Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Champange

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Sour Diesel

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Bubba Kush

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
I am back. Thanks for your interest TheRuiner,mcbudz. I would really recommend the secret jarden dark room. I now have a new veg area that was made by hydrohut but their "new" model with the omniflect metalic interior. No toxic fumes so far but the secret jarden dark room or dr120 I have is without question of higher quality for about the same price. The material is about half the thickness and the zippers are not even close to the type of durabilty. As for the vents..it looks like hydrohut used a lightweight packing string where the dark room people used braided nylon cables. as mcbudz stated you can lock the dark rooms which I consider to be a very nice feature. You can also lock the hydrohuts but I have to shop around for a very small luggage lock due to the zippers being about half the size of the darkrooms. I can not comment on the quality of other hydrohuts but all of the "DR" dark rooms I have seen have been of superior quality. The new metalic model hydrohuts however do not have as many light leaks as their old models so if you are looking for a cheap veg option it might be for you but I would never attempt it for flower. I dont think any of the grow tents I have seen would stand up to a persistant cat.

this is how I am using mine.

IMG_2626.JPG

the plants in the DWC are doing fine my clones, I have not cut many clones due to the availabity of them here in california and I need to read more. I have them on a seedling mat now but my last set died and these dont look so good so I will keep you posted. I kept one stawberry C and one Sour Diesel as a mothers and I am flowering 4 total. SC,SD,Campange and the bubba kush.

TheRuiner temperature is not always in my favor and I have a heater in the dark room now due to the temps droping too far below 65 during the lights off cycle. During the summer things get way too hot without the fans at higher speeds and I use frozen water bottles in the rez to keep the roots happy. I did try dry ice a few times and I did not notice any large jumps in growth, but I did not get any wilting.

The ladies look ok in the flower area. After I saw the results others have been having with the house and garden line and the results I had with just the drip clean I stopped using the gh 3 part and flora nove nutes and switched to the aqua flakes a+B.

here they are on day 12 of flower.
IMG_2625.JPG

Thank you all of your interest.

The laides seem to be doing better after I reduced the fan speeds. I think the drop between lights on and off temps was too great. The Sour Diesels are the slowest to grow in the flower and veg areas. The Strawberry cough which I expected to be the smallest plant still turned out to be the fastest grower in both veg and bloom areas. I started using purple maxx/snow storm as a foliar and will switch it every other week with magic green and I added carbo load to the res as well. After what I have read I plan on using it throughout flower. If any of you have any experience with these additives please post/PM your thoughts I am interested in your results.

Here they are on day 15 of flower
IMG_2631.JPG

Thanks for your interest Earl.
I wish I could say I have it dialed in but I dont think I am even close. I learn something new every grow and the nutes change all the time. I am just happy if most I plant make it to harvest with some good potency.

I did have a problem that will hold me back a week or so I expect. I do have access to clones here in cali but the sour diesel was growing really slow.

I started paying much more attention to her and she began to twist her fan leaves and began to show some yellowing.
I thought it might the the foliars, they are strong I hear so I also cut way back on the purple maxx/snow storm and the magic green after reading they should be use no more than once/twice a week. the purple maxx maybe only 3weeks before harvest for a week. I did add AN's carbo load and they seem to be fine. we will see come the smoke report.

The others are on the same nutes from the same res so I thought it was just the Sour Diesel but the twisted fan leaves made me really start checking things out all the way down to the PH meter.

That was the problem. it was off by more than 1 base point. I thought my ph was around 5.8 when in reality it was closer to 6.9+. I gave them all a flush and new nutes. they seemed to perk up and my ph dropped through the floor the next day so they must have really need something. I am going to start checking my meter far more often now and pose a question to you growers out there that use a meter. I am really interested in what you soil guys say.

how often do you calibrate your meters? which meter do you use?

Other than that things are going ok. the SC is really taking off and the other ladies with the exception of the sour diesel are doing ok.

here they are at day 18 of flower.

IMG_2636.JPG

back to you earl and access to clones and good genetics. Once I had a great medical strain I started paying more attention to the genetics, I can only say its like bag weed vs purps. I am not in it to harvest with a forklift so potency is far more important to me than yeild.I am also starting to believe the Medical Marijuana Co-ops and Dispensaries (even in Oaksterdam/san francisco)are not keeping the good strains in stock as "clones" by choice. Why would they, you get one great mother and they lose a customer right.
Anyone else in the CA areas have an opinion on that?

I heard a rumor one of the clone only Co-ops and Dispensaries growers had Mt. Cook,Utopia Haze and Super Lemon Haze but got shut down before I could get any. Anyone here have a chance to try any of those strains? sounds like a nice grow to me...poll?

thanks for your interest.

Thanks for all the provided info four20; despite the few small setbacks/minor issues you've had it looks like you have a nice little garden going there, I hope you get the desired potency your looking for.
Like I said before, I am taking great interest in your endeavors because you are almost to a 'T' following my plan of attack. I have a water farm, and am about to purchase a DR120, especially after reading your opinion of it.
I do not have as much indoor growing experience as you do my friend, but I have grow outdoors a few times and have read extensively about DWC, drip systems, and ebb and flow hydroponics. There is no great way to gain experience besides actually doing it like you are, but, considering you haven't already figured this out, I think your running into one of the problems that I imagined I would once I had things to the point you do. As you know, all plants even different strains of the same plant all have there own particular wants and needs, some plants, from what I've read, can stand much higher/lower PH's and PPM readings than others. Since you are growing 4 strains all out of the same community res, you are not able to cater to each individual plants particular preferences. ie. whatever your doing now the SC appears to like just fine, while on the other hand, the SD does not.
What kinda PPM readings do you have? To be honest I have not even heard of some of the nutes that you are using, though I'm sure they could be just as effective if used as the plants desire. I plan on using a suit of 6 Fox Farm nutes (3 for veg and beginning flow, and 3 more for finishing flower) and also giving the General Hydroponics FloraGrow, FloraMicro and FloraBloom a try perhaps before I get fully invested in the FoxFarm nutes, was the Flora series not proforming as you had hoped, or did you just find something better?

Sometime in the future I may graduate to this TDS (PPM) meter:
High Tech Garden Supply
This will read PH, EC, and PPM, as well as temps, I like it :)

I will even be facing similar temp issues as you, a little to cold in the winter and way to hot in the summer. This, I fear, will be the hardest and most expensive hurdle to try and over come. Any detailed insight into how your handling that is more than welcome. eg. What heater are you using? and are fans alone enough to keep temps down where they need to be? FL out.
Happy growing, God bless! :thanks:

I have had alot of problems with my ph pens as of late, one just wore out, then the replacement was bunk from the store; now that I have a good one I am being very careful with it. I have an "Accurate PH 3" by Control Wizard, it has a two stage adjustment for 7.0 and 4.0 solutions. Every time I finish using it I rinse it in distilled H2O, then dip it in 7.0 solution and make sure it goes back to 7.0, shake off the excess and store it. The manufacturer of my pen suggests storing in a few drops of 7.0 between uses. I check both 7.0 and 4.0 every week or when my ph seems screwey, I also use a PH pen cleaner once a month then calibrate.

Di-ionized water
will strip the ions from the reference fluid in the probe
and your probe will become slow and eventually fail.

Distilled and RO are de-ionized water.

Tapwater would be a better choice to rinse your probe.

The pH 4.01 calibration fluid
is a better choice to use a s a storage fluid,
since it has a lot of free ions.

I have two dead pen meters,
one dead milwaukee sm101
one dead nutradip trimeter,
and two working American Marine Pinpoint pH meters.
(american made too)

I leave my probe in the rez 24/7
except when I am flushing nutes.

I take it out of the rez and place it in 4.01 calibration fluid,
until I have added nutes to the RO.

Check ebay for the best price on pH meters,
and replacement probes..

TheRuiner I am not sure if I mentioned this before but I think it really does make a difference how equal the lines are. I did not have the same results when the waterfarms were in a line,versus when they could each pull r/o water at their own rate and not a small amount of nutes from the previous waterfarm like they recommend in the GH diagram.

I lose some light and space due to a square setup with the "T's" in the middle but the plants seem to like it. I think your right about strains and I adjust each res to the ph the plants seem to like once I have done a nute change. My setup only shares clean r/o water once they are in the flower tent. I am using the waterfarm controller that holds about 10 gallons to maintain ppms/ph during the light off cycle.before I had the controler I was adding water everyday or so once I got past week 4 of flower. I have had better luck raising the ph of the water that feeds the line to about 7.2 and as the plants pull in water and the ph drops the higher ph water evens them out only needing a little ph up every now and then.

I may just grow one strain next go round. my ppms are around 1100. I will take them up to about 1300-1400 maybe higher in the next few weeks then down the last week and flush for a week on r/o water and clearex only. I PMed you back before I got to this on the nutes.

I have tried the gh 3 part worked fine and it was cheap too.
flora nova<--clogged my lines all the time when the mix got hot
AN sensi-not the ULTRA-PREMIUM CONNOISSEUR-worked really well, great yeilds but all the additives ran the cost of the grow up.
3D. my personal preference is not to use powders again, but it worked a little better than the gh 3 part
house and garden<--best cost to yeild and potency. I just wish they would make the shooting powder in smaller packets/ratios. not everyone harvests with a forklift in california.

I hear good things on the hannah meter nothing on the sunleaves. I have an oakton.I like it.

the temps....
My worst problem. I have some swings in temperature from winter to summer here. I would blow the air over the light and into the room to warm the air during the winter and suck through the light and out of the tent in the summer. I have the fans on a timer so i have the heater( a cheap wal-mart space heater you can see it in some of my pics with tape over the on light) go on during lights off and I shut the in/out fans off for an hour. several times during the day. I also use seedling heat mats under each res when its really cold. I no longer try to flower during the really hot months or the really cold ones. I just cant afford to heat and cool the area. I find it easier to deal with the heat in waterfarms by adding frozen bottles or r/o water to each res before the lights go off. cheaper than a chiller. I also put blocks of dry ice every now and then on really hot days..(it added up!) in a box in the air aintake line. the plants loved it.

hope that answers your questions ruiner.

thanks flyfishinrock. I am have been lazy thats it. I need to calibrate my meter every res change and the pen cleaner is a great point. my last meter was a milwaukee and it lasted less than a year.

Earl you are the man. I thought I was keeping better care of my meter by rinsing it in r/o water. I will start keeping mine in the reference solution. thanks for the great tip.

Here are the Strawberry cough,Champange,Sour Diesel and Bubba Kush on day 19 of flower.
IMG_2638.JPG

thank you all for your comments and interest in this grow.

i like the tent and looking forword to see the bud on them if it was me i would have let them grow to the maximum and give more buds, but still looking very goodi voted bubba kush:surf::clap::ganjamon::goodjob:

hahahaha I just replied to a post on the first page, anyways....they are looking all grown up, are the strawberries on the left?

flyfishinrock..The Strawberry cough is the largest and she is in the back on the left..:peace:

thanks for your interest doom. I only had one grow tent until recently. I am now going to let them veg for up to two month before I flower them.

Here are the ladies on day 24

IMG_2644.JPG

Sorry for the lack of photos but you know how it is..they started the H&G bud xl this res change. I have never used that product before so I am interested in what the results will be with these strains. they got a light flush with clearex in R/O water. the temps are closer to low 70's up so I am increasing the light off airflow and res ppms..

Really? interesting... I would think that the 120 would as well then. Thats a big selling point for me.
How about the material that it's made out of, how would it stand up against a couple of very eager and curious cats? Would they shred right through it?

I also have the DR120, it has holes in the zippers as well and I'm sure you could find a lock to lock it shut.

The material feels pretty sturdy, but I'm sure if a cat or two was very curious they could probably scratch through eventually. But it's not really flimsy by any means.

Thanks for your interest cnstntgrdnr..I have had a few tents and the dr120 or the secret jarden line has so far been the best. I am very happy with it. I will probably get another.

I think soil is great if you are outside. nothing beats the sun, but I had way too many pest problems. With access to so many hydro supply stores here in california and my limited space, I had to go hydro.

The ladies are ok. not great. the sour d never caught up but she had some problems and may be a bit stunted and the champange has yet to show any buds. I keep hearing about this strain headband thats a OG Kush x Master Kush x Sour Diesel cross. its been floating around so i may pick up a strain of that in place of the sour D next grow.

SC on day 25
the SC starting to show her buds
IMG_2661.JPG

the rest on day 25
IMG_2658day25.JPG

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for taking the time to answer those questions four20, much appreciated.
I have alot to learn when it comes to growing indoors with hydro, I'm used to outside in soil. As for the cat problem, I am almost finished constructing a 51'' X 51'' X 7' cage for my tent to go inside. LOL, I know it's a little ridiculous to make a tent cage, but I'm not about to invest all this work and time into cat food. Good luck on finishing up this grow, I will be continuing to learn alot from it so keep up the good work! :) +rep

Back
Top Bottom