TIG2's Second Grow - CoCo Hempy OC+ Grow - 2012

TIG2

Hi everyone. It was time late in December to fire up the HID lights and add a little heat to the basement.

My first grow journal ended abruptly when I ran out of time to post. The grow was successful and has provided medicine for the year.

I tried another grow on completion of the first but the HID lights were heating the room to the upper 90's F and the peak summer temperatures had not arrived yet. My choice was run the Air Conditioning or stop the grow. I chose to stop the grow and composted the plants.

Five Feminized Strains (1 each):
- World of Seeds Medical Collection - Northern Lights x Big Bud:
- Female Cannabis Seeds Grapefruit Kush
- Buddha Quasar
- White label White Ice
- Moby Dick

Media and Nutrients:
- 50% Coco and 50% Pearlite
- Dolomite lime, OC+
- GH flora, bloom and micro for foliar feeding
- Cal-Mag

Water:
- Well water - 160 ppm cold (190 ppm hot)
- pH 7.4 -
- Water treated with a Water softener using potassium salt and an aeration system and sand bed filter to remove iron and manganese .

Available Lights:
- 1 250 W with either CMH and sodium lamps.
- 3 400 W with CMH, MH conversion and sodium (standard, Agrosun Red, and Son Agro)
- 1 1000 W dual spectrum
- 2 Reptile Hi UV (10.0) CFL lights
- 1 68 W CFL (300 W incandescent equivalent)

The seedlings were started with a 400 W CMH on 18 hours a day.

The lights are currently on 12 hours a day. These plants are under the 1000W light and the 3 CFL lights. Additional light is provided by a 400 W CMH and 250W Sodium over some pepper and other plants in the grow room.

The seeds were soaked in tap water until they split and planted in solo cups of Coco.

For this grow I started many seeds which did not germinate including two Tangerine Dream and 5 Cannatonic.

The Northern Lights x Big Bud is 4 or 5 weeks older than the other plants. It was only seed in the first batch to germinate. None of the second batch seeds germinated and finally all of the third batch of seeds grew.

The Moby Dick grew 1 inch tall and stopped growing. It was never big enough to transplant out of the solo cup.

The seedlings were transplanted to 5 gallon buckets

While bending the Northern lights my LST technique was not L enough and a branch broke off. I scraped the stem and dipped it in Clonex and put it in wet Coco under a humidity dome. The clone is shown in the photos. I transplanted the clone to a 2 L soda bottle.

February 11 Plant photos:

DSC3031.jpg

DSC3034.jpg

DSC3037.jpg

DSC3043.jpg

Moby Dick
DSC3045.jpg

Clone of Northern Lights x Big Bud
DSC3048.jpg

I added a CO2 system and am having problems.

I started with a HydroFarm/Active Air COSYS20 system and added a CAP PPM3 controller/CO2 meter.

I found these on eBay. The COSYS20 was purchased 2 years ago and never used. The C.A.P. PPM3 was factory reconditioned.

The electrical control solenoid is now sticks open or closed. Cycling the power will restore the solenoid operation for a while.

The timer in the COSYS20 does not work. (It does not keep time.)

A check of the COSYS20 instruction sheet finds the bold text: "NOTE: THIS UNIT IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE USED WITH ELECTRONIC CONTROLLERS. THE CONSTANT SWITCHING ON & OFF OF THE cO2 WILL CAUSE COMPONENTS TO FREEZE. THIS COULD EMPTY THE TANK OR INHIBIT CO2 DELIVERY."

The HydroFarm support email address is useless ('contact your reseller').

Do you have a recommendation for a replacement CO2 solenoid which is rated for an electronic controller?

Spring is approaching and my grow room now contains pepper and tomato seedlings started for transplant outside, some pepper plants saved inside over the winter, and some decorative plants hiding in the warm room over the winter.

The 4 plants which are the subject of this journal are growing like weeds.

The marijuana plants are under a 1000W dual-arc light, 2 68W CFL (300W equivalent) and 2 23 W CFL high UV reptile lights. On one side is a 400 W sodium over the decorative plants and on the other side a 400W CMH is over the pepper and tomato seedlings.

The White Ice is 22 inches tall.
The Quasar is 36 inches
The Grapefruit Kush is 35 inches
The Northern Lights x Big Bud is 42 inches tall

Today's photos are 23 days in flowering

DSC3125.jpg
DSC3124.jpg
DSC3123.jpg
DSC3120.jpg
DSC3121.jpg
DSC3122.jpg
DSC3118.jpg
DSC3115.jpg
DSC3112.jpg

DSC3114.jpg

DSC3116.jpg

DSC3117.jpg

Here is a Flowering Day 44 update.

All 4 plants are growing well and are showing various amounts of frost.

I continue my experiments with CO2 supplementation. My CO2 tank is empty and I have not refilled it yet. With the fresh air fan turned off and my extra lights on the CO2 in my grow room will drop to 200 ppm.

I added a second inline fan. I now have two ventilation circuits. One is the fresh air fan connected to the carbon filter and blowing out of the room into the basement. The other is the lighting circuit. I have 3 'sealed' reflectors connected to a basement air inlet and the fan exhausting into the basement.

I discovered one problem. The 'sealed' light reflectors are not well sealed so running the light fan will pull air out of the grow room. There are two problems with this: 1) I am pumping CO2 out of the room and 2) the exhaust air from this fan bypasses my carbon filter (which is on the grow room fresh air fan).

By the way, is anyone reading this journal or am I talking to myself?

Grapefruit Kush:
DSC3139.jpg

White Ice:

DSC3150.jpg

Northern Lights x Big Bud:

DSC3149.jpg

DSC3147.jpg

Quasar:

DSC3142.jpg

Bud Photos:

DSC3161.jpg

DSC3159.jpg

DSC3158.jpg

DSC3157.jpg

DSC3156.jpg

DSC3155.jpg

DSC3154.jpg

DSC3153.jpg

nice !!! i'm in week 3( 25th day from seed soak) on my 1st grow, some problems but small. i have 10 plants, 9 are buddha autos and the other is an unkown i found an old box of mine.
100_06154.JPG

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom