T5 400 Watt 4x4 Grow - Help

kingpentwin92

So i want to start a grow using a t5 400 watt lighting system in a 4x4x8 tent. I plan on coco+pertite medium. I plan to use fox farm nutruients and cotton candy. I want to start with a 4 pot self watering system(5gal pots) growing 4 plants. I aslo plan on using candy kush for this, i want to yeild at least 8oz a plant. So really want to know what results i should be realistic about achieving! Can this set up do it? If not what should i expect or try with this set up?Should i use a auto flower? Help!!!! any input is welcome!

Re: T5 400watt 4x4 grow: HELP

So i want to start a grow using a t5 400 watt lighting system in a 4x4x8 tent. I plan on coco+pertite medium. I plan to use fox farm nutruients and cotton candy. I want to start with a 4 pot self watering system(5gal pots) growing 4 plants. I aslo plan on using candy kush for this, i want to yeild at least 8oz a plant. So really want to know what results i should be realistic about achieving! Can this set up do it? If not what should i expect or try with this set up?Should i use a auto flower? Help!!!! any input is welcome!

First and foremost, welcome to 420 magazine =).

I noticed you wanted to use a t5 for flowering which I don't recommend. I would definetly use a HPS or LED if your looking for yeilds. I wouldn't focus on your yeild for your first grow either, instead I would focus on keeping my plants healthy and alive.

I personally run a 4x4 with a 600 watt hps and the times I've ran 4 pots (3 gallon) my yeild dry was between 2 and 4 oz per plant depending on strain and grow issues. 8oz per plant is a hard to reach goal for a 4x4. Autos or photos will do ..

First and foremost, welcome to 420 magazine =).

I noticed you wanted to use a t5 for flowering which I don't recommend. I would definetly use a HPS or LED if your looking for yeilds. I wouldn't focus on your yeild for your first grow either, instead I would focus on keeping my plants healthy and alive.

I personally run a 4x4 with a 600 watt hps and the times I've ran 4 pots (3 gallon) my yeild dry was between 2 and 4 oz per plant depending on strain and grow issues. 8oz per plant is a hard to reach goal for a 4x4. Autos or photos will do ..
Do what this guy said, I would look into a Scrog net as well. It can really help improve your yields. Educate yourself on topping and supercropping as well. In combination, you can increase your yield and potency.

Make sure to flush well if you're running synthetic nutes. Keep your crop alive and she will reward you.

Good luck, welcome to 420 Mag.

If you are not committed to t5, I would also recommend the 600W and if you plan to move outside the tent at some point, you could always get the 1000W HPS, that you can set to 400W, 600W as well as 1000W. I have a 4x4x7 tent and heat can be an issue with 600W but it is manageable. Amazon has 600W HPS, complete setup for $150. I grow coco/perlite in a Hempy bucket so I am familiar with the setup. I would suggest changing your goals. Forget about bud weight when done. A great goal is to setup your tent, get your grow down, and if you can start 4 plants and get them all the way through flower, that is a worth while goal. I am serious about this. I would say that two easy things to increase yield that are very low risk are topping and Low Stress Training (LST).

When I was starting out, I killed more weed than DDT. I was trying to do everything the expert growers were doing. If you manage your light, PH water in and out (runoff), check for pests and follow the instructions of your nutrients, you will do well. I would also suggest you not compare your grow to other peoples. If your plants look good, ignore what others are doing. It is so easy to read other peoples journals and see great results and try to do what they do but that is a mistake until you have your own process down.

32 ounces from a 4x4 tent isn't impossible, but a pretty high bar for a new grower, and a challenge for the experienced.

Here is a journal of a grower going for 32 ounces from ONE plant in a 4x4 tent. He may do it too! But, this isn't his first rodeo either.

[h=3]Mono's Monster 3.0 - One Plant - One Kilo?[/h]
He also vegged a long enough to develop growth equivalent to 3-4 plants ready for flower, he was also pretty exact with how it grew.

Sent from my VS985 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

32 ounces from a 4x4 tent isn't impossible, but a pretty high bar for a new grower, and a challenge for the experienced.

Here is a journal of a grower going for 32 ounces from ONE plant in a 4x4 tent. He may do it too! But, this isn't his first rodeo either.

[h=3]Mono's Monster 3.0 - One Plant - One Kilo?[/h]

This guy also did one plant in a scrog, if you look at the pictures post harvest that show the branch structure, you can see very clearly that there are 4 main branches with several smaller branches growing straight up in an almost perfect line. This is a great example of experience in the industry. His manipulation of each branch was close to perfect. This entire project is also only possible through the implementation of a scrog net.

1. Make sure your ph is correct. 5.5 for hydro (even coco) 6.5 for soil.
2. Dial in your environment temp/humidity/airflow/co2 (not necessary)
3. Good genetics.

These are the 3 biggest things I'm seeing from experienced growers that determine if your grow will turn out like you want.

This guy also did one plant in a scrog, if you look at the pictures post harvest that show the branch structure, you can see very clearly that there are 4 main branches with several smaller branches growing straight up in an almost perfect line. This is a great example of experience in the industry. His manipulation of each branch was close to perfect. This entire project is also only possible through the implementation of a scrog net.

3. Good genetics.

These are the 3 biggest things I'm seeing from experienced growers that determine if your grow will turn out like you want.
Sorry it deleted my link, trying this:
Sour Tangie - Mr.Auxins Pheno - 1000W - 1.2x1.2m Scrog Single Plant 60 Litre Biobizz

3. Good genetics.

Yes, my point was pulling these kinds of yields out of a small tent comes with a lot of experience, and is still a challenge. I posted the link for the OP to give him an idea of just how far advanced this type of growing is. One plant or four, it doesn't matter. It's still very advanced.

Yes, my point was pulling these kinds of yields out of a small tent comes with a lot of experience, and is still a challenge. I posted the link for the OP to give him an idea of just how far advanced this type of growing is. One plant or four, it doesn't matter. It's still very advanced.
Very true, it takes practice but in theory it's not hard to understand. Which is what I was trying to demonstrate.

I'd set the bar at 8 oz. from the entire tent on your first grow. Even that will be a challenge with T5's, IMO.
400W of T5 lighting wiil be more expensive than HPS or LEDs and still not give you the same PAR.

I'd set the bar at 8 oz. from the entire tent on your first grow. Even that will be a challenge with T5's, IMO.
400W of T5 lighting be more expensive than HPS or LEDs and still not give you the same PAR.
Aren't T5s for veg? Does anyone here flower with T5s?

Aren't T5s for veg? Does anyone here flower with T5s?

You're correct. Using T5s for flower would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight... lol

I imagine it could be done, in a scrog setup with the lights extremely close. But very inefficient.

If that's all OP has to work with though... I'd sub up and watch the show :popcorn: It'd be interesting...

You're correct. Using T5s for flower would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight... lol

I imagine it could be done, in a scrog setup with the lights extremely close. But very inefficient.

If that's all OP has to work with though... I'd sub up and watch the show :popcorn: It'd be interesting...
OP, I would still highly recommend saving a 100-150 and investing in an HPS setup. Your yield will be worth it.

thank you everone every post was helpful! So im going to switch to th 600w for flowerig, should i use the t5 for veg? and is the fox farm trio and cotton candy enough nutrients

thank you everone every post was helpful! So im going to switch to th 600w for flowerig, should i use the t5 for veg? and is the fox farm trio and cotton candy enough nutrients

I've never used either FF or CC, so I can't help you there.
If you have plenty of $$$ and/or want a separate veg room, a T5 setup is fine, but you don't need 400W. I veg and flower all under the HPS. It works great. I do use a 2', 4 bulb T5HO for seedlings, cuttings, etc. If I were to do it again, I'd just get a T8 and save some $$$.

I've never used either FF or CC, so I can't help you there.
If you have planty of $$$ and/or want a separate veg room, a T5 setup is fine, but you don't need 400W. I veg and flower all under the HPS. It works great. I do use a 2', 4 bulb T5HO for seedlings, cuttings, etc. If I were to do it again, I'd just get a T8 and save some $$$.

Great points. I have both an MH and HPS but I like the idea of just doing HPS for both veg and flowering. I do my seedlings under a T8, which works out nice because I also have the T8 UV-A/UV-B reptile bulbs that I throw in for the last two weeks of flower.

You can probably drop the Bud Candy and supplement it with molasses or brown sugar, and as far as I know, the Big Bloom should contain all the trace elements and micronutrients you need.

I heard you're also supposed to use the added sugar towards the end of flower, not during the entire growth. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

If you're referring to the 600w as a 600w HPS for flower then you should get a really decent yield.

Learn about topping, supercropping, and get a scrog net. Your garden will be looking pretty dank.

Back
Top Bottom