Solar Son's 4x4 600 Watt MH/HPS Soiless: Jamaican Dream, Seed To Bud

Thank you for your information :)

I have to say on a side note, this forum is amazing and I am so glad that I have joined and am now posting not just lurking.

I woke up around 5:30 am, and checked the seeds(I feel like a giddy child on Christmas's morning lol). All 5 seeds are now sunk to the bottom of the glass after soaking for about 8.5 hours. I am torn on if I will let the tap roots grow out in water for another 24-36ish hours then straight to the solo Cup OR if I will move to paper towel. I am thinking the less movement the better? And leaving them to soak and then straight to the ocean forest, any input?

I have my light running ATM on 50% power while I test the timer and finish fixing a few light leaks (this tent is over 6 years old but in great shape for her age) I am also noting the ambient temperature in the tent during this time so I can attempt to stabilize promptly.

I'll post another update later tonight and see if we have any popping or tap roots at the 24 hour mark!

Looking forward to everyone joining along on this exciting journey!

I personally soak my seeds for 18hrs then into paper towel until I seed the tap root. Once the tap root pops I place 1/2” into the Promix and lightly cover.
2-5 days later you should see the sprout above ground!

Everyone has their own method of germination and finding what works best for you is the key!

TIP: try to not touch the seed if possible! Once the seed has cracked in the paper towel I use a pair of sterile tweezers to gently place the pointy side of the seed down into the medium!

Hope your doing well !

Good Morning Dutchman,
I am reading through your journal at the moment getting up to speed, very nice from what I am reading, great job!

TIP: try to not touch the seed if possible! Once the seed has cracked in the paper towel I use a pair of sterile tweezers to gently place the pointy side of the seed down into the medium!

I am glad that you mentioned putting the seed root down. I remember back in elementary school when we did the "bean in a solo Cup" that I put the tap root pointing UP not down. This forced the root to grow and turn back down, while the sprout shot up from the bottom. If I recall, this helps to have the seedling firmly rooted and creates better growth? I could be out in left field and am glad that I got the opening to ask. I was second guessing even bringing this up and instead was just going to follow what appears to be the status quo of tap root down.

Good Morning Dutchman,
I am reading through your journal at the moment getting up to speed, very nice from what I am reading, great job!

I am glad that you mentioned putting the seed root down. I remember back in elementary school when we did the "bean in a solo Cup" that I put the tap root pointing UP not down. This forced the root to grow and turn back down, while the sprout shot up from the bottom. If I recall, this helps to have the seedling firmly rooted and creates better growth? I could be out in left field and am glad that I got the opening to ask. I was second guessing even bringing this up and instead was just going to follow what appears to be the status quo of tap root down.

That is correct when the plant starts to form the tap root growing like that helps the plant grasp a strong footing and also helps to shed the seed casing as it pushes through the top layer of the soil or medium your growing in!

Welcome solar. You are in excellent company mate. Never panic , always ask. I would have killed a few without this amazing group to search and question. I am old school hps and havent fell to the "dark side" of L.E.D's yet !!! With their sweety wrapper covered lights and COBS with CHIPS and QUANTUM sauce all over the place. Lit up growrooms looking like dept store christmas displays,,,,devils work i tell you !!!!! ( so jealous as knowone will sponser my conversion and i cant afford a new wife if i buy some to try either( still thinks i use torches!!!).
I have cooltubes on both my 600w so lose a little P.A.R for a huge no heat issue gain. Have experience in coco and nft hydro but new and struggling atm with rdwc but along for the ride and any help i could offer. Good luck and enjoy

OK all caught up. Looking like a real nice set up here Son...your plants will do fine with the characters you have on board here.

Turns out that the ProMix being out of stock may have been a blessing as a store in town is now carrying FoxFarm ;)
With that being said, I will be using Ocean Forest instead of ProMix.
Send me a PM when you can where you got FFOF. I used it on my WW and had huge colas. Best thing I used. Got it from the Jungle site for an arm and a leg. Price would be good to know as well.
Thanks man.

Im pulling up a chair I also flower in a 4x4 with 600 watt light.
I've been wanting to run this strain can't wait to see what she can do.

Welcome aboard!!!
I am excited to see how she does as well! I have an update I am about to post ;)

Welcome solar. You are in excellent company mate. Never panic , always ask.

Thank you for the kind words !
I am enjoying how welcoming and friendly this forum is. Makes a new member feel comfortable to ask without worry of a flame war!

I really appreciate everyone that is tagging along, any and all advice is welcome :)

Welcome aboard!!!
I am excited to see how she does as well! I have an update I am about to post ;)

Thank you for the kind words !
I am enjoying how welcoming and friendly this forum is. Makes a new member feel comfortable to ask without worry of a flame war!

I really appreciate everyone that is tagging along, any and all advice is welcome :)
With so many proven paths it gets hard to choose "the right , right path. Lol . It is well worth going over a few of the new members links posts. Find out some great stuff there too.
The amount of " never thought to mention" titbits that can change whole grows for some people , are endless and often brilliant. There is one you may find food called. Easy germination , i think. It is using an old methid from hoppy days but is brilliant for getting strong willing seeds going using jar and a little water. Also about not giving first nutes till she has eaten the first two rounded ( coty) leaves up to yellow and dying. Enjoy your journey. We will enjoy seeing you succeed as much as you will.

Or ask me to help out lol

LoL that I have been doing :D

Such a great forum here, like HTL mentioned in her grow thread it can be emotional to see how things community pulls together! Already I am feeling the vibes~ :ganjamon:

@Ganjagrandaddy
So many paths, and so many outcomes! Detailed notes so that I can tweak the method fine tune, as well as learn learn, read read and soak it all up! I must let my roots grow and flourish taking in all the tidbits I can!

With the Ocean Forest, I have been reading a lot of people don't feed nutrients for the first 2-3 weeks. Noob question, do they mean just the base nutrients? Should I be adding my Voodoo Juice once the two coty leaves fall or wait until I start the feeding regeim in 2-3 weeks?

I plan on also using Emerald Goddess and Honey Chome in addition to EH Cali Grow a+b.

A simple rule is, feed nutrients when 3rd node is out

Are supliment considered nutrients? Or supliment? So I hold off on the Cali grow a+b, but am safe with the Voodoo Juice ?

Actually, nothing, except water until 3rd node
You have good soil, full of good for the babies. They can go for a month without anything. But, given different lights/strains etc. Counting nodes is safer.

I wouldn’t feed or give anything but water until the 3rd node is present like @AngryBird said. Then you can start introducing nutes and or supplements at low introductory doses like 1/4 strength of what’s recommended by the manufacturer on the bottle.

With voodoo juice it’s a root booster. Your supposed to feed 2ml voodoo juice to 1L of water weeks 1-2 of veg and bloom. That being said I would start the voodoo juice the watering before you start nutes to increase root mass and nutrient uptake come next watering.

Sunday October 28th: germination day 1 (24) hours in

So, today has been an amazing day! Our first snowfall :roorrip:

Update on the germination, this morning after soaking for 14 hours 3 of the 6 seeds had cracked and tap roots ermerging. At the 24 hour mark all 6 have germinated, all have tap roots. I am allowing them to soak for another 15 or so hours. Getting some Fox Farm Ocean Forest in the morning to put them into the solo cups. During my research I decided to go straight from water to soil instead of paper towel, I know that there are many different “camps” with many different approaches to germination but I am liking this technique.

I have my light running 8pm-2pm (figuring the house will be hottest during the evening time, also it works better as off peak hours!

Lights off with one 18” oscillating fan provides 25* at “canopy” level, light 18” above the “canopy”. While running the light it goes to 30*c
I will be setting up 4” 100cfm in-line booster bringing in cool air into the bottom of the tent.
As long as the temps stabilize that will be the initial set up. Over the next few weeks I will be adding a 200cfm output fan with a carbon filter mounted close to the hood to exhaust the hot air. I will also open up passive takes if required.

Another update tomorrow with the seeds going into the cups.

+1 rep to Eva Seeds for 100% pop rate,

Your supposed to feed 2ml voodoo juice to 1L of water weeks 1-2 of veg and bloom. That being said I would start the voodoo juice the watering before you start nutes to increase root mass and nutrient uptake come next watering.

Noted, thank you good Sir

Back
Top Bottom