The Stinky Breeders - Cannabis Workers Unite Project # 1

Here's a breeding discussion:
I have three jacks smack males and one chocolope female and one critical kush female.
Trying to decide what to do. One of my males showed sex a day before the others and matured a little faster. Otherwise the three look Similiar. Similar node spacing, growth rate, leaf shape, etc.

So in was going to toss two males and keep the slightly fast one. What do you guys think? Or should I keep all three or what? And why?

I've had this page open on my phone browser for a week and finally got time to read the 3 pages. I'm looking forward to this, just started reading into breeding myself with the "cannabis breeders bible" is this a reputable book?

I&I

(You ever need a third environment, dutty knows how to reach me ;) )

I have three jacks smack males and one chocolope female and one critical kush female.
Trying to decide what to do. One of my males showed sex a day before the others and matured a little faster. Otherwise the three look Similiar. Similar node spacing, growth rate, leaf shape, etc.

So in was going to toss two males and keep the slightly fast one. What do you guys think? Or should I keep all three or what? And why?

Did you grow the jack to bloom yet?
Did you enjoy certain traits?

If there's certain traits you really really enjoy keep one around.

I've had this page open on my phone browser for a week and finally got time to read the 3 pages. I'm looking forward to this, just started reading into breeding myself with the "cannabis breeders bible" is this a reputable book?

I&I

(You ever need a third environment, dutty knows how to reach me ;) )

You are nice and close!!

You are nice and close!!

I Make the drive bout once every other week. I can bring a vashon island clone. They claim to be land races, I'd love for you to show to your friend here and let me know what you think. I have a sativa and indica, sativa was crossed with the indica. Sweet baby jane, old island indica. Sbj is really really sweet and super sticky Takes longer as its a 90/10 indica/sativa the oii is more diesel smelling solid rocks and is full indica. Mine were all started by regular seeds from vashon seed co

I&I

I Make the drive bout once every other week. I can bring a vashon island clone. They claim to be land races, I'd love for you to show to your friend here and let me know what you think. I have a sativa and indica, sativa was crossed with the indica. Sweet baby jane, old island indica. Sbj is really really sweet and super sticky Takes longer as its a 90/10 indica/sativa the oii is more diesel smelling solid rocks and is full indica. Mine were all started by regular seeds from vashon seed co

I&I

Yes I know one of the owners of exotic genetics and they even commented on Vashon killing it. Both having such local roots too.

Yes I know one of the owners of exotic genetics and they even commented on Vashon killing it. Both having such local roots too.

I've been impressed with them. Out of 24 beans Iversion culled her down to 10 and it's hard to pick a mother of each out of them. pretty sure I know which two I'm wanting but waiting on dry weight and smoke test to see exactlt. Been a insanely busy last 2 weeks, had a grower friend bring his material by to be washed and i had to trim that shit, pulled about 4 lbs of trim that wasn't usable out. Then when I finished washing his material mine was ready to go down. Been fun bUT looks like I missed a TON of fun on 420mag. I've Been making videos on utube recently, pretty fun..

I&I

Did you grow the jack to bloom yet?
Did you enjoy certain traits?

If there's certain traits you really really enjoy keep one around.

I have not grown it yet. Just started a new strain and got three males and figured I might as well cross with my good females.

I would cull the Male that showed sex early, and choose between the remaining two. First rub stems right at the node, smell and 1 point for the most desirable, make sure to use clean hands and don't rub both plants with the same hand, left hand for one right for the other, do it a few times rub and sniff, close your eyes to focus on smell, really try to pick out all the smells, as you continue to smell your nose will go blind to the certain terpenes and you will only be able to smell the dominant one, so between smelling plants leave the room stick your nose in some coffee grounds, go outside get some fresh air and repeat, 1 point for the winner.

If the remaining two are very similar in structure and leaf Phyllotaxy, I would take two mature leaflets from mid way up the plant from each plant, so in all you will have 4 leaflets. This is what your going to do, you are going to have a cup of coffee or something to cleanse your pallet (taste buds), after rinsing the leaf from Male #1 put the leaf in your mouth, and chew it, take note as much as possible of the immediate taste and try and write down your thoughts, swallow or spit up to you. Cleanse with coffee, wait till the taste from Leaf #1 is gone, do the same for #2, one point for the winner.

The third test may require a light weight smoker, but your going to dry and smoke each leaf and test the buzz, usually only a light weight can tell, it will smoke harsh and likely taste like shit but if one is more potent than the other that's the one you want.

Hope this helps :)

Some great info! Why do I kill the first male? Isn't faster bloom better?

If your goal is to have a fast plant then yes, but genes are linked, fast males are also linked with Fiber production and Hermie traits, so it is always a toss up. I am okay with 60 - 80 days, every now and then I will try a super long Sativa for the experience, But IMO speed is great if you can only grow a couple plants and you have little space and you power through your stash real quick.

most people now can grow more than enough stash to get them through a few months, if your circumstances are different you may want things to go quicker but in my experience the quicker things go the more the law of diminishing returns applies. A more mature older plant will always produce more THC, this is why some strains clones seem to flower better or be more productive, because the clone is actually more mature than the original parents.

So it depends on your goals... I don't think your going to benefit from the earlier males as much as you would from the better floral structure and stem structure.

Also you should know typically males will add to the quantity, while females add to the quality, so if you want not such a smell strain pic the least smelly male, if you want a stinker like I do pick the Smelly male.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for coming along Sweet Sue Always love your nice commentary :)

I'm not sure how much I can offer to this conversation. :laughtwo: You guys are speaking a language that sounds like gibberish to me, but aki is developing a strain named for me, so I think it appropriate that I learn what I can about the process.

Can you suggest a thread or site that would be a good place to learn the fundamentals? I'd like to be able to understand what you're all saying.

Back
Top Bottom