Should I start my grow from clones or seeds?

look i started growing for the first time about 4 days ago and the choice was so easy to make, pick the seeds. its been only a couple of days but already it is showing good proguess just make sure you germanate it good and you'll do fine

Does this mean i cant plant my feminized seeds and flower them? i have to clone them?

You can plant your feminized seeds and flower them.

You can also take clones from one of the plants that grow from those seeds and flower them, while keeping the original plants as mothers. Or you can take clones and use the clones for mothers. Or you could take clones and flower both sets. It's up to you.

As long as the seeds are not the auto-flowering type. Those you do not clone. But regular strains (be the seeds feminized or standard) you can take cuttings (clones) off of. Or not, it's up to you.

Taking clones allows you the option of keeping them (or the originals) in vegetative while you flower the other set, which would let you decide whether or not one of the plants was potent enough, tasty enough, productive enough, etc. to keep and use to produce many more plants off of later. But there is certainly nothing requiring you to do so. Some people for whatever reason have never taken clones, other people only grow from seed when they are getting a new strain.

TSoul I have ak47/Rudy mix auto on order from Rhino Seeds.
Must I seed one out to keep going with this strain?

You cannot keep an auto-flowering plant going by creating a mother-plant and continually taking clones from it like you can with a traditional sativa, indica, or chinensis variety as the "mother" will be flowering. The cuttings that you took from it would probably root, but they would almost certainly already be in flower at that time - and the energy that the plant diverted from the flowering process in order to grow the root structure that it needed to survive would take such a relatively large amount away from the total that the plant had that you'd end up with a small, spindly plant with little or no usable bud - and also a mother plant that had had pieces removed from it (to make the prospective clones) and of course some stress from your doing so, which would cause it to end up small and spindly with little usable bud.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This is one of the chief reasons why many do not use auto-flowering strains.

There is hope, though. You can hand-pollinate an individual bud or two on the plant. You can use a silver thiosulfate solution (STS) to cause a female plant to grow male flowers and then "self" it (use its pollen to pollinate its female flowers) and in doing so create a number of seeds that way. Or you can always grow a male plant of the same or different strain in the same room and let nature take its course. But nature has a way of creating LOTS of seeds, lol.

Here is a link to one thread on using STS to reverse sex (there are several other threads/posts on the subject):
How to Reverse Sex by Using Silver Thiosulfate Solution

I use seed because I have a specific method of training (tutorial coming) where it is mandatory to top at the 4th or 5th node to get the plant growing horizontally for a scrog.

I also run perpetual and need to be sure I have females so I use femmed seeds. Of course, pre-sexing is obviously more successful from clone, but so far I've never gotten a single male in a fem pack of seeds, knock on wood.

I use seed because I have a specific method of training (tutorial coming) where it is mandatory to top at the 4th or 5th node to get the plant growing horizontally for a scrog.

I also run perpetual and need to be sure I have females so I use femmed seeds. Of course, pre-sexing is obviously more successful from clone, but so far I've never gotten a single male in a fem pack of seeds, knock on wood.

Hello,
ok I have never grown indoor or been around home growers so I don't know the nomenclature of the cannabis culture; therefore I have some questions. Here goes, what is scrog? What is running perpetual? What is and how do you pre-sex? What is a node? Do you get your seeds from one of the sponsors; if not who do you use and do they mail to the U.S.?

Thank you:thanks:
:rollit:

Scrog is when you use a screen and train your plant to grow horizontally under it, allowing jut the bud sites to come through. What you are doing essentially is dividing that main cola up into smaller ones and also bringing the small undergrowth up top to the canopy to grow into something significant. The result is a screen full of bud. (Tutorial is in the making....)

Copy_of_DSCF3987.JPG

Perpetual means you constantly have plants in all stages. I have 3 closet areas. 2 for flowering and 1 for vegging. I veg the plants in the veg closet and then move them to a flower closet. In 4 weeks (because they are on an 8 week flowering schedule) I plant 4 new ones in the veg room,harvest 4 finished ones, and move the previously vegged ones into the ew open spot i the flowering room.. I do this every 4 weeks so every 4 weeks, I harvest 4 plants (each growing area fits 4 plants.)

Pre-sexing means you know the sex of the plant ahead of time, by either using feminized seeds (not a guarantee) or by taking clones from a female plant (guaranteed)

A node is a level of growth. You'll notice as the plant grows, the leaves come out in sets. Each set marks a node.

Folks use lots of different seedbanks. Many ship to the US, it's personal preference.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions, keep 'em coming ;)

My seeds came in and all were female. However I froze all but 2 put them out a little early May 10.
The two rudy's that made it were crossed with D-Ryder for more seeds.:lot-o-toke:

there's tons of how to videos for how to grow clones an, do a forum search - good luck!!!

~7T :lot-o-toke:

Personally, for me it depends on how much time I have to complete the grow. I always prefer to use seed when possible, I don't have to worry about getting someone elses diseases in my house.
I also believe that seed stock is stronger/heartier than clones... just my preference once again!

Back
Top Bottom