Icemud's Far Red LED Journal - Flower Trigger Manipulation - Budmaster LED Lights

This will probably be my last post in this thread on the upcomming seed project since things are just about ready to get started. I will start a new journal for that project just to keep the information separate and easier to follow instead of clouding up just 1 journal with 2 separate projects.

When I took these photos a few days ago, I hadn't noticed any new bright green growth on any of the clones yet, so I decided to give them a little water with some added 2-0-0 cal/mag just to help bump them along, and knowing from my other grow that my soil seems to be low on Mg, I figured why not start them out right. Well it worked and just as of yesterday, I noticed all the clones had some nice fresh green new growth so they all now seem to have adjusted to the soil, and are starting to dig their roots in. :) sweet! I was worried about the GDP because first of all its as strain I have wanted for a very long time, but also it was the "runt" of the clones I picked up and was very small, hardly any leaves, but did have some good roots. I was just hoping that it would take and it did :)

Right now I have the lights on 1/2 power each (Budmaster GOD 8 and GOD 4) and have them about 3' above the plants which seems to be more than enough light for the young plants. I also have been giving them foliar sprays each day of just a r/o water, cal/mag, and 1-1-1 b1 vitamin spray to help give them a little something until the roots are large enough to supply the nutrients. I am still waiting on my ogiesel and black diamond og to root, and be added to this tent, and I also cloned tangie 3 and 5 both again, as the clones I took I was not happy with and they could be healthier for the breeding project. So I am also waiting on them to root.

I think I will be going with my ogiesel as the next plant that will be sprayed with colloidal silver, and I will use the ogiesel pollen to make seeds of all the other strains I have, plus feminized ogiesel seeds too :) Ogiesel has been my favorite indica dom strain I have had for probably 2 years now, and I would love to make sure to keep these genetics on hand, in case I have to move, or for some reason my plant goes sour... so I figured it would also make an excellent strain to cross as its so potent... and grows very hardy and usually causes no problems. excellent genetics :)

Other than that, I am just waiting now for the last of the cuttings to root, and we will get started, so as soon as all the clones have rooted and been potted, the fun will begin, and I will get that new journal going :)

The new LED light bar for my clone dome seems to be keeping the plants happy, but I think that I almost would be better off with 2 of them just to bump up the intensity slightly, so maybe I will pick another one up soon, they have a daisy chain ability so should be pretty easy :)

Other than that... here are the photos from the other day :)

IMG_20160923_193851.jpg
IMG_20160923_193901.jpg
IMG_20160923_193907.jpg
IMG_20160923_193952.jpg
IMG_20160923_193956.jpg
IMG_20160923_194002.jpg
IMG_20160923_194008.jpg
IMG_20160923_194012.jpg

I don't know if they want it hotlinked, so I'll just say to guggle Phylos Galaxy. It's a cool tool. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:Namaste:

Thanks for posting that... yea that is a great site, really gives a visual picture of where strains relate.. I want to find out pricing of the tests, because I think it would be an awesome way to verify the cuts I have are what they are, and possibly use it for future breeding and F'1s.

Nice score! I'd sort, kind of, maybe like to try the Grand Daddy Purple. I think I'd really like to try the Candyland, and probably the Gorilla Glue #4.

No clones around here :( . But I did go on a bit of a road trip (few states over) Saturday, and came home with a few new strains (in seed form) to try. And a few more. And a few more ;) . The fates - and a wonderful forum member - were kind.

I might even have to try this auto-flower thing out...

Where do African sativas fall? Is there a version of that graphic that can be searched?

That ought to show the most hybrid vigor. I suppose it works best if you like at least some of the characteristics of both plants; otherwise, going for the highest amount of diversity in breeding partners might not be especially helpfu?

Which is not to say that no one is doing it, necessary or not.

Will you be continuing this light schedule (including the one-hour far red supplementation) until harvest?

Yea to me, getting new strains almost gives me the same feeling as being a kid on christmas day :) LOL I love it! something about each strains effects, terpenes, and all just excites me about which one I like the best. GDP I fell in love with years ago when I still lived in chicago and a buddy of mine brought some back from AZ, right about the time GDP hit the scene, and wow! I remember taking a 1 hitter (a metal bat style) and tasting it and the taste was just absolutely amazing, and the bag smell was unreal... and then after a 1 hitter I remember almost forgetting how to walk for a few seconds and looked at my feet and almost saying "come on feet, do your thing" LOL

Anyhow it was love at first toke :)

I'm really excited to have this strain, and I really hope my search is finally over :) if not I guess last resort would be to just order the seeds but I was hoping to get clones just because if done right they were already pheno hunted :) I've ran across many bummers in the past so really hoping I got a winner :)

Yea the candyland too, GDP x GSC... wow!! Can't wait to taste this as both of these are my top strains :)

I've never even had gorilla glue before, but there is so much hype about it here in cali that I had to get it. seems right to have those wanted genetics around :)

Actually I'm really excited about all the new strains :) I can't wait to get them going which will be the next grow after my current Far red test is done :)

Even though I shouldn't be making seeds without running them first I figure what the heck, if the strain is bunk then the seeds at least will already be done and I can trash them, or if it is legit then I already have a nice ogiesel x ??? crosses to work with :)

Yea I never considered autoflower strains as I just never liked the thought of not controlling my floweirng, as well as having ruderalis bred into the genetics. I always just wanted strains that I knew, liked and that were as true as I could get, and just never had auto's appeal to me. I like to control my cycles, especially with the perpetual grow I have going so maybe in the future I will try auto's but for now I will just stick to the ones I control the photoperiod.

African sativa's I'm sure can be searched, I haven't specifically looked so not sure where they are, but the tool is online so you can check it out by strain name. I haven't found everything in there yet tested, but quite a few are...

Well from what I understand its all about where you want to go with breeding... If you are looking to make a new strain, with many new, and possibly undiscovered traits, then from what I am told its best to breed 2 very unlike strains because there is more variety that is possible, where if you breed 2 like strains, lets say 2 indica doms, that grow short, bushy plants, then the offspring of those already has a probibility of being indica dom, short bushy plants, unless there are recessive genes which may show a slight chance of a different pheno expression in the offspring. So in that case, if you wanted to "work" a strain, where you already have a strain with many characteristics you like, then you would breed it with a strain, in the same lineage that is known to have the extra traits you desire. Such as if you had that indica dom, short bushy, and you wanted it to grow with less water use, then you would find a strain, within the lineage of indica dom, short bushy, that also was low water usage, which then could be worked into the new offspring. With genetic mapping now they can take the offspring, take a holepunch of the leaf in early veg, read the genetic code and know exactly which offspring will have the "low water use" traits, as well as the other already known and sought after traits...

So really breeding you could look at is as trying to create something new and interesting which would be taking the genetics least like each other, or you could breed a line to "work" it towards something you would like to see expressed. Sort of like Autoflowers, as they are still typically the strain that is named, for instane an autoflower skunk... generally it still exhibits skunk qualities but by breeding in ruderalis, this gives the offspring the skunk features but with the ability to auto control their cycle.

Now there is a ton I still have to learn about breeding, but also working with very knowledgable people who do this for a living, so I have to somewhat trust what they tell me... I say somewhat because I always still verify info, just being me... but I do rate their experience and advice fairly high given their backgrounds. :) So what I am really doing, overall is to make feminized seeds of each strain to keep the genetics, but in the process making crosses... but first concern is to preserve my favorites in seed form :) but 2ndly the goal is to create something new, where maybe it exhibits traits of both parents, but the offspring unlock something special :) Who knows, though as I have a lot to learn in this area as I very recently started to explore it :)

Well I already changed the light cycle slightly, so I am running a 14/10, but with 2 hours of far red at the end of the day. I will continue to use this cycle for the next few weeks. If all the plants flower and aren't acting odd, then I will continue to use it for the remainder of the grow. If some plants don't flower, or I am seeing odd things happen, then I will go back to the traditional 12/12 and still use the far red... most likely though if everything works on 14/10, then I will flower the entire cycle like that :)

!!! Man that's so flipping awesome. That map. I want that map! Lol I can't wait to see what you do w the gdp down the road. I only ever bred plants once. Back in the islands I crossed the original ducksfoot with a local Hawaiian mango strain. I loved growing the duck but for me was too spicey in taste. Easy to grow and good yield, decent potency. So I crossed it with the mango for more desired flavor. Still looked like the duck but tasted like a blend of the two. I kind of have a similar goal as you. The duck is not the best strain ever but it is decent and so unique. Ive had a few dozen other strains in my limited experience most of which were much better but always found myself obsessed with the duck. My seeds got destroyed in a small flood and after I moved it was all just a forgotten memory. Now after being m.i.a. for over a decade Im back and can't find the duck anywhere. The closest thing is still pretty cool though. Dutch Passion has taken their best outdoor strain Frisian Dew and crossed it to the duck. Should be more versatile now. I hope to be able to take the Frisian Duck and start over where I left off. I'm very amped to see your drive and devotion to your program. Especially interested in all the science you have going. I dont comment on all your posts but I do read all the great info in them. Thanks again for all of your work.

Hey Ducksfoot!

yea that map is awesome, and Graytail posted the search terms in which you will be able to find it. I think its awesome what legalization is bringing to the industry as more actual science and top researchers are now able to fully explore our beloved plant :)

I feel what you mean about searching for that one strain, that memorable one that just did something different to you than all the others. GDP was definitely that strain.... well there was 1 other, I have been also searching for years for, and nobody knows what it was, but many remember it... back in the mid 90's when I was still in high school there was a strain that would only come around in the winter time, usually late October thru December, and it was known as Christmas bud. Comprared to other imported bud we got at the time, this was a treat, and usually was gone as soon as the dealer got it. The buds were extremely tight, and very vivid colored, bright green and reds, almost like a christmas tree. The scent was very very strong pine, nothing else, just like if you were to walk through a dense pine forest, or get pine sap on your hands...just reaked of pine and tasted like it too... I remember when smoked it was truely that 1 hit wonder, where your lungs would just explode with coughing and the pine flavor would just sit in your mouth forever.... well I have asked on numerous websites, forums and absolutely many remember it all over the midwest around that same time, but nobody knows what it is... Ive had some people say it could have been a northern lights pheno, or a strain called pinewarp, or another called freezeland, which could be possible. But nobody knows for sure.

Anyhow I wish that I could find that piney tasting bud from that era, as man, nothing else I have ever come acrossed was that piney... Trainwreck has some of the similarities, so does og kush sometimes, and headband, but still not the same.. this was straight off a pine tree smell...

Hey Ducksfoot!

yea that map is awesome, and Graytail posted the search terms in which you will be able to find it. I think its awesome what legalization is bringing to the industry as more actual science and top researchers are now able to fully explore our beloved plant :)

I feel what you mean about searching for that one strain, that memorable one that just did something different to you than all the others. GDP was definitely that strain.... well there was 1 other, I have been also searching for years for, and nobody knows what it was, but many remember it... back in the mid 90's when I was still in high school there was a strain that would only come around in the winter time, usually late October thru December, and it was known as Christmas bud. Comprared to other imported bud we got at the time, this was a treat, and usually was gone as soon as the dealer got it. The buds were extremely tight, and very vivid colored, bright green and reds, almost like a christmas tree. The scent was very very strong pine, nothing else, just like if you were to walk through a dense pine forest, or get pine sap on your hands...just reaked of pine and tasted like it too... I remember when smoked it was truely that 1 hit wonder, where your lungs would just explode with coughing and the pine flavor would just sit in your mouth forever.... well I have asked on numerous websites, forums and absolutely many remember it all over the midwest around that same time, but nobody knows what it is... Ive had some people say it could have been a northern lights pheno, or a strain called pinewarp, or another called freezeland, which could be possible. But nobody knows for sure.

Anyhow I wish that I could find that piney tasting bud from that era, as man, nothing else I have ever come acrossed was that piney... Trainwreck has some of the similarities, so does og kush sometimes, and headband, but still not the same.. this was straight off a pine tree smell...

That was classic. I was reading that and got to the part about school back in the 90's and an old favorite strain you can't find... Immediately I stop reading and time warp back to the 90s when i was in highschool myself and at parking lot downtown where I scored my last bag of Christmas buds! Then I read on and start cracking up lol. Same damn strain you were thinking of. :) man would I love to get my hands on some seeds of that. I literally know nothing about Xmas buds. Sativa? Indica? Hybrid? Parents? Offspring?
I grew up in Florida and we had it there every holiday season too. Now knowing it was that popular and widespread, hmmm. But only once a year. So maybe some huge outdoor grow but not from too far north because there is no way it would harvest in time to be ready for distribution that widespread by October. And on a scale that huge... probably cali grown?
Well thanks for memories man. Haven't thought about Xmas buds for a couple years now. On a side note if 14/10 doesn't work my vote would be to switch to 13/11 and see how that works. I vaguely remember that being the sweet spot so you get an extra hour of light on and an extra hour of lights off figuratively typing. Or of it doesnt work are you gunna go 12/12 still with the 730nm to go back towards a baseline for a better comparison? Just wondering.
Also fwiw my current 730nm grow is also my first grow in the greenhouse so I have nothing to compare it to... but I talked my friend into using 730 in his greenhouse and he is pretty happy so far with the results. His sour diesel is way ahead of where it was last time he grew that strain in the greenhouse. Really amped to see how it works for your journal. Also on the edge of my seat to see if your search for the real gdp is over.

Memorable strains that are either gone forever or one of the thousands - so might as well be? I used to get some from down in Seminole country once a year that tasted like... well, your toenails, I guess, because that's what you'd be coughing up about half a second after taking a hit. One of the few one-hit-wonders I've ever run across. Take two and you're... done. I think that might be what caused me to mix oil based and latex paint together one day (they weren't even the same color). Then there was the cured, brown Mexican that gave mild audio/visual hallucinations and the effects seemed to last half the afternoon (rare for me) - I found one seed in that which grew into something just as fine. And I was getting regular drops the Emerald Triangle years ago by way of a guy that used to drive truck back and forth all over the country, amount varied between kewpies and sacks (pounds) when I got one that had an eighth ounce of bud right in the middle of it like the prize in a Kracker Jack box that was something special, I was never able to find out how/why it got there or procure any more of it. I had a Neville's Haze pheno once that I guess you could call a one-hit wonder, because one would light up most folks - but you could keep going all day long and get positively goofy. That one took me lots of packs to find.

Gone now, all gone. <MOURNS>

Memorable strains that are either gone forever or one of the thousands - so might as well be? I used to get some from down in Seminole country once a year that tasted like... well, your toenails, I guess, because that's what you'd be coughing up about half a second after taking a hit. One of the few one-hit-wonders I've ever run across. Take two and you're... done. I think that might be what caused me to mix oil based and latex paint together one day (they weren't even the same color). Then there was the cured, brown Mexican that gave mild audio/visual hallucinations and the effects seemed to last half the afternoon (rare for me) - I found one seed in that which grew into something just as fine. And I was getting regular drops the Emerald Triangle years ago by way of a guy that used to drive truck back and forth all over the country, amount varied between kewpies and sacks (pounds) when I got one that had an eighth ounce of bud right in the middle of it like the prize in a Kracker Jack box that was something special, I was never able to find out how/why it got there or procure any more of it. I had a Neville's Haze pheno once that I guess you could call a one-hit wonder, because one would light up most folks - but you could keep going all day long and get positively goofy. That one took me lots of packs to find.

Mayaka gold?

That was classic. I was reading that and got to the part about school back in the 90's and an old favorite strain you can't find... Immediately I stop reading and time warp back to the 90s when i was in highschool myself and at parking lot downtown where I scored my last bag of Christmas buds! Then I read on and start cracking up lol. Same damn strain you were thinking of. :) man would I love to get my hands on some seeds of that. I literally know nothing about Xmas buds. Sativa? Indica? Hybrid? Parents? Offspring?
I grew up in Florida and we had it there every holiday season too. Now knowing it was that popular and widespread, hmmm. But only once a year. So maybe some huge outdoor grow but not from too far north because there is no way it would harvest in time to be ready for distribution that widespread by October. And on a scale that huge... probably cali grown?
Well thanks for memories man. Haven't thought about Xmas buds for a couple years now. On a side note if 14/10 doesn't work my vote would be to switch to 13/11 and see how that works. I vaguely remember that being the sweet spot so you get an extra hour of light on and an extra hour of lights off figuratively typing. Or of it doesnt work are you gunna go 12/12 still with the 730nm to go back towards a baseline for a better comparison? Just wondering.
Also fwiw my current 730nm grow is also my first grow in the greenhouse so I have nothing to compare it to... but I talked my friend into using 730 in his greenhouse and he is pretty happy so far with the results. His sour diesel is way ahead of where it was last time he grew that strain in the greenhouse. Really amped to see how it works for your journal. Also on the edge of my seat to see if your search for the real gdp is over.

Another story of the mysterious Christmas buds!!! haha :) seriously, with all the people that remember them, I swear I thought by now someone would know what it was or where its from, but everyone pretty much remembers them, loved it, but nobody knows what it was... I definitely miss those pine flavored strains, where it almost was like fresh cut christmas tree flavor and smells.. :) one of these days hopefully the mystery will unravel :) and maybe not too.. might just be one of those great memories :) I swear I wish I would have stored some away... at least now the science is there I could have had the sample DNA read :) lol

Yea I'm not sure about where to go next with the Far Red light... I switched it to being on 2 hours after the lights go out, still on a 14/10 schedule, but it seems the plants keep growing leaves, as well as the indica's really are stretching a ton, not so much on the sativa dom's though...

No signs of flowering yet, so I am going to wait 1 more week, and if I don't see flowers pop than I will just go to a 12/12 and use it for 15 minutes after the lights go out... (this is how others that currently use far red do it). I don't understand the significance of this as its not really "triggering" flowering with a 12/12 schedule so IDK... but I'm going to give it 1 more week, and by next weekend, if there are no flowers then I will just go with a 12/12, and ride out the rest of the grow on that schedule... I can't delay flowering any longer than that because the plants are already too tall really for flowering for my comfort level, and my stash is getting fairly low where I may have to visit some dispensaries soon until next harvest... yuck.. I am not a fan of most dispensary buds... cash cropped, hydro grown, flavorless... and harsh... :)

wow... toenail flavored weed!!! can I vomit now..LOL hahah

Reminds me of some stuff we got back in the day in chicago... it was the most stinky stuff I think I have ever come across, but it smelled like baby poop... literally like some absolutely stank baby poop... anyways the high was absolutely phenominal, they were completely frosty and lime green, but that smell... literally we had to bag it like 8x, put it in tupperware, bag that.. and within an hour the room still smelled like baby poo... anyways those buds got named "poo buds" lol, never got them again, had no clue what it was... and the smell was so unappealing that I'm kind of glad that strain disappeared into oblivion :)

I really wish I would have kept my seeds from back in the mid 90s, even though a lot of those strains you can still get now.. the northern lights, the skunks, afghani's, bubblegums, juicy fruits, warlock, BC buds (beasters), ak47, white widow.... I remember having old 35mm canisters full of seeds and I think a few times my mom found them and tossed them, and I remember dumping a whole canister of seeds in the forest behind my house and under some grass clippings. I remember checking to see if they sprouted and saw a whole clump of seedlings in the grass clippings, but the forest was moist and dense and a week later they were gone... probably an animal got to them... boy I wish I would have kept the seeds :) Part of the reason now I am making seeds, so 10-20 years down the road when most of this "eras" favorites are unavailable, or genetically modified... I still will have access to some old school favorites :) I just have to get a sealer and a nice storage container that is airtight and cool.

I do seem to remember more versions of northern lights back then. I remember there being like a NL 2, NL3, NL5 and the same with some other strains too... like skunk.

it was the most stinky stuff I think I have ever come across, but it smelled like baby poop... literally like some absolutely stank baby poop.

Yeah, I'd have passed on that. If the strongest cannabis in the world smells like sh!t, I don't want it.

literally we had to bag it like 8x, put it in tupperware, bag that.. and within an hour the room still smelled like baby poo.

<SCRATCHES HEAD> You could have just wrapped it in a disposable diaper and thrown it into the floor of your car's back seat, lol. I doubt even a LEO would have looked inside.

Quick update ;)

So in the flowering (Far Red) tent, today would make day 11 of flowering from the flip... and absolutely no signs of flowering yet.. kind of odd since generally by this time I already see the plants stop pushing new leaves, usually the leaves move to an extremely vertical type posture, and the pistils start to form... and none of that is occurring yet.... now this partly could be my fault by only doing 1 hour of Far Red light for the 1st week, instead of the recommended 2 hours with the 14/10 schedule... so just a couple days ago I set the Far Red to come on 15 minutes before my lights go out, and stay on for 2 hours after the lights go out... I am planning on letting them go 1 more week, and seeing if that does anything to get them to flower, if not by next weekend (not this one comming up in 2 days but the following one) I will flip the lights to 12/12 with a 15 minute Far Red induction after lights out... which has been told to me over and over from different growers that it works amazing...

I was really hoping to see this 14/10 theory work, and I haven't given up yet... but also can't delay the grow much longer as my plants are getting very tall and will run out of room if I wait too much longer. (should have been flipped weeks ago) Anyhow if for some reason I have to switch to the 12/12 (15min FR) then I will try the 14/10 in the future again... on the next grow... Got my fingers crossed we will see flowers in the next 7 days...

I gave the girls a good solid feeding today as they were pretty hungry, and actually my Black Cherry Soda and Tangie 5 were a bit on the wilty side... so I mixed up yesterday 5 gallons of r/o water, added 80ml of botanicare pro bloom, 40ml of botanicare cal/mag, 1oz of terpenater (to get rid of it and add K).

The next feeding will be a compost tea of premixed soil, and earth worm castings with a little molasses and yucca extract... but that wont be until probably monday of next week. I'm really trying to space out the feedings where the plants almost wilt before feeding to make sure not to overwater and really get those roots big!

My tangie #5 is acting very strange too... as it seems to want to shed all of its fan leaves, which a few weeks ago I noticed and it resembled a N deficiency.. well needless to say I bumped up the N in the feedings and the problem is still there, so I am thinking that maybe the soil ph is out of wack, or maybe it was just overwatered... or didn't like the fan blowing directly on it... or it could have been the foliar spray (ive noticed a few strains don't seem to like spraying the undersides of the leaves). Not sure what the issue but will continue to love her, and treat her good and hopefully she will come around. :)

The mystery plants both seem to be showing female sex now, with 2 white hairs at each node... so hopefully they don't hermi on me because they smell quite nice and skunky.. also very interesting leaves on them :)

The seed project/clones:

Well the seed project is chugging along, and all the clones that were put into soil about a week ago are now all showing nice new healthy growth. Even the little runt GDP is finally starting to grow, and show some new leaves... Yes!!! happy this one particularly made it....as it was sort of iffy that first week :) Some of the clones are really thriving, such as the Mendo Grape OG which seems to absolutely love the soil, and is thriving heavy...

The 2 tangies 3 and 5 I was in question of, when I shot the video a few days ago, but even the 2 tangies have come around, and have some very healthy new growth on them. I will continue to let the new cuttings root and see, but most likely I will not have to repot them and redo them as they have really swung for health lately. The black diamond OG and the Ogiesel are still having an extremely hard time taking root, and only 1 of the ogiesels had 1 single thick root coming out of the peet plug... so I put it in soil, gave it a foliar, a good soil drench of water, and put a 2 liter bottle (DIY humidity dome) over her to help retain water until more roots grow. No roots on any of the black diamond og's yet... weird! Anyhow I took 3 more cuttings of the BDOG and a couple more of the Ogiesel, and will hope they root soon as I don't want them to be too different in age and size from the others that are already in soil and thriving :)

I noticed that the ogiesel plugs were fairly saturated with water, which most likely is why, so I put a small drink bottle cap under the tray to raise the height, as the tilt from the heat mat cord was making all the water flood that side of my humidity dome.anyhow problem solved and hopefully it will help.

Other than that not much else to report on today...

If you cannot initiate flowering on that schedule, and switch to 12/12, will you five it a week or two and then try reverting to 14/10 (with supplemental far red light) at that point to see if it will at least keep plants in flower?

If you cannot initiate flowering on that schedule, and switch to 12/12, will you five it a week or two and then try reverting to 14/10 (with supplemental far red light) at that point to see if it will at least keep plants in flower?

Most likely I won't on this run, as the plants are already getting way too tall, so if 14/10 doesn't get them to flower within the next 7 days, then just 12/12 with 15 mins of far red will be what I switch too. If I would have started the process earlier, and the plants were shorter then I would try it, but right now I have to keep things moving as my perpetual grows and tent space all is reliant on this grow finishing, new clones being taken and so on..

On a different forum I frequent, I was chatting it up with some other guys that use Far red, and one of them actually starts his at 12/12, then when the flowers set he bumps it up to 13.5/10.5 and for the last few weeks bumps it back down to 12/12... he said it works really well and he only uses 15 mins of Far Red... so definitely this gives me some ideas for future grows, but time has pretty much run out on experimenting on this one and I have to get them into flower by next weekend.

one of them actually starts his at 12/12, then when the flowers set he bumps it up to 13.5/10.5 and for the last few weeks bumps it back down to 12/12... he said it works really well

People have been initiating flowering in the Spring on their clones, indoors, for decades and then placing them outside just as soon as the weather was tolerable. The light schedule outside at that time is conducive to flowering, so they continue to do so. Towards the end, the day-length is getting a little long, but many strains still manage to finish.

The "12/12" rule of flowering is just one of those "one size fits all" rules - and like most such rules... it doesn't, really ;) That image that showed many strains, scattered about like shotgun pellets into a pine board? One could probably do much the same with strains in terms of the minimum number of uninterrupted dark hours required to initiate - and then to continue - the flowering process, methinks. (Such a task would consume a lifetime's worth of man-hours, I suppose.)

Hey, if you are not interested in another LED panel at this time, would you consider posting my user name (with an @ at the beginning of it - not really sure what's up with that, lol) in this thread?
Mars Hydro is looking for product reviewer

If you do not feel like doing so - or wish to submit your own name - I will certainly understand.

People have been initiating flowering in the Spring on their clones, indoors, for decades and then placing them outside just as soon as the weather was tolerable. The light schedule outside at that time is conducive to flowering, so they continue to do so. Towards the end, the day-length is getting a little long, but many strains still manage to finish.

The "12/12" rule of flowering is just one of those "one size fits all" rules - and like most such rules... it doesn't, really ;) That image that showed many strains, scattered about like shotgun pellets into a pine board? One could probably do much the same with strains in terms of the minimum number of uninterrupted dark hours required to initiate - and then to continue - the flowering process, methinks. (Such a task would consume a lifetime's worth of man-hours, I suppose.)

Hey, if you are not interested in another LED panel at this time, would you consider posting my user name (with an @ at the beginning of it - not really sure what's up with that, lol) in this thread?
Mars Hydro is looking for product reviewer

If you do not feel like doing so - or wish to submit your own name - I will certainly understand.

i got you brotherman, just recommended you for the light trial :) hope you win! you would do it well!

Yea I do agree that 12/12 is not the only option, however based on some research I have read for cannabis, 12/12 is the most economical options of electrical use vs yield. I've actually flowered before with 13/11 schedules and no Far Red so I definitely know that there are other options than just 12/12... I also thought about the recommended schedule from the other forum, starting at 12/12, then bumping up to 13.5/10.5... but flowering is not soley reliant upon just the lack of light (uninterrupted dark) but is also influenced by the plants cycles, the circadian rhythm. (has to do with the RNA inside the plant changing the way certain protiens are folded) I've read before that changing up the start of day time, or fluxuating the daylight hours too much can lead to issues, just like in people who operate out of a routine sleep time... so I want to just keep it simple and with this go with a 12/12 as it is the best option for flowering thus far that scientific studies have shown... Unfortunately due to these meds also being my supply, I can't afford to have them mess up an hermi, or do some odddity where it cuts my med supply down. There are many strains though, and yea its very well possible that their genetic origins and locations where the came from could vary, which is the reason that autoflowers have come into play, as the ruderalis that was used to breed into the lineage for this "non light dependant" flowering comes from the ruderalis which originated in the colder areas of russia.

Hah! Now you're on a roll. That baby poo reminds me of a strain we got back in the 90's that had no name we knew of. I always called it dog $hit. Lol. Smelled like dog crap! Damn that's another awesome flashback. Well kinda awesome lol. Never had luck flowering outside even under 12/12 if the days were getting longer. Maybe it was location or strain. Never harvested. I was hoping I could manipulate in the spring with 730nm and 14/10 long enough to keep the girls I'm flower but after reading this I have my worries now. Thanks for your research bro. Every bit of info and work helps. Keep going man. We need guys like you to help take it all to the next level.

Omg, my memory is working today. =)
I've smoked this elusive bud and I even got a name..
Old school Durban poision...... Smelt like a mix of dookie and puke, maybe some armpit smell too.. I have had it a few times and this was probably int the late 90s from a clone my friend received in California. I remember it being really potent and stinking like sh!t. The taste was better than the smell but it definitely smelt gross and giving the bag a sniff wasn't a great experience at all.. It was still better than that flat herb/stem/seed patties smuggled in a gas tank....

Update time:

The flowering tent (Budmaster emerson Far Red):

So after a lot of debating, I've decided that I don't even want to wait another week to get my girls into flowering. So I made the executive decision that tonight will be the first night of 12/12 for my girls. I looked back at all my other grows and at this point in flowering (day 12) every other grow had flowered. Now hence I didn't start my grow at 14/10 with 2 hours of far red, and switched it about a week ago... but by now, I should have seen the plants get ready for flowering, and flowers set, so I decided that giving them another week, the 14/10 may work, but I'm not confident it will at all, so why wait.. lets get the show started and see what it can do..

Well instead of the 14/10 with 2 hours of Far Red, I've decided to switch my schedule to 12/12, using the far red for 15 minutes before lights on, 1 hour during peak daylight (emerson effect), and 15 minutes after lights out. People have used this schedule before with confidence and it works, and they all said they noticed a much shorter flowering time, and increased yield... so we will see :)

So with that being said.. tomorrow will be day 1 of flowering officially :) lol

Other than that the plants are just doing their thing, I gave them a foliar feeding of some cal/mag, water, and some 1-1-1 b1 vitamins. The plants all now are showing continued leaf growth, a lot of stretch on the indica dom's and not much on the sativa doms. My 2 mystery bag seeds seem to be showing female sex, and have some very interesting leaves on them... not like anything I have grown before that I recognize. Should be interesting to see what they are :) Other than that I won't be feeding them for at least until monday in which they will get a nice soil/worm casting compost tea :)
IMG_20160929_214712.jpg
IMG_20160929_214729.jpg
IMG_20160929_214733.jpg
IMG_20160929_214738.jpg
IMG_20160929_214741.jpg
IMG_20160929_214750.jpg
IMG_20160929_214803.jpg
IMG_20160929_214831.jpg
IMG_20160929_214841.jpg
IMG_20160929_214848.jpg
IMG_20160929_214853.jpg
IMG_20160929_214900.jpg
IMG_20160929_214905.jpg
IMG_20160929_214909.jpg
IMG_20160929_214914.jpg
IMG_20160929_215205.jpg
IMG_20160929_215212.jpg

The SEED PROJECT:

Well since I still am waiting on clones to root, I decided to hold off on the separate journal until all the plants are rooted, and potted. The ogiesel that I put in the soil yesterday isn't looking too hot, as its been fairly dry here lately, and even with a makeshift humidity dome over her, she just seems really wilty.. I have about 6 other cuttings of ogiesel awaiting to root and only need 2 of them, so hopefully soon I should be able to get 2 fresh ones into soil. I'm also waiting for the black diamond og to root and I took about 4 new cuttings yesterday and put them in the humidity dome, so hopefully within the next week or so I can get things going :)

I won't need to feed these plants for at least about another week as they are still young and fairly saturated from their last feeding/watering when they got transplanted. They all are taking off with new growth now and looking really good :) I decided to also give them all a foliar feeding with the same above mix, and they are thriving. :) I'm so excited for these new strains, and almost want to just flower them out right now...LOL but I will wait :) even though making seeds of unknown genetics is pretty foolish, I have a feeling that these all are the real deal by the reviews the clone place had, and the health of the clones, plus the leaves look excactly how they should for each of the strains :) hope they are good phenos :)

Well not much else to report on :)

IMG_20160929_215652.jpg
IMG_20160929_215732.jpg
IMG_20160929_215748.jpg
IMG_20160929_215752.jpg
IMG_20160929_215807.jpg

Hey Everyone!! Check this out..

Remember a while back I was talking about how I helped with the research and content of a new law in California for legalizing and regulating extraction..... well looks like it was just signed as of this week by the Governor!!! Awesome!!! Now as of the 1st of the year, licensed and approved extraction facilities can operate without fear of getting arrested, as long as they follow the new law :) You're welcome :)

California Medical Marijuana Extract Makers Get Historic Protections

Congratulations! Pat yourself on the back.

I just hope it doesn't get wrapped in red tape, over-regulated, and/or neutered (as so many things do when they get dipped in the cesspool of government). Keep abreast of all facets of it, if you can (and keep us informed). I have gotten the impression at times that a lot of people - and governing bodies - look at the state of California, in regards to its medicinal cannabis, as... somewhat comical. Personally, I find no humor whatsoever in other states, those in which a person has to just about be pronounced dead to qualify as a medicinal user - and, since the opportunity and likelihood of abuse & addiction of cannabis is vanishingly slight that it is far better to lean towards the permissive end of the scale, rather than the draconian one. Err... But anyway, regardless of whether one thinks California's model is the way things should be, or thinks that it in many ways is almost a de facto "wink and nod" legalization... there is no denying that California - and the people there who are involved in the industry - have been pioneers (and, in many ways, continue to be). I don't spend as much time following the various debates in states/etc. in terms of legalizing for medicinal use (although I still try to pay attention to my state and those surrounding it specifically, and the world in general). But, in the things that I do see... Many times, whether people are for legalization (for medicinal use) or against it - California seems to enter the discussion. In other words, many of the things that y'all do there has a bit of the "trickle-down" affect to the rest of us.

Again, congratulations - and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom