How are things growing at you place?
Got 5 in the raised beds. The TMSC are in the white low ones. A little late on the planting but heck, these will grow for a long time before its time to chop in October. Happy 420, enjoy the weekend!
20240420_093316.jpg

I’ve got a lot of white and brown mites in my worm bins. Too wet or too much food or both? I’m gonna split the bin in half and run 2 bins so I can get better airflow while I learn how to balance better. Any thoughts or standout mistakes in this plan?

I know nothing about a worm bin, however, you are creating a world for the micro and macro organisms and so there's bound to be new ies moving into the environment to add to the ecosystem of your worm bin.

Yep. Since a new environment is being established there will be a push and pull of the players as they balance out. It’s one of the advantages of reusing soil, that balance has been established and reinforced.

they look colonized on two objects, they must be attracted to whatever that particular matter is that they're grouped upon.

Yep, these are white mites which are detritivores. They’re attracted to the decomposing organic matter. In a soil food web environment they’d be welcome as they help to break down organic matter quicker and make the nutrients available. In my bin, they will compete with the worms for food, and in some cases will attack weaker worms. Since I want this to be a worm farm, I don’t want them facing competition for food.

You could probably get rid of them by just wide spoon scooping them out as a group. Worth a try?

I could do that or I could place pieces of melon or veggies on the surface. They’ll all gang up on it and I can remove them that way. That’s a band aid though and doesn’t fix the issues that led to this occurring. They would just show back up unless I fix what I’m doing wrong.

This is a great example of experience trumping knowledge. I know what’s going on and why it’s happening, yet I’m still having issues with applying the knowledge practically.

I don’t have any leachate coming out so I’m hard pressed to believe it’s too wet. I may be over feeding, food chunks may be too large, and I may have the bin too full of bedding making it difficult for good airflow.

So I just found this when reading through the manual:

IMG_8375.jpeg

Too dry may be a possibility. Like I said, there is no leachate, and I don’t water the bin at all.

@Azimuth @Stunger @Gee64 and anyone else that worm farms Starting at Message 3743

I’ll also add there is no odor issue, no ants, nor fruit flies or regular flies. Just the mites. White and red/brown, but more white.

So I just found this when reading through the manual:

IMG_8375.jpeg

Too dry may be a possibility. Like I said, there is no leachate, and I don’t water the bin at all.

@Azimuth @Stunger @Gee64 and anyone else that worm farms Starting at Message 3743
From the few worm bins I've seen it looks too dry to me. I remember the surface being covered with wet leaves or cardboard under the lid and then worms with food and casting below that.

Grandma also had a tap in the bottom to collect excess water/feed and you could split the bin in two layers if I remember correctly.

Cheers!

I was keeping damp newspaper on the top but I removed it a few days ago when I first noticed the mites. Their population has increased since then so I sprayed the top and laid the newspaper back down.
IMG_8377.jpeg

There’s already more worm action up top. However as can be seen here the tap is bone dry

IMG_8376.jpeg

The worms are also bunching up around the sides close to the bottom, you don’t see many in the middle or in the top layers. The entire bin may be too dry and the worms aren’t able to get to the food before the mites.

Got 5 in the raised beds. The TMSC are in the white low ones. A little late on the planting but heck, these will grow for a long time before its time to chop in October. Happy 420, enjoy the weekend!
20240420_093316.jpg
Nice G! Those will be epic!😎 I like the nasturtiums too, the wife makes me start a bunch for her every year. You gotta keep us posted.

I was keeping damp newspaper on the top but I removed it a few days ago when I first noticed the mites. Their population has increased since then so I sprayed the top and laid the newspaper back down.
IMG_8377.jpeg

There’s already more worm action up top. However as can be seen here the tap is bone dry

IMG_8376.jpeg

The worms are also bunching up around the sides close to the bottom, you don’t see many in the middle or in the top layers. The entire bin may be too dry and the worms aren’t able to get to the food before the mites.
I get a bit of lecheate but not excess. You will see all sorts of bugs come and go. They balance themselves out.

Oyster shell is the only calcium I add, plus I use used soil which has all 3 calciums in it, and I still get the white mites.

Not infestations, but if I lay zucinni rings on top they will be the 1st to find it and it will look like lots, but then they disappear again. I let it do whatever it wants and never overwater it and never leave scraps on the surface and it just works all on it's own.

It will get skanky and wet if you over feed it. Most of the bugs will stay up in the top tray. Once you put another tray on top they will migrate up following the fresh food.

Back
Top Bottom