To Hell in A Hempy Bucket - Vrt CMH - Wonder Woman/Red Dragon

Morning guys! I'm seeing more and more bugs in and around the grows, those sticky flypapers aren't very good unless you have somewhere good to hang them, they just curl up and stick to themselves. I've heard NPS's work great but I've also heard they release undesirables into the air... thoughts?

I've got some sunshine organic potting soil that is spongy and fluffy and smells like peat and I'm itching to try some. What do you think about a lava rock / sunshine 2L hempy?

What coco do you guys use? I guess it's time to read that coco thread.... :peace:

As usual my memory f'ed up. There was a tiny bit of leaf tip burn on the plants that got the OC tea. So I decided to do something strange and measure the amount of actual OC+/Dynamite being used. Came to 3 Tbs. Duh.

No problem. Just mixed up another batch. Split it between two containers,and added a water to make two gallons. Now 1/2 strength (1 1/2 Tbs. per gal). See how that works. My best thinking is that even less would probably be better. We'll see.

Morning guys! I'm seeing more and more bugs in and around the grows, those sticky flypapers aren't very good unless you have somewhere good to hang them, they just curl up and stick to themselves. I've heard NPS's work great but I've also heard they release undesirables into the air... thoughts?

I've got some sunshine organic potting soil that is spongy and fluffy and smells like peat and I'm itching to try some. What do you think about a lava rock / sunshine 2L hempy?

What coco do you guys use? I guess it's time to read that coco thread.... :peace:

I am using big blocks I bought from Osh Harware. Threw away the wrapper but I think it was made by General Hydro.(?) I know it is the same people who make Bandit's coco chips. I'll check.

You would need to do an experiment to see how well the soil wicks water. Put 1" water in a clear cup, dump soil on top and see how high it wicks.

Try it with a rock/soil mix too.

I mix potting soil with coco for better water movement. You could also try adding more perlite or vermiculite to the potting soil.

The other thing to test is drainage. With hempies we want both good drainage and water retention.

:hookah:

As usual my memory f'ed up. There was a tiny bit of leaf tip burn on the plants that got the OC tea. So I decided to do something strange and measure the amount of actual OC+/Dynamite being used. Came to 3 Tbs. Duh.

No problem. Just mixed up another batch. Split it between two containers,and added a water to make two gallons. Now 1/2 strength (1 1/2 Tbs. per gal). See how that works. My best thinking is that even less would probably be better. We'll see.

I am using big blocks I bought from Osh Harware. Threw away the wrapper but I think it was made by General Hydro.(?) I know it is the same people who make Bandit's coco chips. I'll check.

You would need to do an experiment to see how well the soil wicks water. Put 1" water in a clear cup, dump soil on top and see how high it wicks.

Try it with a rock/soil mix too.

I mix potting soil with coco for better water movement. You could also try adding more perlite or vermiculite to the potting soil.

The other thing to test is drainage. With hempies we want both good drainage and water retention.

Thanks for the OC tea news. I've been making it out of Happy Frog, but it smells like the inside of a septic tank :yummy:

I got 5k blocks of coco, GH. It is not chunky. It needs some serious rinsing, and a cal/mag pre-treatment. My latest mix is 2coco/1container soil. The girls seem to like it. The lava rock mix is too soon to tell.

I've run some wicks in a few of the dirty hempies. I need to try it in a few more with thirstier plants.

Think I found a cheap bloom enhancer. OC+/Dynamite tea.

Besides eliminating N issues, after two days all the girls that got the "tea" had tons of extra sparkle. :grinjoint:

Going to have to give it another try and pay closer attention.

Off with their heads!!

Thought I would do a mini update on the clone contestants.

041411_003.JPG

Those two wimpy ones on the left are SLH from the barely growing seedling I had. Tried clones and they are equally worthless. Not good for anything but some foliar feeding practice.

Nope. Next time I see them, they are out of here. :rip:

The remaining strains are Jack Herer, Wonder Woman and Red Dragon. No plans on growing any of them out again until September.

Their heads will be chopped off as the first step tp bonzai momhood.
After they recover from the topping, they will be transfered into 4" square pots for bonzai management.

The tops will be used to practice cloning directly into cups of coco.

My hot weather beans should be here any day. Strains from SE Asia, Central America and Africa. Figure they can genetically handle the summer heat.:smokin:

I often have problems with gnats in the soil that I purchase. Once the plants are potted, sprinkling cinnamon on the soil eliminates the problem. The cinnamon kills a fungus living in the soil that the gnat larvae eat. Also, you can use chamomile tea once it has cooled. Hope that helps!

Hey TT what strains you waiting on? Have you ever created bonsai moms before? :peace:

Let's test my memory...
Green House Thai
Wild Thai
Chocolate Thai
Mekong High
Malawi Gold
Panama
Durban
Voyager
PPP
Laughing Buddha

Lots of Sativa with a few Sativa dom mixes. The mixes are a bit of a crap shot. It all depends on what phenotype it is.

Never done bonsai moms before but I have done bonsai. Pot plants are much more malleable and forgiving than cedar. got plenty of extra clones to practice with.

I have been practicing on two other mom plants I have. They were both about 3' tall gorgeously vegging plants but were taking up too much space.

They have been cut back over the last two weeks to be about 12" tall. Looking real good. Plus I have one in a cup that I have been keeping at 10". The cup plant will be the first test plant for re-potting bonsai style.

First, I need to put some clones in plugs into mini-hempies. More future moms. :grinjoint:

I often have problems with gnats in the soil that I purchase. Once the plants are potted, sprinkling cinnamon on the soil eliminates the problem. The cinnamon kills a fungus living in the soil that the gnat larvae eat. Also, you can use chamomile tea once it has cooled. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip Creeper.

Got this round of gnats knocked back. But I'll add those to my list of treatments. Sure I'll be getting gnats again.;)

TT do you mind describing how to make a bonsai mom? One more great idea emanating from your parts... thanks bro.

Sure Blue Dog. I'll take some pictures and post as I go along.

The basic theory is restriction. You use small pots to restrict root growth, you clip them to restrict/control growth, just enough nutes to stay alive, and low light levels.

Walking the dogs, I spotted an overflowing recycling bin. About to fall out of the top was a stack of a couple dozen four inch square cheap nursery pots. That is what the moms will be growing in.

The medium will be some kind of soil/compost. What I am using for plants is a little rich. So few decent nurseries around anymore that I am having trouble finding a good plain compost/dirt without added nutes.

Sure Blue Dog. I'll take some pictures and post as I go along.

The basic theory is restriction. You use small pots to restrict root growth, you clip them to restrict/control growth, just enough nutes to stay alive, and low light levels.

Walking the dogs, I spotted an overflowing recycling bin. About to fall out of the top was a stack of a couple dozen four inch square cheap nursery pots. That is what the moms will be growing in.

The medium will be some kind of soil/compost. What I am using for plants is a little rich. So few decent nurseries around anymore that I am having trouble finding a good plain compost/dirt without added nutes.

That's why you're on the Olympic Dumpster Diving Team TT :cheer:

Can you take clones from the mom in that state or do you need to crank them back up first?

Thanks bro I'll be watching for the pics.

Hey Two Tokes, sorry I'm a little late to the party and great job, so far!

I'm in a very space-restricted perpetual grow, so I look forward to tagging along and seeing your method of creating those Bonsai mom's.
:cheer:

That's why you're on the Olympic Dumpster Diving Team TT :cheer:

Can you take clones from the mom in that state or do you need to crank them back up first?

Thanks bro I'll be watching for the pics.

According to Mrs. Tokes I am supposed to be on the Dumpster Filling Team.:slide:

You can take clones at anytime that there are clones to be taken. In fact you also take clones when you don't even need them. However, if you know that you are going to need a bunch of clones in a few weeks, you do start feeding and giving extra light.

Hey Two Tokes, sorry I'm a little late to the party and great job, so far!

I'm in a very space-restricted perpetual grow, so I look forward to tagging along and seeing your method of creating those Bonsai mom's.
:cheer:

Welcome Mr. Krip!:grinjoint:

No such thing as being to late for a 420 grow. Hell, OMM completed a journal ages ago and it is still the most active journal around.:smokin:

Hey TT I just ordered a Red Dragon seed how are they looking?

What kind of coco are you using? The hydro place has Botanicare CocoGro coir do you have any opinions on that?

I didn't ask my question about the bonsai clones well, I'm wondering if they continue to produce suitable branches for cloning while they're dialed back like that.

Take care my friend.

Back
Top Bottom