Tutorial: Homemade Pipe Made From Your Plant Remains

Part 3:

Now we're ready to fill the cracks with some wood filler. I used a natural color to best match the cannabis wood color.
You can apply with your finger or a cotton swab. Let dry for about 4 hours (or whatever the manufacturer recommends).

Once the filler is dry, time to sand everything smooth – use 220 grit sandpaper.

Be sure to clean out the air channels by blowing, or reaming with a pipe cleaner.

One last thing before applying the finishing coat – for better mouth comfort I like to slightly flatten the mouth piece area, but that’s my personal preference and not really necessary.

It’s now ready for the finish coats. You can use whatever you like, but I prefer water based for easy cleanup and (I feel) is less toxic. Be sure not to coat the inside of the bowl, so that you will not be inhaling burnt chemicals as you smoke.

I like to apply 3 or 4 coats with an hour or two to dry between coats.

Add a screen to the inside of a bowl. I bought some online very cheap, and cut them to match the shape of the bowl.

Here’s the finished pipe ready for a smoke! :yahoo:

Once I figure out how I want to decorate this pipe, I'll post some pics. I hope this gives you a helpful start to making your own custom creations! :Namaste:
That's so awesome, you should sell them to people like me that can't make it.

That's so awesome, you should sell them to people like me that can't make it.
Thanks for the kudos! My son has been telling me this for a while now. Maybe at some point, but right now it's just a fun hobby to keep me busy between growing seasons. :peace:

Hey Beez, how ya doin? Back to craftsman type things yet? I just pulled the stem/ trunk form the Northern Lights I had out back. I'm not sure but I'm thinking some cool thoughts about the future of the Northern Lights! I already stripped the bark which will make shaping and finishing much much easier. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration!

Hopefully I can manage two pipes from what I have. They are going to be xmas presents.
Good luck, and feel free to post some pictures of your project! :thumb:
Back to craftsman type things yet? I just pulled the stem/ trunk form the Northern Lights I had out back. I'm not sure but I'm thinking some cool thoughts about the future of the Northern Lights!
I'm very close to starting up again, now that my summer grow is behind me. I've got a lot of materials to work with, just have to decide what to do first.
I like the shape of your NL, should make for some interesting projects. I like how the wood looks with just the bark stripped and not sanded. Has good character. :goodluck:

Amazing!

1574056485722.png

I've been wondering what to do with this for a week... now I have some ideas ;)

20191118_165615.jpg

Work in progress. The bowl is glued in and airtight but the gap around it should be filled in for finish. Then fine-sanded and a couple of coats of poly, a screen, and it's done! I used a belt sander, drill, and dremel, and my lap was my workbench :).
Excellent work on the pipe! I really like the bowl shape you made. Are you going to have your wife test it for you?

How did you soak the branches and for how how long?
I like your method of using a jar with lid to keep the stem submerged. I just filled a plastic tub with water and held the stems down with a brick. I think I soaked them for a day - maybe just 8 hours, but don't recall for sure.

Most excellent!! It's got a nice sleek look and a great shine to it. :welldone:

Nice Shed, if she won't smoke from it I will. Just bring to the next get together! I'm still soaking and straightening the stem for my pipe, hoping to have a nice free standing pipe when I'm finished.

yes I know, pics or it's not happening...

Back
Top Bottom