Ugly's 1st Grow - Soil - Lithium OG Kush - 2016

GUR Ugly

Ok I'm gonna give this a shot.

Lithium OG Kush fem
FoxFarm 50/50 perlite with a little worm casting thrown in
ViparSpectra Reflector-Series 600W LED Grow Light

I live near a lake so I will use that for water/nutes (all kinds of fish/turtle/bird poo) my vegetables have loved it and thrive, but I have FoxFarm nutes if I need em. Also the grow room is a heated and cooled out building.

Well looks like I'm going down in flames rather quickly here. They looked great yesterday, I let them dry out to encourage some root growth (3 days no watering) gave them a good dose of lake water yesterday afternoon and bam. Curling leaves and just don't look happy anymore :(
IMG_082144.JPG
IMG_082245.JPG
IMG_082342.JPG
IMG_082436.JPG
IMG_082539.JPG

:ciao: Ugly (feels weird typing that name. LOL)

Great job getting a journal up and running! I'm gonna put a help post on my thread to see if we can get a couple people to help on those leaf probs. Make sure your light isn't too close as well. Sounds like there isn't a heat issue from them. That last pic looks like a deficiency of some kind to me, so we'll see what folks have to say.

Give it a little time, and someone ought to be around to help ya out.

:circle-of-love:

Oh, and don't stress on it too much. These plants can take a LOT and still do a full and healthy recovery once the deficiency is figured out! Generally they look nice, other than that leaf issue.

:thumb:

In the meantime, here's a thread with some plant deficiency pics you can peruse:

Plant Abuse Chart

There are more posts on the deficiencies, I will link them here when I find them.

What's up Ugly? I'm no help but when Sista Cannafan calls I answer. Help will be on it's way. :thumb:

:Namaste::cco::Namaste:

At that size in soil, it's hard for plants to be deficient - this is probably too much of something. My first thought is too much light, but it could be too much nutes.

p.s. - I don't do deficiency analysis, I simply grow with happy soil and water. I know my girls in flower are a bit deficient and aren't reaching their full flower potential, but they don't do this kind of leaf curling and spotting in veg or flower either.

I didn't see any information about temperature. Is that 75F normal, high or low. My vision is not good. And of course they could have gotten too dry for a brief period. Your lighting for seedlings should be a good distance away. Hopefully you're running those 18/6 to let the babies rest a bit. If you have a fan blowing on them, direct it away from them. They won't need any moving air on them for a couple weeks.

They'll be ok. You might want to just use purified or distilled water until they get a few more nodes of growth before giving lake water.

Have you checked the pH of your water? This is critical and I'll go out on a limb and guess that your lake water is too acidic, I just checked ours (up shallow) and it is 6.1. While it's OK to swim in, I wouldn't water a young plant with it. I have no idea whether acidic water will make them curl up like that, but I'd be tempted to try 1/4 tsp of baking soda per gallon of water (if you don't have a good meter to zero in on 6.5)

FWIW, I use FFOF and Perlite too, but on a 3:1 ratio.

Good luck, and thanks for your years of service Ug.:thumb:

Thank you so much everyone, switching to distilled water and adding a little baking soda. I couldn't find a good soil ph meter, but i guess I can grab a good H2O one (duh good call ty :))

I had them at 20/4 just trying to get them going a little quicker. Will switch to 18/6.

OK, ok turning the fan off :) I'm such a noob Temp is about 75-80 normally it was raining yesterday so the humidity was a little high.

I don't stress over much, just thought it was funny that I have a green thumb with just about everything. I try to grow a weed and I start having problems :)

Good news, lots of new growth where I attempted to FIM. Not sure if I did it right. I tried uploading a few pic's but the site seems to be giving me issues (or it could be just the user)

Thank you so much everyone, your the bestest :)

Thank you so much everyone, switching to distilled water and adding a little baking soda. I couldn't find a good soil ph meter, but i guess I can grab a good H2O one (duh good call ty :))

I had them at 20/4 just trying to get them going a little quicker. Will switch to 18/6.

OK, ok turning the fan off :) I'm such a noob Temp is about 75-80 normally it was raining yesterday so the humidity was a little high.

I don't stress over much, just thought it was funny that I have a green thumb with just about everything. I try to grow a weed and I start having problems :)

Good news, lots of new growth where I attempted to FIM. Not sure if I did it right. I tried uploading a few pic's but the site seems to be giving me issues (or it could be just the user)

Thank you so much everyone, your the bestest :)

You check the pH of ANYTHING you're gonna add into soil (water, nutrient solution etc.) not the soil itself.
I have no idea what the pH of your (or any) distilled water is so I would not add baking soda. I suggested maybe adding baking soda to your lake water based only on what my lake is although I'm sure there are huge differences in the pH of different lakes.

After I almost killed my plants I bought a GOOD pH pen and wouldn't be without it. In the first couple months this will be 100 times more important to you that any added nutrients. Google BlueLab pH pen (they're about $80.)

I could be wrong but I don't think I'd be fiming anything until it was a bit bigger.

Good luck with your plant:thumb:

IMG_082730.JPG
IMG_082629.JPG
You check the pH of ANYTHING you're gonna add into soil (water, nutrient solution etc.) not the soil itself.
I have no idea what the pH of your (or any) distilled water is so I would not add baking soda. I suggested maybe adding baking soda to your lake water based only on what my lake is although I'm sure there are huge differences in the pH of different lakes.

After I almost killed my plants I bought a GOOD pH pen and wouldn't be without it. In the first couple months this will be 100 times more important to you that any added nutrients. Google BlueLab pH pen (they're about $80.)

I could be wrong but I don't think I'd be fiming anything until it was a bit bigger.

Good luck with your plant:thumb:

Thanks for some sound advice, already ordered one. Thanks for your Service as well.

Hey Ug,
How'er those Kush's doing? :hmmmm:

Hey Beav, Looking good, they bounced back after I almost killed em :) Got my Ph meter and the Lake water is 7.5, so I picked up some distilled water 5.5 and mixed until I got a 6.5 ratio and gave them a watering tonight. I went ahead and threw the fan back on because i liked the constant movement on this stems (they are looking strong) and it reduce's the temp a bit without me having to throw the A/C on yet. I'll go grab a pic and see what you think.
Ug

Hey Beav, Looking good, they bounced back after I almost killed em :) Got my Ph meter and the Lake water is 7.5, so I picked up some distilled water 5.5 and mixed until I got a 6.5 ratio and gave them a watering tonight. I went ahead and threw the fan back on because i liked the constant movement on this stems (they are looking strong) and it reduce's the temp a bit without me having to throw the A/C on yet. I'll go grab a pic and see what you think.
Ug

Yup, I tried my darndest to kill my first grow too. I think it's just part of the learning curve..... can you imagine how fast they'd die if we hadn't done all that studying and thought we knew everything before we started:rofl:

I'm glad you got a good meter (+reps) .... While karma is good, I think a good meter is better. I'm sure you know but you can raise and lower your pH with baking soda and vinegar too, until you get some pH up & down

You'll do good, now you just have to figure out what your gonna do with all that nice bud.

See ya.

IMG_083732.jpg
IMG_083627.jpg
IMG_083529.jpg
IMG_083230.JPG

I have tried my darnedest to get those pictures right. Down vol, rotate before upload. It is very quirky but you get the gist at least, sorry, but thanks for checking in on me :)

I use to have a pool so I got the whole up/down and should be ok, now that I realized how sensitive they are to it. Tomatoes/cucumbers eat that lake water up and spit it out.
Thanks Gu

If you are using a phone or android device for pictures - CROP and SAVE - the photo. This resets the rotation field of the photo. Since 420 mag ignores the rotation field - what you see is (now) what you get. I crop a lot anyway, most photos look better after cropping.

Great recovery on your little darlings. They shouldn't be that sensitive to PH, but unlike most plants known as weeds they need to form a mycorrhizal relationship with members of the soil food web to be able to thrive on less than perfect PH. A soil food web can thrive in potting soil, but it takes a few months after adding "mycos" to build the soil connections to optimally feed a cannabis plant. Most growers choose to add bottled nutrients and PH the water rather than build a "living" soil.

- I did fine on my first grow but tried really hard to kill my second grow - - It took over a year to get one of my second grow plants to harvest amd the yield was pitiful - fortunately their clones and some other plants passed them by while they were still struggling :)

Back
Top Bottom