Some sort of Spider Mite?

grofox

Hello,

I was gifted some clones, and after a few weeks, found some spider mites?

I question this bec/ I have seen posts here that say the mites make small webs on the underside of the leaves. I found webs across the leaves of my plant, like maybe 4 leaves wide. The leaves are only about 2" wide, and at least 3" betw/ leaves, so they are pretty good size webs. I have seen no leaf problems. As if they are creating the webs to catch prey, not to eat the leaves.

The only pics I have seen of the mites, are microscopic. I can see the spiders walking up and down the web. They are like half the size of a sesame seed, white, and move pretty quick, and probably 20-30 of them on each web. They very closely resemble the Tholian web. Original Star Trek fans will remember this episode when aliens create a web to surround the ship. These spiders move just like them, in speed and everything else.

I used a pyrethium bomb, and they all died. I can still see them on the web, but now there is no movement.

1) What do you think they are?

2) I assume they have eggs...When do you think I should re-bomb? I have been told 5 days later.

3) I have also been told to wash the pyrethium residue off (with 6.0 water) of the plant, as it hurts the plant in some way...

Please give some advice...

Thank you much

definitely spider mites. U should bomb once every 7-10 days. The bombs work for the adults, but not for unhatched eggs. U should bomb 3 times over a 21-30 day period. The only down side is that most pyrethrium bombs are made for large spaces and if u have a small space this may not be the best solution. I have had problems with phytotoxcicty after bombing a small room with a product meant for a large one. Ur best option at this point would be to use some cold pressed Neem oil with a sticker/spreader. Spray top and bottoms of leaves. Neem is toxic to spider mites when ingested. Spray every where so they have no choice but to eat it. Hope this helps.

I used adven spray and a pyrithium bomb to initially kill them.

6 days later Last nite), I bombed again.

I plan to bomb one more time next week.

About 2 days after initial treatment, the stunted plants (about 18" tall) started sprouting and growing & greening. Amazing recovery.

I just hope they are gone for good.

ps. I have noticed some yellowing at the tips of the plants since the treatment, and am guessing it is from the residue left on the leaves. I am leaving the residue on purpose, hopefully if anything hatches, it will eat the residue and die...in a few days, I will clean the leaves with 6.0 water, and hopefully the yellowing tips will clear up.

Cheers

Be careful when bombing if, u continue to use the same type of bomb the mites can develop an immunity to it. if u bombed w/pyrithium 1st next bomb should be something else, then the 3rd and final application switch back to pyrithium. Consult with a rep at your local grow store they should have another type of bomb. I was told this by a trusted grow store employee. She said to do this but i forget the name of the other bomb. I know it started with an A. Ask around. But I do want to emphasize that mites have been known to develop an immunity to pyrithium over time. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom