I have wondered about this as the buds of some plants can be not exactly frosty and yet they kick really well.
I have to admit, I honestly thought it would be a dud, yet it was quite strong. Had it went to maturity I'm sure it would have been very strong.

It makes me wonder if "crystal" is something bred in for bag appeal.

Maybe a large crystal contains the same amount of thc as a small one and the rest of the liquid in the crystal isn't phsycoactive?

I have no idea thats an honest question I have, not a sarcastic remark. I have never been interested or involved in cannabinoid testing, I just love growing things.

Anyone got any practical input here?

Back in the 70's and early 80's when all weed was imported, columbian, cambodian, thai, mexican, take your pick, never had crystal all over it. Yet it was a really strong cerebral head stone. This is very similar. More red hairs, but the rest is very similar.

TMSC - Day 50 of Flower.

Gee got home too late for pictures. He missed lights out by 1 minute. Azi ate the crayons again too so no pics.

This morning I brixed Ikky and she's up to 15😎. So 3 dolomite waterings, 1 topdressing, and 1 fish water stopped the calcium deficiency and restored brix👍😎😊.

Edit: 2 topdressings. 1 immediately upon deficiency and then 1 scheduled one.

Ikky's a killer, she knows how to perform. Her calcium line wasn't perfect, but it was a bit fuzzy so there is still room for improvement and weight is starting, her buds are chunking fast now.

20240521_181418.jpg

#2 is starting to shape in beautifully since I topped her. She would be better in flower than as a Mother. Maybe I will grow her outdoors and use #4 as a Mother.

20240521_181425.jpg

#4. She is taller and less christmas tree-like but I could quad her and flatten her out to a Mother. The Gaia 2.0 mix gives them a great color. Excess nitro is almost gone.

Day 55 of 60 in Stalag 13.

20240521_181412.jpg

I had to root drench them today. They wouldn't have made it for 5 more days. No food yet tho, only RO water.

20240521_181344.jpg

They are doing better under the soil than above.

20240521_181339.jpg

Programming (?) almost complete.

20240521_181330.jpg

They grew both fuzzy feeder roots and water roots. They will try anything to survive. Amazing. Since putting the cuttings in the soil I have only watered them twice before today. Just RO each time.

In 5 more days they will get Gaia 2.0 mix and a spoiled life. In theory this was a programmed seed and then these programmed clones.

If this seed programming thing is true, 10-14 days after transplant they should literally explode.

I have my doubts but I also hope it's true. I'm kinda excited, I almost uppotted them today but I must go to day 60.

Soon Girls, hang in there. 5 more sleeps.

I have to admit, I honestly thought it would be a dud, yet it was quite strong. Had it went to maturity I'm sure it would have been very strong.

Maybe a large crystal contains the same amount of thc as a small one and the rest of the liquid in the crystal isn't phsycoactive?

I have no idea thats an honest question I have, not a sarcastic remark. I have never been interested or involved in cannabinoid testing, I just love growing things.

Back in the 70's and early 80's when all weed was imported, columbian, cambodian, thai, mexican, take your pick, never had crystal all over it. Yet it was a really strong cerebral head stone. This is very similar. More red hairs, but the rest is very similar.

I’ve had my doubts that trichomes are our main focus for a while now if a quality buzz is what you’re looking for. The best plants and highs I’ve gotten have come from a focus on resin over everything. Whether it’s vegging for 60 days or pressing flower until it oozes. When a plant is going to be a really high quality buzz, you can taste the resin on the back of your tongue. I’ve grown plants after a 30 day veg with so many trichomes the buds were fuzzy, yet I was disappointed in the high. I’ve grown buds that had 60 days veg, almost no visible trichomes, but had that classic resin taste on my tongue and I spent the next 3 to 4 hours grinning.

All of this leads me to believe that resin is just as, if not more important than trichomes. Although I also strongly believe in the entourage effect. It’s why I prefer flower buzzes over all other methods. They’re the fullest and most complete highs, and I think it’s an entourage effect between resin and trichomes.

I’ve had my doubts that trichomes are our main focus for a while now if a quality buzz is what you’re looking for. The best plants and highs I’ve gotten have come from a focus on resin over everything. Whether it’s vegging for 60 days or pressing flower until it oozes. When a plant is going to be a really high quality buzz, you can taste the resin on the back of your tongue. I’ve grown plants after a 30 day veg with so many trichomes the buds were fuzzy, yet I was disappointed in the high. I’ve grown buds that had 60 days veg, almost no visible trichomes, but had that classic resin taste on my tongue and I spent the next 3 to 4 hours grinning.

All of this leads me to believe that resin is just as, if not more important than trichomes. Although I also strongly believe in the entourage effect. It’s why I prefer flower buzzes over all other methods. They’re the fullest and most complete highs, and I think it’s an entourage effect between resin and trichomes.
Ok scuze my ignorance here but I thought the resin was contained in the trichomes. I concur though with my own anecdotal experience. Very often the African Sativas that I like are more hairy than covered in crystals, similar to this.

I’ve had my doubts that trichomes are our main focus for a while now if a quality buzz is what you’re looking for. The best plants and highs I’ve gotten have come from a focus on resin over everything. Whether it’s vegging for 60 days or pressing flower until it oozes. When a plant is going to be a really high quality buzz, you can taste the resin on the back of your tongue.
I miss that taste. New designer strains, which are pretty much every strain in a seeds shop it seems, don't have that.
I’ve grown plants after a 30 day veg with so many trichomes the buds were fuzzy, yet I was disappointed in the high. I’ve grown buds that had 60 days veg, almost no visible trichomes, but had that classic resin taste on my tongue and I spent the next 3 to 4 hours grinning.
All of this leads me to believe that resin is just as, if not more important than trichomes. Although I also strongly believe in the entourage effect. It’s why I prefer flower buzzes over all other methods.
I only smoke flower. I miss old school blacl hash which was very abundant in the mid 80's and would love some of that again, but now that you mention the resin tadte on thee tongue, it had it too.
They’re the fullest and most complete highs, and I think it’s an entourage effect between resin and trichomes.
Matts weed from TMSC seems to have these missing qualities😊. I can't wait to harvest Iklwa. The RVDV clones too, but Ikky is only a couple weeks from chop, it's gonna be a fun Summer, and I still have Wild Lady, LC-18, and a couple freebees he tossed in.

One being that dreaded "use your seatbelt" Malawi lol, and I can't remember the name of the other right now but I'm sure it's another uncut gem🥰.

Gonna be a great year after the Summer too I suppose.😊

If this Gaia trial fails again I will just go back to Rev's mix and get down to business and quit screwing around, but if I can get this Gaia mix figured out, its just so damn easy. Ammendments, topdressing, and tea all in 1 bag, all I need to add is dolomite😎

I would love to make it work to share with everyone so if someone just wanted to do an organic run to try organics out, or if they wanted organics but they aren't as nerdy as you or I, they could just grow successfully with a minimal amount of instructions.

The only other ingredients are fish ferts, molasses for a tea, EWC, and myco. And if it works, the tea will just be for a microbe boost at uppotting for flower as I'm hoping I won't need a rescue this round.

The small pots may, but hopefully not in a 10gal.

Hmmm, I guess I need to run a 10gal....
Ok scuze my ignorance here but I thought the resin was contained in the trichomes. I concur though with my own anecdotal experience. Very often the African Sativas that I like are more hairy than covered in crystals, similar to this.
I think when Keff says resin, he refers to the sap running thru the plant, or the actual thc content in the trichs, not the whole trich. I'm not sure tho, but I find myself realizing that the size of the trich doesn't mean shit.

Dang marketing! 🤣

Either way, you SA folks are so spoiled. I'm just happy to have a slice of your pie🥰😊😎.

Now I want some pink pistils like the one you grew. Those were so gorgeous🥰.

Too bad load shedding screws you up for photo's Carmen. You could put on such a beautiful display of local genetics.

A 12 foot monster on your kitchen table! You could eat in the tree fort!

🤣🤣🤣😍😍😍

Good morning Gee! Going to have early summer here today and get an 80's day today! 26.6 c. WooHoo! Won't last so I'm heading out asap! Giant hat on head!
Sweet! Enjoy it😎. We are having the opposite. It's fairly warm but we are midway thru a week of rain. 2nd time this year. I'm in a desert so it's a rarity but I will take it! Grass pollen is high right now so rain is a godsend🥰. I haven't had to water the gardens for almost a week! Yesssssss

I don’t know if it’s practical but I’ll say this: I’ve grown plenty of weed that’s ultra frosty on the outside. Those are invariably great. I’ve also grown plenty of weed that’s not so frosty on the outside, but get you way way higher than some of the ultra frosty ones. The point is, the frost exists from the stem to the outside. The trichomes we picture are simply the most external ones. But the identical thing goes all through the bud. Some strains are simply more outwardly frosty than others. But it often is irrelevant to the whole.

Another related whatever. In my opinion, it’s easy to affect the size, volume, or blanket of trichomes on the outside. Many of us do, via dark time, or drought, or whatever. However, also in my opinion, these techniques only affect the outermost trichomes. With the possible exception of drought. Seems to me that logically that should affect all the trichomes equally. Inner, outer, all of them.

Two cents.

I don’t know if it’s practical but I’ll say this: I’ve grown plenty of weed that’s ultra frosty on the outside. Those are invariably great. I’ve also grown plenty of weed that’s not so frosty on the outside, but get you way way higher than some of the ultra frosty ones. The point is, the frost exists from the stem to the outside. The trichomes we picture are simply the most external ones. But the identical thing goes all through the bud. Some strains are simply more outwardly frosty than others. But it often is irrelevant to the whole.
That makes so much sense as to what I'm seeing and finding.
Another related whatever. In my opinion, it’s easy to affect the size, volume, or blanket of trichomes on the outside. Many of us do, via dark time, or drought, or whatever. However, also in my opinion, these techniques only affect the outermost trichomes. With the possible exception of drought. Seems to me that logically that should affect all the trichomes equally. Inner, outer, all of them.

Two cents.
Again, you raise a very logical point. Only the outer trichs would develop sunscreen abilities. I think I'm going to take a full nug, bang all the loose outer trichs off, and see how it smokes. You might be on to something here Jon😊👍👊

This is my fault, I worded my comment poorly, I should’ve been asleep when I made it.

Cannabis has multiple types of trichomes. Those we can see easily, and those we cannot. If I remember correctly, some of these trichomes are located within the plant just below the surface. These trichomes are where a lot of what we’re interested in, are produced, and stored.

However, like with many other things in life, more and bigger is not always better. There’s something to be said for an average yielding plant with extremely high quality. Personally I will take high quality over high quantity every time.

Trichomes can be viewed more like factories and warehouses, than the actual product we want. They produce and store the resin we are interested, and that resin contains the terpenes, flavonoids, and cannabinoids we want. So it’s not the trichomes themselves we desire but the product they’re storing. Now the reason we see greater quality/high from Sativas, and especially those SA sativas is due to their proximity to the equator.

“The exact benefit of cannabinoids and terpenes for the plant has yet to be discovered but several findings point to defense-related functions. This is consistent with a common role of trichomes in many plant species (Levin, 1973). Early studies have also hypothesized that THC protects against ultraviolet (UV) radiation, as cannabis plants produce significantly elevated levels of THC when exposed to higher levels of UVB radiation, possibly resulting in the development of geographical chemotypes (Pate, 1983). A recent study found that CBD could be a potential sunscreen additive as its application to human keratinocyte and melanocyte cells led to improved cell viability after exposure to UVB radiation, suggesting that cannabinoids protect cells against this type of potentially DNA-damaging radiation and supporting the geographical chemotype hypothesis (Gohad et al., 2020). These findings indicate that cannabinoids may be secreted and concentrated around flowers to protect the reproductive organs – and thereby the next generation – from the effects of sun damage; genotypes that originate from closer to the equator will produce higher levels of cannabinoids due to the higher incidence of UVB radiation in that region.”

So yes, we want trichomes, but only because they produce and store the product we actually want within them. The product within is something we can focus on with better growing practices like longer veg, better nutrition density, etc.

That makes so much sense as to what I'm seeing and finding.

Again, you raise a very logical point. Only the outer trichs would develop sunscreen abilities. I think I'm going to take a full nug, bang all the loose outer trichs off, and see how it smokes. You might be on to something here Jon😊👍👊
Trying to contribute Gee. This is the most challenging thread in which to do so. Lol.

This is my fault, I worded my comment poorly, I should’ve been asleep when I made it.

Cannabis has multiple types of trichomes. Those we can see easily, and those we cannot. If I remember correctly, some of these trichomes are located within the plant just below the surface. These trichomes are where a lot of what we’re interested in, are produced, and stored.

However, like with many other things in life, more and bigger is not always better. There’s something to be said for an average yielding plant with extremely high quality. Personally I will take high quality over high quantity every time.

Trichomes can be viewed more like factories and warehouses, than the actual product we want. They produce and store the resin we are interested, and that resin contains the terpenes, flavonoids, and cannabinoids we want. So it’s not the trichomes themselves we desire but the product they’re storing. Now the reason we see greater quality/high from Sativas, and especially those SA sativas is due to their proximity to the equator.

“The exact benefit of cannabinoids and terpenes for the plant has yet to be discovered but several findings point to defense-related functions. This is consistent with a common role of trichomes in many plant species (Levin, 1973). Early studies have also hypothesized that THC protects against ultraviolet (UV) radiation, as cannabis plants produce significantly elevated levels of THC when exposed to higher levels of UVB radiation, possibly resulting in the development of geographical chemotypes (Pate, 1983). A recent study found that CBD could be a potential sunscreen additive as its application to human keratinocyte and melanocyte cells led to improved cell viability after exposure to UVB radiation, suggesting that cannabinoids protect cells against this type of potentially DNA-damaging radiation and supporting the geographical chemotype hypothesis (Gohad et al., 2020). These findings indicate that cannabinoids may be secreted and concentrated around flowers to protect the reproductive organs – and thereby the next generation – from the effects of sun damage; genotypes that originate from closer to the equator will produce higher levels of cannabinoids due to the higher incidence of UVB radiation in that region.”

So yes, we want trichomes, but only because they produce and store the product we actually want within them. The product within is something we can focus on with better growing practices like longer veg, better nutrition density, etc.
Awesome stuff Keff! Thank You. It must have been a good sleep!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Awesome stuff Keff! Thank You. It must have been a good sleep!🤣🤣🤣🤣

I slept in today 😂 so yes it was good 🤣

(I don’t miss having babies and toddlers)

Trying to contribute Gee. This is the most challenging thread in which to do so. Lol.
Well I will be honest with you all. I know a shit ton about soil and how plants grow, but I don't know a lot about cannabis itself.

You don't need too to grow it, you just need strong balanced high calcium soil and a good seed dealer, so any info about cannabis itself, not about growing it, really makes my little bum sing😊.

Contribute away my friend👊

I miss that taste. New designer strains, which are pretty much every strain in a seeds shop it seems, don't have that.
I have the last of some Parmesan I grew. That stuff has that resin taste on the tongue. I will be growing it again some future date.
I only smoke flower. I miss old school blacl hash which was very abundant in the mid 80's and would love some of that again, but now that you mention the resin tadte on thee tongue, it had it too.

Matts weed from TMSC seems to have these missing qualities😊. I can't wait to harvest Iklwa. The RVDV clones too, but Ikky is only a couple weeks from chop, it's gonna be a fun Summer, and I still have Wild Lady, LC-18, and a couple freebees he tossed in.

One being that dreaded "use your seatbelt" Malawi lol, and I can't remember the name of the other right now but I'm sure it's another uncut gem🥰.

Gonna be a great year after the Summer too I suppose.😊

If this Gaia trial fails again I will just go back to Rev's mix and get down to business and quit screwing around, but if I can get this Gaia mix figured out, its just so damn easy. Ammendments, topdressing, and tea all in 1 bag, all I need to add is dolomite😎

I would love to make it work to share with everyone so if someone just wanted to do an organic run to try organics out, or if they wanted organics but they aren't as nerdy as you or I, they could just grow successfully with a minimal amount of instructions.

The only other ingredients are fish ferts, molasses for a tea, EWC, and myco. And if it works, the tea will just be for a microbe boost at uppotting for flower as I'm hoping I won't need a rescue this round.
I found a better product Gee man. I'm set. I will be ordering it this week.
The small pots may, but hopefully not in a 10gal.

Hmmm, I guess I need to run a 10gal....

I think when Keff says resin, he refers to the sap running thru the plant, or the actual thc content in the trichs, not the whole trich. I'm not sure tho, but I find myself realizing that the size of the trich doesn't mean shit.

Dang marketing! 🤣

Either way, you SA folks are so spoiled. I'm just happy to have a slice of your pie🥰😊😎.

Now I want some pink pistils like the one you grew. Those were so gorgeous🥰.

Too bad load shedding screws you up for photo's Carmen. You could put on such a beautiful display of local genetics.
I know right.
A 12 foot monster on your kitchen table! You could eat in the tree fort!

🤣🤣🤣😍😍😍
:rofl: freak me tfo lol

Thank you. I thought so.
Me too.
This I knew. Isn't this the reason that certain regions simply cannot grow 0.3 % THC hemp? The hemp will test over every time.

😋

Back
Top Bottom