Tutorial: Homemade Pipe Made From Your Plant Remains

So, @InTheShed was showing your joint holder and I noticed you made pipes. I made one 2 seasons ago...

The stalk wasn't airtight. At each crotch there were deep valleys that went all the way to the center. The colored wax filled these valleys. Anyway, ice pipe,, I wish you well.

PS. If you do this when the stalk is green you can boil it and easily peel the skin off leaving a really clean surface... just a FYI

So, @InTheShed was showing your joint holder and I noticed you made pipes. I made one 2 seasons ago...

The stalk wasn't airtight. At each crotch there were deep valleys that went all the way to the center. The colored wax filled these valleys. Anyway, ice pipe,, I wish you well.

PS. If you do this when the stalk is green you can boil it and easily peel the skin off leaving a really clean surface... just a FYI
Can we give props to that thick azz stem??

beauty,, i have saved one huge stalk,, and will be saving another honkin one for just this purpose,,

gonna be mid winter or spring till they be dry tho,,

i will be in touch,, cheers

it look
After posting pictures of my pipe on THIS THREAD, there were several requests for a tutorial. So here is my attempt at that. There's a bunch of pics so hopefully I don't get anything out of order. Here's the original pipe, but in this tutorial I'll be making a new one from the start:
First things first - choose a plant that has been dried at least a couple weeks.
I grow outdoors so my plants tend to be fairly large, but I would image a good sized indoor plant should work too. For this project I'm choosing Blackberry Fire which yielded just over a pound of bud for me.
Here's the tools I used: Sander and drill -- pretty simple.
The length of your drill bits will determine the maximum length of your pipe stem unless you are willing to glue pieces together. For my first pipe I only had 3" (75 mm) long bits so I choose to make the stem of the pipe in two sections, but for this tutorial I am going to use the longer 6" (150 mm) bits (ordered online just for this project).
So for this pipe I chose a section from the trunk approx. 8” long (200 mm) and a diameter that is comfortable for the mouth at one end – ¼” (7 mm).
Interestingly the plant is already somewhat hollowed out in the center, which makes my job easier :)

Now it’s time to drill out the center to the desired opening. I’ve found that drill bit size 11/64” (4.5 mm) works best for me. Secure the stem, start with a smaller diameter drill bit, and drill out the center from both sides of your stem to achieve an opening all the way through the stem. I used a 6” long bit so theoretically I could have used a stem as long as 12”, so it was pretty easy to work with the 8” stem.
Now it’s time to smooth the surface. Use 80 grit sandpaper to start with. I secured my sander upside down so that I could have both hands on the stem while sanding, but this is not necessary. Whatever works easiest for you.

The wood is soft so the sanding should go quickly. Be careful to keep rotating the stem so that it stays as round as possible. This is what it should look like after the rough sand.

Now with 220 grit sandpaper, by hand continue to sand the stem until very smooth.

Next we choose a piece for the bowl… We’ll need to choose a section that has a larger diameter than the first stem piece since it will ultimately be inserted through the bowl. Mark off about 2 inches and cut the section.
Let me post this as Part 1. Part 2 soon to follow :Namaste:.
your pipe

it look like a pipe from morroco

they call it kief
to smoke kief , which is bassicaly some head of bud chped up with a mix of local tobacco

very long and tiny pipe , they would have the mix in a ball of plastic , fill the pipe , 5 to 6 paff

blow out , then refill , all day , that stuff smash you
it so look like that , but yours is a bit bigger

call a sebsi , dont know why on youtube they show smoke with hash , that's rubbish , they smoke it with kief

Crap. Really?!??!! This is the new standard you guys are raising the bar to?

I need a new pipe matched to each specific harvest? Like a new pair of shoes for each outfit?

I say again..... CRAP!!!

Some beautiful workmanship there, though, to be sure. Hats off.

:adore:

I need a new pipe matched to each specific harvest? Like a new pair of shoes for each outfit.
Yes indeed! I try to make a pipe out of each plant that I harvest just in time to smoke the cured bud with it. ;) Some people have shoe collections, I have pipe collections. :laughtwo:

I don't make one for every grow, Very cool BTW, I have made a few. :thumb:

Besides these two I kept for me, I have given away to friends more than I have kept.

Hash Pipe:
hashpipe-01.jpg

Daily Smoker:
Mainpipe-02.jpg

Nice work @BeezLuiz !

Well done! :high-five:

What size (diameter & depth) do you recommend for the inside of the bowl (sometimes called the Chamber)?
First off :welcome:

This is going seem simplistic but, There is no "measurement" that would work for all. The size of the piece of stem your working with would determine that.

What size (diameter & depth) do you recommend for the inside of the bowl (sometimes called the Chamber)?
Pretty much what Morda said. I try to make the bowl as large as the piece of material will allow. The smaller ones are pretty small - maybe just 2 or 3 hits worth, but the larger pipes can hold quite a bit.
These are pretty large - about 3/4" in diameter, and the gandalf pipe I was able to go pretty deep. :bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom