SOGgy Daze Ahead For Mr. Krip!

The real reason I'm interested in this is because 2l SOG is very similar to 12/12 from seed, gonna see if I can pick up some tips to apply later down the road (after the shootout and then the Iron Chef Challenge!).

They make very tiny Air Pots, and I'm sure I could cram 30 or more in my tent, I just think the logistics of watering all those tiny guys would be taxing. I'm getting comfy for this one, Mr. Krip! :cheer:

:bongrip: - JZ

The real reason I'm interested in this is because 2l SOG is very similar to 12/12 from seed, gonna see if I can pick up some tips to apply later down the road (after the shootout and then the Iron Chef Challenge!).

They make very tiny Air Pots, and I'm sure I could cram 30 or more in my tent, I just think the logistics of watering all those tiny guys would be taxing. I'm getting comfy for this one, Mr. Krip! :cheer:

Drip system!

Drip system!

McMuff is correct, a drip system would be ideal! Especially with soil, I think it would be easy, and, a little more difficult, but it can be done with Hempys, too. Not something I'll be tackling on this round, though! :)

QUICK PIC UPDATE

I checked on the clones in the tent this morning, and here's what they were looking like:

DSCN08772.JPG

What really caught my eye was that Power Skunk (black hempy) that just got transplanted to her hempy. She had the roots coming out of the sides of the cube and she was looking perky as hell this morning trying to thank me for giving her a new home. I also think having the vermiculite in the mix is helping:

DSCN08742.JPG

DSCN08761.JPG

DSCN08751.JPG

Here's the girls in the TK:

DSCN08781.JPG

There's no wilting but some are starting to yellow, which I'd me more concerned about but I've got enough clones to start the SOG and I'm seeing root development, even on the yellowing clones:

DSCN08801.JPG

Little Lucy was also looking perky this morning, but she's got a little yellowing going on that looks to me like a slight N deficiency. I upped her nutes yesterday:

DSCN08822.JPG

Here's the PE with the LST looking good:

DSCN08841.JPG

And, here's the Power Skunk that had the UBT and will get topped again by next week:

DSCN08853.JPG

Happy Harvests,

K

Drip system!

McMuff is correct, a drip system would be ideal! Especially with soil, I think it would be easy, and, a little more difficult, but it can be done with Hempys, too. Not something I'll be tackling on this round, though! :)

HydroSpike? Same as the Blumat, but domestically easier to get...I think this might be shaping up ;)

I have to ask where you get the purple containers? They're so cool. The yellowing for clones is a good thing. Energy for roots. Keeping the water ph 5.8 will help speed things up.

I picked a bunch of the containers up at the $ Store when I was planning on rooting the clones in Rockwool/hempy's. They're only something like 16oz., so they're only temporary before I transplant to the 2L's, but they don't take up a lot of space. I get them color coded for the two strains:

Purple = Pineapple Exrepss
Black = Power Skunk
:)

I seriously can't wait to see everything come together. I know its gonna be great!:thumb:

Looking great brother ladies are finally starting to show good signs of growth very anxious to see the power skunk grows:adore:

Thanks guys! :thanks:

I'm just as anxious as you are! :yahoo:

Unfortunately, there's not much new to report.

The girls in the mini-hempys are adjusting to their new homes, and that Power Skunk top is still looking perky.

On the cloner side, although I'm seeing the start of some root spikes, still nothing I'd call roots after about 6 days in the TK.

Again, I'm not that concerned, yet, and I've been running some pretty high temps, partially because I've been running the TK 24/0.

Tomorrow, the cycle timer should be in and I'll do a res change and start the girls on cycles of 1 minute on and 4 minutes off. I would expect to start seeing some roots over this next week, if I'm gonna see them at all! :morenutes:

QUICK UPDATE - NEW LED ON ORDER

I placed the order for the new BlackStar 500w LED today.

Since I've had some questions regarding LED's and why I chose the Blackstar, I thought I'd explain them in some more detail.

For any of you that have looked at LED's, you know how expensive the good light are. You can expect the initial investment on a good LED to be more than an HID or HPS, but that investment can be recouped over time through lower electic costs, lower cooling requirements (smaller fans/less electric), and longer bulb life.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of cheap LED's on the market, I just wouldn't expect any of them to work when growing MJ.

First, I highly recommend anyone interested in LED's read Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide, but here are a few of the things that determine the quality of an LED:

1) Power Draw (not rating, but draw!)
2) Chipsets Used (manufacturer and power rating)
3) Wavelengths of the LED's
4) Angle of the LED's

Since this post is not intended to be another "Buyers Guide", here's the reasons I chose the BlackStar:

The primary reason I chose the BlackStar is quite simply that it was a quality LED that had about the lowest cost per usable watt of any light I've seen! The actual power draw of the 500w is (supposed to be) about 300w, which is a good amount of watts to put down on a small area.

I'm not aware of ANY other quality LED that gives 300 usable watts for around $500!

The BlackStar is a 6-Band LED that uses ALL 3w chips. The wavelenghts include 380nm ultraviolet, 425nm deep blue, 450nm blue, 630nm red, 660nm red, and 730nm infrared. Additionally, they have some 12,000k white chips. So, there's a nice full spectrum, with the majority of lights being the 630nm & 660nm for flowering.

It also has a nice mix of beam angles including 60*, 90* & 120* to give both penetration and coverage.

In short, there are most certainly much better LED's on the market, but, not too many places where you can get more LED for the money, IMHO!

Happy Harvests!

K

Thanks for the bit on your BlackStar! I'm always following this technology waiting for the right time to jump in. The prices are still a bit too rich for my blood, but I very well may consider replacing the 4x6 T5 in the bathroom with a comparably sized LED fixture in the future.

Thanks again for sharing! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

QUICK PIC UPDATE

OK, boys & girls...Time for an update on the SOG!

First, I can say I made a BIG rookie error the first week in the TK by NOT monitoring the res temps! The cycle timer came in yesterday, and when I went to do a res change, the res temps were in the high 80's! This explains why I've seen the beginnings of root development, but haven't really seen any roots yet.

GG7, I should have listened to you and got that temp probe last week, but I'll definately be ordering one this week!

I knew there may be issues since the cabinet runs some pretty high temps, so I moved the hempy clones from the tent into the cab, and moved the TK from the cab to the tent.

Now that the TK's in the cooler tent and running 1 minute on and 4 minutes off cycles, the temps seem much better and I can already see an improvement in 24 hours.

Here are the girls in the veg cabinet:

DSCN09172.JPG

And, here are the hempy clones. They've all shown some vertical growth now, so I trimmed off all the dead stuff and when they get to about 4" tall, I'll move them to the 2L hempys and put them in 12/12. Note: the one on the right in the red solo cup is the Lucy Seedling and in the black hempy is the Power Skunk top that got cloned:

DSCN09182.JPG

Also, I picked up another toy to help with watering 24 2L hempys:

DSCN09162.JPG

It's a two gallon sprayer. It definately helps (I used it today), but it takes more time to fill the hempys with the sprayer as opposed to just pouring the solution in from a pitcher. It is convenient with the wand that lets you direct the spray to any of the hempys without rearranging them or pulling the container out.

I also picked up some 4" ducting today and finished the ventillation on the tent:

DSCN09191.JPG

And, I got a "tornado fan" for some breeze & circulation on the floor:

DSCN09201.JPG

And, here's the girls in the TK that have gotten very yellow, but I believe most of them will make it. I'm sure they all would have had I kept temps in control, but the hempy clones all surprised me, so maybe these will too!

DSCN0921.JPG

I also picked up some black plastic spray paint today, too, so I can start painting the bottoms of the 2L bottles.

I'm guessing by next weekend we'll have our first rounnd of clones in 12/12! :yahoo:

Happy Harvests!

K

QUICK PIC UPDATE

OK, boys & girls...Time for an update on the SOG!

First, I can say I made a BIG rookie error the first week in the TK by NOT monitoring the res temps! The cycle timer came in yesterday, and when I went to do a res change, the res temps were in the high 80's! This explains why I've seen the beginnings of root development, but haven't really seen any roots yet.

GG7, I should have listened to you and got that temp probe last week, but I'll definately be ordering one this week!

Ooops! Sorry to hear that your water temps got out of control! It can happen pretty fast and as you said, now you know why I made such a big deal about it before. The Polder probe I use has an alarm on it that I set to a few degrees above optimum so if the water temp starts rising, that alarm goes off and doesn't stop until either the temp drops back down below the alarm temp or I do something about the situation.

Did you buy the one I linked you to? Thats the model I use and it works great for this application! :thumb:

Hopefully the plants recover! With all the confusion going on with me last week over Kimba, I wasn't monitoring things here as much as I usually do. When you posted those root photos so early, if I had seen them right then, I would have questioned you on your water temp, cause I usually don't see any hint of root buds until Day 8 or 9 at the earliest.

The other danger of a high water temp is the rapid development of black or brown stem rot. Both LOVE water temps in the 80s and 90s. ;)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little ladies in the T24! :thumb:

QUICK PIC UPDATE

All of the hempy clones are looking good (and so is Lucy in the red solo cup!) :

DSCN0922.JPG

Since the TK clones were going a little slow, I thought it was a good time to top the two top colas on the Power Skunk. Hopefully, the two bottom colas will catch up a little bit and she'll branch out a little to allow me to take more clones as I transform her into a Bonsai mom:

DSCN0923.JPG

I did take the two additional tops and put them in the TK:

DSCN0924.JPG

They were real small and there's only about 1/4"-1/2" of root exposed below the insert:

DSCN0927.JPG

Hopefully they'll root quickly and I'll have a couple more Power Skunks in the mix!

The other TK clones have all been in the TK for about a week, but mostly at excessively high temps and rooting is going slow.

Here's what they look like today:

DSCN0925.JPG

And, here's the one with the most developed root spikes, so far:

DSCN09281.JPG

The new LED should be delivered Wednesday and probably by the weekend, or early next week, I'll put my first set of clones under 12/12. I'm guessing it will only be six, since I don't think the TK clones will catch up in time, but if they look close, I may wait and try to get twelve in on the first round.

Once I start flowering in the tent, I'm gonna need to find the best place to put the TK. I guess I'll have to try the only place I haven't yet, which is the flower side of the cab under CFL's. Hopefully, the CFL's will run a lot cooler than the 2' T5 on the veg side.

I'm definately looking forward to getting this round started! :yahoo:

Happy Harvests!

K

Back
Top Bottom