing the COB's at 1.4A and around 50W, and then turn on the middle bank (powered by a HLG-120H-C1400B) during flowering. Each of the rows are discrete units which can be removed and reconnected (with some plug in attachments) so tthey can be reconfigured somewhat.

The drivers are outside of the tent and connected by a 10' 18AWG set of wires.With everything running, the heat actually still climbs up pretty high (high 70's) and it's not even the hot season yet, so they're all backed down to around 45W right now. If I have to keep it like this, I may consider just picking up a HLG-320H-C1050B driver and run them all from 1 driver instead of 2, swapping the middle bank out for one with 2 LED's, and run 8x40W or something like that; I'll see how things go.

It is damn bright; way brighter than my 600W HPS, but that may also appear that way because it's a whiter light as well. I do know that there is way more light down at the bottom of the tent so there must be quite a bit more light overall. Please excuse the tangle of wires; I'm still sorting that issue out, but I wanted to replace that HPS right away and start saving some electricity. :)

I used a screw in connector on the dimming leads:

I'm not exactly sure how I want to house the drivers and stuff, but this was a temporary fix that let me attach a pot without soldering to the driver itself. If I want to mount the pot somewhere, I can always just attach some longer wires or make an extension cable with a couple more screw in connectors. I really think maybe the way to go with the pots is to use a 50k resistor and a 50k linear pot...It seems to shut off completely when the resistance is still pretty high.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out; I may consider swapping out a couple of the middle bank COB's for a 2700K or 3000K to vary up the spectrum a bit, but the 4000k seems to be pretty good all around.

Get a box of wagos, makes it easy to unhook, I'm putting together 8 cob to go along with hps to finish flowering, then take hps out completely. This frame is 18 in by 48in, I'm thinking it would be perfect for 2x4, 500w. Just ordered apogee mq500, that way I'll know what I'm working with

Sent from my SM-G900V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Forgot pic
420-magazine-mobile398264059.jpg

For comparison in the US.
Building 2 four cob arrays using Vero 29SE and 140mm sinks and reflectors. Meanwell HLG-320H-C2100B dimable driver for each array lets me push 300-320 watt/array. Total cost was just under $700 US

For comparison in the US.
Building 2 four cob arrays using Vero 29SE and 140mm sinks and reflectors. Meanwell HLG-320H-C2100B dimable driver for each array lets me push 300-320 watt/array. Total cost was just under $700 US
How do the Vero 29 and Vero 29SE differ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Some mystery pics of a 48W (14x460nm blue, 4x10000K white, 2,6W/LED, 52W with Fan) veg test unit i built today.

2 buck heatsink
5 buck 12mm fan
10 bucks for new epistar 5w diodes on starboards
free phone wire
old driver from a mars 700.

Average of 44 on the Diodes, 28C on the sink. Want to test it for one square foot plant. Tomorrow i will mount the fan on top of the sink pulling air upwards and introduce it to the plant. Pretty bright for a small 6x4inch panel :)

420-magazine-mobile1578374469.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1910746787.jpg

Current Grow SeymoreNuggets Flowering Journal - Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2x3 - 420W DIY COB

My journey seeking the light. Found some

How do you hang your fixtures? Hooks at the corners?
I just built the frame (aluminium 1"x1" angles) and it does bend a bit, I hope it will bear the weight.

How do you hang your fixtures? Hooks at the corners?
I just built the frame (aluminium 1"x1" angles) and it does bend a bit, I hope it will bear the weight.
I put hangers from my old mars 2 in the corners and it bends a bit because of the weight. But i connected the aluminum frame with durable plastic angles i hammered 2 inch deep into each aluminum parts from the same manufacturer, no way it is going to break loose. I actual like it the way it hangs a bit towards the center so the veros spread points more left and right.

There are pictures of the parts i used somewhere in this thread :)

420-magazine-mobile1196163931.jpg

Current Grow SeymoreNuggets Flowering Journal - Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2x3 - 420W DIY COB

Each of my arrays are built on a 44" x 5" frame using .75" aluminum angle and flat stock. I just made a simple loop made of stainless cable that is run through single holes drilled into the side of each channel. The cable is joined together with a simple crimp connector. My array has 4 cob's spaced along the channel and I used the middle point between each of the outer cob and it's adjacent partner. That seems to keep any flexing to a minimum-important when using lightweight materials. You do have to adjust-rotate the cable mount to level the light but that stays put-simple is best.

Sorry a may be not present in here because i have a lot of work in the next 7 days and my plants are best up too. So i will focus on other things in the next weeks until i get my second tent running and build some lights again.

Looking for some a single seed2bud COB i can drive between 40 and 60W @700mA.

Any ideas?

Next time pick square 20 or 25mm anodised aluminum frames with some 90° and T-connectors fitting inside the frames. Imo thats very sweet and have that high value looks if done right... Not like mine :)

If i went passive or chose thinner wires for my fans all wires for my 8 Cobs would have found place inside the 20mm frame. Next time i will know better.

With the L frame place the cables on the light side, you cant see them because its so fucking bright under there lol. At least when you hang them lower like me. If yours is overhead use some of the free holes in the sinks and put them on top.

Another thing i will never do again is placing drivers inside the tent. Much better now. But like said i am under 1m3. Minus big ass filter, pots and all thst stuff maybe only 0,6m3 of air in there.

420-magazine-mobile1013600372.jpg
420-magazine-mobile879794966.jpg

Some materials for my fixture. Still waiting for 4 more chips and the 730nm diodes and some thin heatsinks. The half of the heatsink will cool one cob, the L profile will hold the Infrared Diodes umderneath, a thin stripe of heatsink will be mounted on top for a passive cooling. Hopefully its ready to use mid january.

Dont expect everyone to read this whole thread, so here is some of the stuff i used. Sinks and hangers were recycled from Mars 2

This is temporary, in 6 weeks, everything will be mounted on wall, drivers, dimmers. I just ordered 1in 8020 square aluminum . I didn't know it was about same price as angle. I fly back home tomorrow, be able to hang it up. Hope everything is still alive, been having problems with ff and ph, the nutes aren't very ph stable, mix and adjust ph, 3 days later ph went from 6.7 to 5.5. I never had problem before, but was home a lot more

Back
Top Bottom