Smoking Plants that have been treated with Colloidal Silver

Yes, yes. I learned early on that if you put youself in a situation to take a position, you better have some sources to cite or some references to offer. Otherwise you are just perpetuating “informed ignorance”, especially in this day and age of headline readers. People feel like experts in a topic they read a headline on. Fascinating. I am fed up too, brother. (Or sister...).

The OP asked (and I summarize), if CS treated pot safe to consume by smoking or eating. This could be a good forum to gather such anecdotal evidence, or perhape the OP is looking for scientific data to back any claim up. If we want to help each other, let’s help by stating if we have sources that back up our thoughts, or if it’s purely anecdotal, state that. I personally would leave the emotions out of replies when it’s clear others have taken time to provide something the OP asked for. The stakes are simply too high.

And that’s my 10 cents.
:Namaste:
Yeah but all you've really done is posted a link to an article that shows silver has some adverse health effects. The paper goes on to talk about occupational exposure limits. In both cases is the paper that relevant to what we're doing here? If it is, do you posses the expertise to point out how? No, I don't think you could, so you conceded to the, "Better safe than sorry," position, which in the end is more or less an opinion based upon lack of information if you cannot show how the information in the article relates to what we're discussing. Specifically, how does 0.1 mg/m3 occupational health limit compare to levels that we may encounter smoking CS contaminated weed? Without the ability to make actual estimates based on that information, we're just polishing up opinions as if they were facts.

Cobbling up research written by experts doesn't actually lend you that expertise if you lack the authority to interpret that information. Unless we have Ph. D or M.D. in front of our names, then that article doesn't actually provide much useful information other than what was already known about the possibility of adverse health effects from sliver; it does nothing to make us more aware of whether those health effects are likely. It doesn't tell us how much silver a person much come into contact with to bring on any of the possible adverse health effects. What it does do is tell us what those possible health effects are, and allow us to determine for ourselves whether the severity of those risks is greater than, less than or equal to the risks of going untreated.

Oh and we can cast all sorts of dispersion about how bad a grower someone must be, how irresponsible they are for not planning ahead, and make all sorts of character judgments, but that doesn't change the fact that if they need medicine, CS contaminated weed could medicate them without presenting a large risk for adverse health reaction. If you have such a huge problem with me saying so Bonsaiweed, sue me. My PTSD experience hasn't led me to making wide-sweeping generalizations about peoples character when they don't agree with me, so I don't assume everyone is crossing their Ts and dotting their Is, and is going to have everything perfectly situated in order to avoid such a conundrum. I mean my god, imagine a sick person not having all their shit together... Unheard of. I'm sorry, but if your feelings about this are so strong you can't even imagine a scenario where someone would earnestly need that weed, then your imagination is clouded by your feelings.

I'll remind you I haven't missed a step in pointing out when my experience is anecdotal, but what I think people are fooling themselves with, is the idea that they can go and pull up a white-paper that's talking about sciences and principles they have no expertise in, and then assume they can interpret that information, and offer an opinion on it with expertise. It doesn't work that way, and so to suggest an opinion drawn from that article by any one of us (including myself) is somehow more valid than anecdotal evidence, can't actually be supported unless one of us has enough expertise in this field to show 1). A correlation between a certain level of exposure and an adverse health effect and 2). What those occupational exposure limits translate into in terms of smoking weed sprayed with CS. It's also worth mentioning, that the article states there seems to be no correlation between a certain level of exposure and people developing these conditions, so in effect it already states that even if we found 2. it wouldn't help us since 1. is indeterminate.

Also, I really can't help but point out the irony that we're all smoking a substance whose safety itself is highly controversial. When did you guys start smoking cannabis? Did you go and research it to death and find your white-papers saying it was totally innocuous and harmless? Well, I have very sincere doubts you did, as I could find white-paper after white-paper to talk about it being a carcinogen, to talk about the hundreds of toxic compounds in the smoke, and so on and so forth. Yet people smoked it, and they didn't die, and they got more benefit from it than harm and through anecdotal evidence other people came to trust it, and smoke it as well. So frankly, you can't sit there and tell me with a straight face you've never used or consumed a substance without verifying through some scientific research that it's 100% harmless, because if you had you wouldn't be smoking cannabis.

Anecdotal evidence pioneers the way for scientific research. In my opinion, the onus for proof of CS's dangers and safety concerns is on the people making the claims that it's unsafe. Otherwise, they should stick with, "It's better not to take the risk," rather than coming from a place of false authority and simply declaring it unsafe. As far as sharing my anecdotal experience, the OP asked about it, i shared it. I'm not offering it up unsolicited, going around telling people, "Smoke all the CS sprayed weed you want!" but I'm not going to sit here and act like Chicken Little with his head cut off because I think the sky is falling.

I really don't care for the attitude that has overcome this discussion. I think it's unfortunate your imagination is so rigid, Bonsaiweed, that you think the only way someone would go against your grand wisdom, would be the result of some negative character defect. "I'm quite tired of people stating things that they have no evidence to support their viewpoint." I don't know why you think that shouldn't apply to people making claims that CS, and smoking CS contaminated weed. I don't care if you're only concerned about what people have said here, I'm tired of seeing that claim made all over the internet, and I find it so ironic that WillGrow510 talks about people just taking evidence for granted like they're reading headline news, because that is exactly what the people repeating those claims are doing. Frankly, there's a lot of the pot calling the kettle black going on, sprinkled in with a lot of self-righteous, egotistical talk about ignorance and idiocy.

I'm out.

Science is a good thing. Interpretation of the science can create some confusion. Anyone who is looking for a trusted source to break it down into lay terms may be met with frustration. This is a passionate topic and my experience shows there are many people who have developed their own opinions based on their own experiences. That’s cool. If anyone out there needs to toke silver due to their medical needs because they feel the benefits outweigh the risks, so be it. That’s your personal decision. But if you want to share your CS sprayed buds with me, you better inform me in advance that it’s been sprayed.

And in the spirit of the original post, I offer an additional source i have used that helped me make the determination NOT to inhale CS treated plants.

Effects of inhaled silver particles

Here is a small excerpt but it continues on from this point. I highly advise anyone trying to make an informed decision to do their own research. You may come to a different determination than me. And thats okay.

One quick, easy way to find research papers is to use “google scholar”. For those that dont know, it works like google search, but what you type in will provide results to scholarly, peer reviewed research papers. Some you have to pay to review, some are free.

:Namaste::peace::Namaste::peace::Namaste::peace::Namaste::peace::Namaste::peace::Namaste::peace::Namaste::peace:

...Really hard to believe that anyone could have such a silvery lifestyle that they actually turned blue. I've been subjected to over a decade of silver dust storms and I'm still poor and white. Though I always did have a thing for Smurfette. Would she go for me ...?

Not to mention that girl from Avatar ❤

Well I know Colloidal Silver has its healing properties and you can consume colloidal silver, but not so sure after it has bonded with copper. That said, if its not systemic or mobile then the consumption "should" be ok on the untreated parts of the plant.
I haven't tried laying in a morgue and I'm hoping not to anytime soon, I think I will wait until my clones are ready for treatment rather than using the plants I flipped last night in my flowering cupboard. I will use whole smaller plants that can be sprayed outside the flowering cupboard isolating them from the others and not worry about consumption etc.
Without solid info i'm guessing it ain't worth it.

It would be good to hear from someone that has though :)

Cheers Juz420
I wanna see your cupboard! Sounds sweet! I just kicked out a roommate, got a lil cupboard space! Lol. Yeah I wish someone that has used the colloidal silver will chime in. They will be round. I’m thinking don’t smoke. Maybe you can make some bubble with it. Cross you fingers bro!

I don't mean this to be snooty, self-righteous or anything... But if your access to weed is so plentiful that you can just sacrifice your angel's share like spilling some of your 40 out, that's awesome, and I support your endeavor to keep your supply of medicine as clean as possible. BUT a lot of people do not have that luxury, and can not just so easily sacrifice even a small amount of medicine, and I believe that over-exaggerating the dangers associated with this method is only doing a disservice to these people who need to retain as much as possible of what they grow.

I'm not insinuating you've done anything of the sort, but when someone (again not you) comes around and starts fear mongering how deadly CS is, and some patient is sitting there trying to make an educated and informed decision on whether or not they want to risk it, then I personally believe it does more harm to have people sacrificing crucial medicine out of an over-inflated sense of danger, than it would for them to be inhaling minute amounts of silver fumes. It's not to say that the incidental consumption of silver contaminate is a good thing, but I believe it's a very small necessary evil in the grand scheme of things if a person needs their medicine. I mean, to be perfectly blunt, I think there are a lot worse things people are putting into their cannabis to merit the kind of reaction I see to CS.

One way to put it into perspective... .At 240 ppm an 8 oz bottle of CS would have (236ml * .24 = ) 56.64 mg of silver in the entire bottle. That's really not a large amount when you compare the figures stated in the occupational hazard case studies, where some atmospheric concentrations were as high as 1.03–1.36 mg/m3, and these men were standing in that area for hours working. Imagine someone managed to absorb an entire 50 mg quantity of silver into just 10 grams of flower (ignoring the fact that they'd never see a female flower if they put that much CS into that small amount of plant matter), and smoked it all in a couple massive blunts. They probably wouldn't even have come close to inhaling the same amount of silver those men would in their average workweek. Those guys probably go home and pick 50 mg of silver out of their bugers.

Ultimately I think this is one of those things that should be an informed personal decision, but I think there's been a pretty woeful lack of actual information on most of the sites I've read about it, so kudos for digging up that article. I think we may have different takes on the same information, but still it's good to have actual documentation to look at.

I wonder how various extract methods effect it. Is silver soluble in butane? I imagine ice/bubble hash would reduce the overall amount without increase concentration as well.
incidental consumption of silver contaminate is a good thing, but I believe it's a very small necessary evil in the grand scheme of things if a person needs their medicine. I mean, to be perfectly blunt, I think there are a lot worse things people are putting into their cannabis to merit the kind of reaction I see to CS. Your words.
Is it incidentally consumed, why? I throw a lot of smokeable bud out, been dealing with pm. And that stuff is a bitch outside. You can wash most of it off, but some is still there. Grand scheme of things. Don’t risk it, not worth it now days! Let’s hope someone who gets to work with fancy equipment Swings by and tells us the silver particles stay in plant material so bubble hash will be good to go!

I think I figured it out! Do you use the silver to make a bunch of feminized beans. Do be patient, don’t poison yourself or friends., and wait to grow your fems. I’m sure when you spray, you don’t spray all your plants, so just keep track. I am just starting my breeding journey. Every bean that I made was on accident so far. Lol. But rn I have something really special that I want to share and pass around, the purple moby dick! I found a candle that smells like it! Macintosh apple! I smoked a sample nug last night, dried for like 4 days. Was delicious, still had a lil fresh to it, but real nice relaxing high after first bong rip. Then 2nd 3rd put me in the couch! Woke up at like 5 am on the couch, I look over and my dude slept holding the bong in his lap! Ha ha!

Hi Guys,
A couple of questions,
If I where to treat only a branch of a female plant with colloidal silver, is it safe to smoke the rest of the plant?
As I understand it, when a plant is treated with colloidal silver, the silver particles bond with copper particles causing stress thus producing female pollen sacs. Is this just local to where the colloidal silver sprayed or is the colloidal silver systemic rendering the whole plant not safe to smoke?
Also would it be safe to make consumables from the treated plant it i.e. oil or butter?

cheers me mateys :)
Usually and normally it is unsafe to ingest a sprayed plant with that stuff but as long as the mist dose not have any contact with the soil and any other plant matter and it is only sprayed on a particular branch you are good to go ! Y Yahn Master Grower

I know this is an old thread... but I'll put in my 2 cents worth anyway for someone else who stumbles on this thread in the future. My post won't really clear anything up, but its additional info.

Most online health websites, as well as NIH, state that based on what little research that has been done regarding colloidal silver that "internal use of colloidal silver is potentially harmful", it is considered safe by most if used externally. However, if one was to look at the studies, they would find that there have been no studies done on humans, they are all done on lab animals... mostly mice or rats. As seems to be the case with many studies done on lab rats or mice to determine toxicity levels for just about anything, generally very large doses of a substance are given. There has been research into the effects on humans based mostly on occupational exposure, but smoking some weed that might have trace amounts of colloidal silver ain't the same thing.

What I have gathered from all of the articles that I have read on health related websites, and the NIH article, is that large doses of silver, whether it be colloidal form or not, can potentially cause serious side effects. Most of the articles that I have read do not provide an amount that is considered to be a "large dose". What does seem to be a common thread among all of these articles is that the "large dose" they are referring to seems to be from long term use. Essentially, these articles are warning people to be careful when ingesting colloidal silver to treat medical issues. They don't want you to be taking it on a regular basis over a long period of time due to the potential for adverse side effects.

However, the most common side-effect seems to be what is referred to as argyria or argyosis, which is blue or gray pigmentation of the skin, eyes or nails. This condition itself is not considered life threatening but is usually permanent, so I guess walking around looking like you belong on the Blue Man Group would be the result. I personally have never seen any blue argyria sufferers anywhere in my life... so my assumption is this condition is pretty rare.

The one review that was done of many other studies that I came across, that seems to make the most sense of what can happen to you if you ingest soluble silver, is this Exposure-Related Health Effects of Silver and Silver Compounds: A Review. Lots of interesting information that will provide a bit more evidence of potential side effects of silver ingestion.

I'll add that in another forum where I came across a similar thread, a representative from Tiresia's Mist chimed in, and stated that although they wouldn't reveal exactly what was in their product, that you could drink it and nothing would happen to you, and therefore smoking unsprayed portions of your plant would be fine. You can decide if you want to trust that rep's advice or not.

I'll also add something from personal experience. My wife and I occasionally spray colloidal silver into our nose and throats when we know we've been exposed to people who had a cold or flu. We do this on the advice of our son's pediatrician, who claims it does really help fight against infection. Her statement is backed up by medical research, however most medical professionals advise to use it externally only. Our son's pediatrician disagrees and states that its good to use internally in small doses. So we do.

I have yet to turn blue or develop any serious medical condition as a result of using colloidal silver from time to time.

One last item I'll throw out there... directions for all products that contain either colloidal silver or silver thiosulfate state to spray the product just on the branch that you want to have turn into male parts. If this is the case, it would stand to reason that the colloidal silver or silver thiosulfate remains only on that branch. If it didn't, and it spread throughout the rest of the plants system, it would cause other branches or even the entire plant to become male and produce pollen. This makes me deduce that as long as you don't try to smoke anything off that branch that you sprayed, you probably won't get much, if any, of the colloidal silver or silver thiosulfate in the buds that you smoke. I could be wrong, but I'm just hypothesizing here.

Until someone does research specifically on what the ramifications of smoking weed from a plant that was sprayed with colloidal silver or silver thiosulfate are, or potentially has trace amounts of colloidal silver, we'll never really know if its harmful or not to smoke it. Based on everything that I have read, and the fact that I have breathed in colloidal silver on purpose for health related reasons, I would not have a problem smoking some weed that might have trace amounts of it.

Party On

I'll jump in late on this one too. I am still no expert on Colloidal Silver or Silver Thiosulfate. But I now have a little experience working with both on my current grow.

I have no clue what the problems would be with smoking weed that has been sprayed, but I'm just going to toss mine in a week. It has grown a ton of pollen sacs on it and completed pollenating the other females that are in the tent, so I'm pretty much done with it.

As far as smoking goes. If the Silver Colloidal or Silver Thiosulfate has done it's job, the plant will be full of pollen pods which would hardly be good for smoking. Unless you like the taste of burning pollen. But I've never smoked it. Even if I only treated one branch, I don't think I would smoke the rest of the plant. I would also think that since a branch has been treated that the rest of the plant would probably lose some of its potency.

My question:

Will you bet your life, the bud you smoke is clean of colloidal silver? If not, then NO!!

That also goes for edibles in my opinion.

We must remember that when we spray a plant, we don't see everywhere the spray lands on the plant.

My rule in the future with colloidal silver (i haven't used it yet). If I spray a plant, it will not be consumed.
How the hell can aNy1 say what u just said...! Without Realising that this Shit comes from Health Food Stores, and is for Humans to Take Internally..........!

Yeah but all you've really done is posted a link to an article that shows silver has some adverse health effects. The paper goes on to talk about occupational exposure limits. In both cases is the paper that relevant to what we're doing here? If it is, do you posses the expertise to point out how? No, I don't think you could, so you conceded to the, "Better safe than sorry," position, which in the end is more or less an opinion based upon lack of information if you cannot show how the information in the article relates to what we're discussing. Specifically, how does 0.1 mg/m3 occupational health limit compare to levels that we may encounter smoking CS contaminated weed? Without the ability to make actual estimates based on that information, we're just polishing up opinions as if they were facts.

Cobbling up research written by experts doesn't actually lend you that expertise if you lack the authority to interpret that information. Unless we have Ph. D or M.D. in front of our names, then that article doesn't actually provide much useful information other than what was already known about the possibility of adverse health effects from sliver; it does nothing to make us more aware of whether those health effects are likely. It doesn't tell us how much silver a person much come into contact with to bring on any of the possible adverse health effects. What it does do is tell us what those possible health effects are, and allow us to determine for ourselves whether the severity of those risks is greater than, less than or equal to the risks of going untreated.

Oh and we can cast all sorts of dispersion about how bad a grower someone must be, how irresponsible they are for not planning ahead, and make all sorts of character judgments, but that doesn't change the fact that if they need medicine, CS contaminated weed could medicate them without presenting a large risk for adverse health reaction. If you have such a huge problem with me saying so Bonsaiweed, sue me. My PTSD experience hasn't led me to making wide-sweeping generalizations about peoples character when they don't agree with me, so I don't assume everyone is crossing their Ts and dotting their Is, and is going to have everything perfectly situated in order to avoid such a conundrum. I mean my god, imagine a sick person not having all their shit together... Unheard of. I'm sorry, but if your feelings about this are so strong you can't even imagine a scenario where someone would earnestly need that weed, then your imagination is clouded by your feelings.

I'll remind you I haven't missed a step in pointing out when my experience is anecdotal, but what I think people are fooling themselves with, is the idea that they can go and pull up a white-paper that's talking about sciences and principles they have no expertise in, and then assume they can interpret that information, and offer an opinion on it with expertise. It doesn't work that way, and so to suggest an opinion drawn from that article by any one of us (including myself) is somehow more valid than anecdotal evidence, can't actually be supported unless one of us has enough expertise in this field to show 1). A correlation between a certain level of exposure and an adverse health effect and 2). What those occupational exposure limits translate into in terms of smoking weed sprayed with CS. It's also worth mentioning, that the article states there seems to be no correlation between a certain level of exposure and people developing these conditions, so in effect it already states that even if we found 2. it wouldn't help us since 1. is indeterminate.

Also, I really can't help but point out the irony that we're all smoking a substance whose safety itself is highly controversial. When did you guys start smoking cannabis? Did you go and research it to death and find your white-papers saying it was totally innocuous and harmless? Well, I have very sincere doubts you did, as I could find white-paper after white-paper to talk about it being a carcinogen, to talk about the hundreds of toxic compounds in the smoke, and so on and so forth. Yet people smoked it, and they didn't die, and they got more benefit from it than harm and through anecdotal evidence other people came to trust it, and smoke it as well. So frankly, you can't sit there and tell me with a straight face you've never used or consumed a substance without verifying through some scientific research that it's 100% harmless, because if you had you wouldn't be smoking cannabis.

Anecdotal evidence pioneers the way for scientific research. In my opinion, the onus for proof of CS's dangers and safety concerns is on the people making the claims that it's unsafe. Otherwise, they should stick with, "It's better not to take the risk," rather than coming from a place of false authority and simply declaring it unsafe. As far as sharing my anecdotal experience, the OP asked about it, i shared it. I'm not offering it up unsolicited, going around telling people, "Smoke all the CS sprayed weed you want!" but I'm not going to sit here and act like Chicken Little with his head cut off because I think the sky is falling.

I really don't care for the attitude that has overcome this discussion. I think it's unfortunate your imagination is so rigid, Bonsaiweed, that you think the only way someone would go against your grand wisdom, would be the result of some negative character defect. "I'm quite tired of people stating things that they have no evidence to support their viewpoint." I don't know why you think that shouldn't apply to people making claims that CS, and smoking CS contaminated weed. I don't care if you're only concerned about what people have said here, I'm tired of seeing that claim made all over the internet, and I find it so ironic that WillGrow510 talks about people just taking evidence for granted like they're reading headline news, because that is exactly what the people repeating those claims are doing. Frankly, there's a lot of the pot calling the kettle black going on, sprinkled in with a lot of self-righteous, egotistical talk about ignorance and idiocy.

I'm out.
U just said aLot of Bla Bla Bla..........

@beez0404 I'd love to hear your opinion on this since you brush the colloidal silver onto one branch and do not spray the entire plant. Do you consume the buds on a plant that was treated with CS even though you make sure to keep it onto one branch? There is a theory that CS treatment is systemic. It seems to me that your process proves that CS treatment can be made to be only localized and therefore the buds should still be safe to consume.

thank you everyone because i want to soak my seeds in the colloidal silver for pest control and all that you have said makes sense to me i feel like it was yet again something that was too natural taking away from big pharma so just like anything else like ivermectin when something is going to work the FDA will quickly get rid of it because a healed customer is a lost one. i will stick to my guns and trust that silver is a mineral that we consume daily and around it so i am not worried wonderful thread

Back
Top Bottom