Solaris’s Garden: First Grow & Some Cacti, 2019

Solaris420

420 Member
Hi everyone, Solaris here from the land of the long white cloud :). Have been posting on overgrow.com lately but damn that site is dead. It is a real shame.

This is my first time posting and my first day on this forum. Made an account ages ago but never got around to lurking the site or posting anything.

Here to share my journey and hopefully learn & get some advice along the way.
I am a home gardener, I mainly grow different Trichocereus subspecies (San Pedro Cacti) from seed and cuttings. I own too many (recently sowed around 600 seeds for spring :rofl:).

After dealing with chronic pain for 2 years I have decided to grow my own medicine for the first time. I have been on opioid based painkillers for 2 years and my goal is to ditch Pharmaceuticals completely by the end of the year. Without Cannabis I am sure I would have a full blown addiction to these pills and for that I am very very thankful. I was given some clones & seeds a few months ago, went through about 8-9 weeks of veg and now currently in week 5 of flower. Will show you some early photos compared to now.

-Clones-
1x Sour D
1x OG Kush

-Setup-
Currently Germinating some seeds for outside. Inside I was running a 60X60x160cm tent (recently upgraded to a 100x100x200, has made a MASSIVE difference) powered by the Bestva Elite 600W. Both the Flower and Veg switches are on at the moment for a bit more of a boost, I will switch off the veg lights for the last 2 weeks of flowering. No complaints about either of them.
To make it even harder for myself I decided to run a DWC and Coco setup at the same time. I grow other plants in Coco so I was confident in my ability to do so, I had never run DWC before but wanted to give it a try. For my next run I will be building a RDWC system.

The Coco plant is in a 7 gallon fabric pot. I am using a single modified Nutrifield Pro Pot for DWC. In early veg I was using the 15L pot but have recently upgraded to the 27L one once the root mass was large enough. I run a 800L/H air pump that feeds 4 air stones into the bottom of the pots. I can take some photos of how I built them if anyone is interested.

-Nutes + Soil-
For nutes I am running the Canna Coco and Canna Aqua lines, along with Pro-TeKt, Cannazym, Rhizotonic & CX Horticulture additives (Regen a Root, Bio Balancer, Wilt Guard & Growth Enhancer). I am also using Emerald Harvest Cal-Mag.
Feeding at 6pH and 1.3 EC. No problems so far (I hope).
Outdoors I am using a homemade living soil which should do the job quite well. It is a living soil mix mainly consisting of coco, pumice, worm castings, compost and some other amendments, as well as beneficial bacteria (Mycorrhizal fungi, Trichoderma, Bacillus subtilis etc). I can go into more detail if anyone is interested. The mix has been brewing for a few weeks in the shade outside.

I believe that covers it all. Sorry for the long post. Here are some photos!

Sour D in the back, OG Kush in the front. Both are about 3 1/2 weeks old here & were started from 20cm clones.

Some beans from FeralA9X. Two Buddha diesel Haze & a Thai Buddha MBX1. Currently outside.

Week 5 -
(Bit droopy as nearing lights out)

Some cool half purple half green stems on the OG. Has been getting more and more prominent as the plants get older.

Sour D getting bushy. Pretty sure I accidentally moster cropped her as the clones I got had just hit flower. Had some weird leaves here and there so it was definitely revegging -

Here are some Trichocereus grafts I did, a few weeks difference in each photo :)

Psycho0 x (Sina x Tripsis) Grafted around the start of August. Pupped from every Areole.

SS02 x Kimura's Giant, grafted 9th of August

(Some QWISO I made a few weeks ago. Ran 100g of nuggy trim.)

3 weeks later, 1 week into flower. Let them veg for wayyyyyyyy too long :rofl:

Some nice little preflowers here and there. The darker green is the OG, lighter is the Sour D.

Sour D stem getting nice and thick. Nice big root ball as well.

2 weeks later, week 3 of flower. New tent was acquired and installed.

Some nice little pre flowers on the OG.

Sour D bush starting to load up.

A few more OG flowers.

2 days later.. DWC Sour D powering up...

Will create a new post for the rest of the photos.

OG starting to sparkle. A few fucked up pistils here and there from the oscillating fan being too close and too powerful. Moved it back a bit and haven't noticed a problem since.

Sour D reaching for the stars. Has been a real honor growing this girl. Some really cool genetics.

About to hit week 5 of flower here. Both plants have been getting fatter and fatter by the day.

OG not as close to the light, still progressing well but not as fast.

2 days later, I gotta stop staring at my plants every few hours or I'm going to notice no growth at all :rofl:

OG looking good.

Week 5 Sour D. Smells like grapefruit :)

Sour D & OG nearing week 6, starting to get a few orange pistils here and there on the Sour D. Starting to get her lean on as well :)

Feeling pretty proud for my first grow. Praise the cacti as without them I would have no idea what I'm doing lol

Sour D -
Really loving the half red/purple half green stems on this girl.
DSC00369.JPG

DSC00373.JPG

DSC00371.JPG

DSC00366.JPG

DSC00363.JPG

DSC00391.JPG

DSC00388.JPG

DSC00387.JPG
DSC00368.JPG

Aloha Solaris!

beautiful work so far for a first grow! Plants are healthy and lush! Sending positive thoughts and vibes!
:passitleft:

Looking super in the garden, the cacti are interesting.

They really are!! I found my first one at the local botanical gardens, was given a small little pup and the addiction started from there :laugh:.

Without them I would have no grasp on growing so praise the cacti :). They are commonly known as San Pedro and have been used for thousands of years in South America by Shamans. Known as a strong hallucinogenic. (I have never tried eating them, growing them is more my thing :))

How long until they mature from seed?

Growing cacti has truly taught me the meaning of patience :laugh: Depends what time of the season you start them and indoor or outdoor. Here are some 3 month old babies, grown in the middle of winter completely outdoors, you will have faster growth growing indoors under T5 lights in winter but during spring/summer they will start to pump outdoors :)

(Trichocereus Peruvianus x Open pollinated)
1575499224095.png

Few flowering updates, currently in week 6 of flower. Getting frosty!! :thumb:

Sour D, love the razor leaves on this girl. Almost look like knives.
DSC00431.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

DSC00416.JPG

DSC00422.JPG

DSC00439.JPG

DSC00442.JPG

DSC00446.JPG

OG starting to snow :thumb: -
DSC00456.JPG

DSC00461.JPG

Ngā mihi!

Attachments