The Deep Water Culture Home

Hydroe,
Welcome to 420, and welcome to the Deep Water Culture Home thread. I am glad you joined the site, and glad you dropped by our BH Home Thread. You came to the right place.
I hope you consider joining the BH club and displaying our logo proudly. The BHs are dedicated to helping new growers, to "paying it forward" for the next new grower tghat coems along.

You have asked for advice or criticism, and it would be so easy, much easier to be brief and tell you not to worry, you're doing fine. I mean they do look good. On the surface, skim reading or speed reading your statistics the first time, I tend to say not to worry, you're doing fine. They are not doing bad at all. You've done better than most new growers as far as you don't show any yellow tips, or signs of nute burn. I can tell by your statistics that you've done your homework and pre-study, for sure.

But that is not why you came here. You came to learn. You came to grow better. You came to be critiqued.

First, I have been given CLONES twice and I have made clones myself, several times. Much advantage in clones for you to know they are 100% females, and that is good. But all my experience tells me, and this is just my opinion, that clones do not measure up to starting with seeds as far as the rate of growth and the size or height they will reach compared to starting with a seed. I read a comparison once, that the writer used a star fish as an example. You can break off a limb, or part of a star fish, and the star fish will easily and naturally grow the limb back. BUT, the broken off limb can not grow an entire full size body back. I have broken off a limb or branch of a pot plant and of a tomato plant. The main mother plant always remains larger than the rooted branch or clone will grow. Thats just the way it is.

I have seen many, many Deep Water Culture grower brag and show pics of obtaining an inch of growth a day, everyday. I have posted three grows on the internet, one on this site, and every grow, I documented an inch of growth daily, from seed, to 32 inches in height in 32 days........or.......... from seed to 35 inches of height in 35 days, on over half the plants. BUT, I got some runts that did half of that. Weak genetics in some of the seeds was the reason. I also got some that grew more rapid, like 42 inches in 35 days, but they were al males..and males grow faster.
Anyway, ONE determining factor for your grow is you started with clones instead of seeds. BUT NOT the major problem of slow growth.

2, White Widow is a Dutch 60 - 40% Sativa-indica Strain, and the smoke is very powerful and the plants very unique with thier white color. BUT, all seed sellers of WW say they are not the largest or fastest growing plants and yields average 2 oz per plant at best. You can not expect as rapid a growth with WW, but agian, not the determining factor with your slower grow.

3, And here is one real NO-NO. You started with 24/7 of light, (that was great, I do 24/7 the entire VEg Cycle) the first week, then switched to 18/6 and then switched to 20/4hrs .
When you went to LESS light after the first week, you confused them, the plants thought summer was ending, and they started thinking about pre-flowering instead of growing larger. Then, you confused them more, by increasing the light from 18/6 to 20/4, telling them to not make pre-flowers, but to go back to VEGGING more. And when a plant gets confused, it stops growing or growing as fast, and it tends to hermie on you too.

4, frozen water in tank? BAD!

Hydroe,
Welcome to 420, and welcome to the Deep Water Culture Home thread. I am glad you joined the site, and glad you dropped by our BH Home Thread. You came to the right place.
I hope you consider joining the BH club and displaying our logo proudly. The BHs are dedicated to helping new growers, to "paying it forward" for the next new grower tghat coems along.

You have asked for advice or criticism, and it would be so easy, much easier to be brief and tell you not to worry, you're doing fine. I mean they do look good. On the surface, skim reading or speed reading your statistics the first time, I tend to say not to worry, you're doing fine. They are not doing bad at all. You've done better than most new growers as far as you don't show any yellow tips, or signs of nute burn. I can tell by your statistics that you've done your homework and pre-study, for sure.

But that is not why you came here. You came to learn. You came to grow better. You came to be critiqued.

First, I have been given CLONES twice and I have made clones myself, several times. Much advantage in clones for you to know they are 100% females, and that is good. But all my experience tells me, and this is just my opinion, that clones do not measure up to starting with seeds as far as the rate of growth and the size or height they will reach compared to starting with a seed. I read a comparison once, that the writer used a star fish as an example. You can break off a limb, or part of a star fish, and the star fish will easily and naturally grow the limb back. BUT, the broken off limb can not grow an entire full size body back. I have broken off a limb or branch of a pot plant and of a tomato plant. The main mother plant always remains larger than the rooted branch or clone will grow. Thats just the way it is.

I have seen many, many Deep Water Culture grower brag and show pics of obtaining an inch of growth a day, everyday. I have posted three grows on the internet, one on this site, and every grow, I documented an inch of growth daily, from seed, to 32 inches in height in 32 days........or.......... from seed to 35 inches of height in 35 days, on over half the plants. BUT, I got some runts that did half of that. Weak genetics in some of the seeds was the reason. I also got some that grew more rapid, like 42 inches in 35 days, but they were al males..and males grow faster.
Anyway, ONE determining factor for your grow is you started with clones instead of seeds. BUT NOT the major problem of slow growth.

2, White Widow is a Dutch 60 - 40% Sativa-indica Strain, and the smoke is very powerful and the plants very unique with thier white color. BUT, all seed sellers of WW say they are not the largest or fastest growing plants and yields average 2 oz per plant at best. You can not expect as rapid a growth with WW, but agian, not the determining factor with your slower grow.

3, And here is one real NO-NO. You started with 24/7 of light, (that was great, I do 24/7 the entire VEg Cycle) the first week, then switched to 18/6 and then switched to 20/4hrs .
When you went to LESS light after the first week, you confused them, the plants thought summer was ending, and they started thinking about pre-flowering instead of growing larger. Then, you confused them more, by increasing the light from 18/6 to 20/4, telling them to not make pre-flowers, but to go back to VEGGING more. And when a plant gets confused, it stops growing or growing as fast, and it tends to hermie on you too.

Another great post Roseman as always.

MostlyCrazy, thanks for the encouragement, I think your 100% right about patience being one of the hardest parts, I just have to know that I've done my part and let them do theirs I suppose. Yes sir/mam they are fem seeds, thats why I'm hoping to grow them as healthy as I can to get clones.

About the roots though, thats another thing that makes me wonder, they have been in the water for a while now, I took the water pump out a week or so ago. But like I said, I am very inexperienced so I may just be overthinking it but I just want to be doing all I can so they can do all they can {:^)

You know the people at StealthHydro say that is an 8 gallon tank, and use 6 gallons of water. An old Deep Water Culture named Social smoker put it to the test, and it is really a TEN gallon tank, still asking us to use 6 gallons of water.
I like a one to two inch air pocket between the bottom of the cups and the top of the water line so I sue 6 and half to 7 gallons of water. It gives me more roots in the water faster, and the roots reach the water faster.

You have a BIG air pocket, trying adding more water.

MostlyCrazy, thanks for the encouragement, I think your 100% right about patience being one of the hardest parts, I just have to know that I've done my part and let them do theirs I suppose. Yes sir/mam they are fem seeds, thats why I'm hoping to grow them as healthy as I can to get clones.

About the roots though, thats another thing that makes me wonder, they have been in the water for a while now, I took the water pump out a week or so ago. But like I said, I am very inexperienced so I may just be overthinking it but I just want to be doing all I can so they can do all they can {:^)

AND, as politely as I can say it, the site has rules about posting pics and uploading pics. We are supposed to upload the pics to 420 frist, and nto use photobucket.
A MOD will come along soon and assist you and point you in the right direction of how to post pics here.

Thanks Ben. I am not sure what detail people will need to help you. I suppose if you aren't doing a traditional grow and are going to pump water in and such they will need to know all that.

Your plants look great.

it will be traditional bubbles ,im not going to have an extra res ,ill have 1 tub in veg and 1 in flower,im making a sealed double door out of the divider wal in the room that way when flower gets done and veg are ready to move i can harvest then move the veg tub into the flower room,take the flower tub out ,clean it really good,then start veg over again in it,sound good?

Hello bendog240, I have Roseman's whole Guide saved to my computer! heh

About how much they drink, thats a very good question because in a weeks time, I cant honestly say they drink any real amount, it seems the water level stay around the same mark. Which is kinda weird to me, but theres only 2 plants in the res instead of 4 or 6 so maybe they dont drink much? I try to give them an airbath at least once a week

As I stated in my previous post to you, I think they are in a slight growth shock from changing the light cycle twice.

skinwins, couldnt have said it any better myself. it seem like only yesterday i was saying that phrase, "ohh shit there beast what do I do there out growing my space" . but that sure is a good problem to have.

Hey, old friend, hows it hanging? Did you get al moved and established in your new home? I think you said you was moving to where you couldn't do a grow yet, if I remember correctly.

I hope you hang around and visit more often.
Have you voted in the Member of the Month Contest yet?

Sounds good to me. Only thing is what I believe fry said, if you have too many plants in flower you will have issues. You need room to take care of them. Also if you end up with six in one tub do you have a plan to move them?

i know that this isent really necessary but would it increase anything if AFTER the roots hit the water take out the pump tubes and replace the tubes with misters in the corners of the res??im just bored thinking and decided to ask,,i know there is no real reason for the pump after they hit the water because of heat/clogging and ph issues but just a thought.

that would work fine. Not very necesary, but it will work.

Hydroe welcome to our happy home.

I saw two things but one may be my eyes. Firstly the roots in the back looked brown. I am not sure they were. I am just finishing my WW and if you look around 10 weeks back you will see I had a huge root problem. The roots refused to grow and then one day they took off like there was no tomorrow. It might be a WW thing. They were slow.

The leaves on your plants look great to me.

Secondly, you have a frozen water bottle in your tank. From what I read that is a big no no. That might be slowing your growth and the roots might be in shock and not wanting to drink. If you need to cool the water which I need to do ever day, here is two methods.

1-Leave a frozen bottle in the freezer to reuse. Pull water from you tank into a bucket. Put frozen bottle in it can cool the water. Place water back in tank and frozen bottle back in freezer. Make sure you frozen bottle is clean.

2-This is the method I use which works as well. I use a gallon jug. I pull out a gallon of water from the tank and place it in the freezer. My freezer it takes around two hours. It does at that point even get ice chunks in it. The chunks don't go into the tank. I put the water back in the tank. I then pull some more out to melt the ice in the jug and put that back as well. It cools my tank about 10 degrees. I do it twice a day if it is real hot.

I will never grow in the summer again to avoid these issues. I expected my plants to be done weeks ago but they were slow. You saw my OBW which I harvested yesterday. The ww should be done within a week.

Dang, alien8, you're getting good. They are going to start calling you Lady MC, or Little Roseman soon! LOL

Hey fellow Deep Water Culture

I just returned from my 2 week whirlwind tour in China, visiting the following cities;
Shanghai
Ningbo
Yuhaun
Beijing
Tianjin

For those who may remember, I had a quest to find the jade bong I had seen in an earlier trip, but I was unsuccessful in finding it on this trip. Oh well.

Anyway, I'll log back on later. Right now I have the ultimate case of jet lag. Flying from Beijing to Chicago took 13 hours, another 2 hr layover and 2 hour flight to Boston, and a 3 hour car ride back home. I am burnt.

Peace

Sam

Wow, ain't you the international traveler?

We've been missing you Sam. You're a very knowledgable grower with soem great advice to fofer. I hope you'll visit back more often now.

Have you voted in the Member of the Month Contest? Nug Contest? Plant Contest?

oh and ive got new pics of my grow to here is the top veiw,
HNI_00312.JPG

there are more pics on the journal

google sketchup its free ,i just messed with it until i figured it out lol its not hard tho

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

The picture of health!

Sounds good to me. Only thing is what I believe fry said, if you have too many plants in flower you will have issues. You need room to take care of them. Also if you end up with six in one tub do you have a plan to move them?

i just measured the room it is 4'x6'x10', the 40 gal tub can hold 8 i think,looks like it at least,,ive got one here and plotted out the net pot holes and they fit 8 a little wider apart then the SH does 6 so i think i should be good,,thats the reason for the double door,so after i harvst in the flower room i can take the res out through the original closet door and then move the the ones from the veg room through that double door into the flower room,shut the (sealed)double doors and move the other res into the veg room. but the room size im a little worried about,,when these get into flowering ill know more of what im looking forward to.

ironically criminal justice, but i intend to put it towards being a lawyer and defending non-violent drug offenders and possibly other non-violent crimes.
Alien8 that nug is very impressive nice job :welldone:
On a side note though I hate to rag on SH as well, but have yet to receive a tracking number for my package I ordered on the 31st. They also told me via e-mail I could only apply one discount so I had to go with using only MEMORIAL instead of Deep Water Culture for my order so sad haha, but still can't wait to get started!

I know a Deep Water Culture who is a city policeman. He grows and smokes. He quit posting 3 or 4 months ago.

I was really not comfortable being his friend.

Ben, if all the plants would be female in a SH system they wouldn't fit. So by your explanation if you get all females yours won't either. You need a plan in case you are lucky enough to get 8 females.

i just measured the room it is 4'x6'x10', the 40 gal tub can hold 8 i think,looks like it at least,,ive got one here and plotted out the net pot holes and they fit 8 a little wider apart then the SH does 6 so i think i should be good,,thats the reason for the double door,so after i harvst in the flower room i can take the res out through the original closet door and then move the the ones from the veg room through that double door into the flower room,shut the (sealed)double doors and move the other res into the veg room. but the room size im a little worried about,,when these get into flowering ill know more of what im looking forward to.

Take it from me and do not put that many plants in a system like that.. I tried it, I started with 18 in 3 systems of 6 ea. and now 3 wks into flower only 13 of them are worth anything.The yeild im looking at now is about 1/3 of what should be with that many plants.in the veg stage you can cram them in tight but when you go to flower that many plants in a small space like that you will run into issues of space, I found that only a few of my plants were getting light being so packed in the small space. and im flowering with a 1000w HPS. 8 plants in a system is going to rob 4 or 5 of them of light...I have also found that having plants too close together causes a bit of a heat issue.. well it did for me.... after I moved them into an Emergency flower shelter my temps went way down with the plants spread out, they need space to relax and sprawl out, so to speak...from what I have found when they are in a tight space you are just asking for frusteration and hastles..

Back
Top Bottom