Unusual question and grow style

Grilson

420 Member
Hello there.

I want to run through a scenario we are dealing with here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Here in the Southern Hemisphere we can get an outdoor grow in from the start of July - mid October. They are of course very small plant 2-4 ounces dry weight per plant. The quality of flower can be very good though and if you just want some personal flower without the stresses of summer it has been great in the past.

Seed were germinated under lights at 14 hrs and kept there for 1 month from early July - early August. ( some were also started outside in the natural light on the same date.) They were then transplanted into a range of environments. Some in Polly hot houses, some in bags outdoors. And some in the ground outdoors. On average they have a one month pre flower growth stage as you would expect. The natural day light hrs on transplant is just under 11hrs. After the one month of pre flower growth they really stiffen up and go right into flower and finish mid October. Some have finished as late as the 7th of November with no issues.

All this has worked really well for the past many years. This year how ever, all the plants in the all the different grow areas are now stretching. :(

The biggest difference I can see this year is that we normally have clear cold winters with lots of sun. This winter has been mild in temps with lots of cloud and rain. Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening or have had the same issue? I know it is a little unusual and I am happy 2 share more details if anyone has more questions.

Cheers. Grilson

I would guess it is due to the lack of light compared to previous seasons. Is there height going to be trouble? Can you tie them down and do some LST?

G’day. Thanks for the reply mate. A lot of them have been either tipped or tied down in an lST style and still wanting 2 veg out. Height on the ones I have left as natural pine tree shape is not a problem. Generally they are only 2ft tall.

I think you are right. There is a definite difference in sunlight this winter. So much more cloud. In some ways though you would think more sun would make them want to veg more!?

Same Strain as you have grown before? Can even get different pheno's that act totally different from same batch of seeds at times. So many variables, many of which are hard to control growing outside. Stretching don't matter so much as long as you have them tied up when outside, as don't run into a height problem in many outside cases ;) :rofl:

Thanks there!! Yeah you are right! Sooo many variables. Across the board there would be about 15 different strains. Thc snow, skunk, lemon haze, Bruce banner ect. And have ran many of them in the past side by side with no issue.

I should correct myself, when I say stretching I’m mean the flower is stretching out of flower back into veg. Ie, I was hoping 2 harvest the flower in about 2 weeks time but looks like it is fluffing out! It’s just a small winter window where you can get in a quick harvest before the summer grow.

There are so many variables and details going on here it'd be tough to offer and singular cause. I would guess it is environmental; sun light, temp, humidity, water, and nutrients available could all be potentially contributing to the return of the vegi. Episode IV A New Veg. Episode V Veg Strikes Back. Episode VI Return of the Vegi. Episode I Veg Menace. Episode II Attack of the Veg. Episode III Revenge of the Veg. I'll stop because the new Disney Star Wars movies are not worth mentioning.

Haha!! Agreed! There is a lot going on. It’s a mysterious game but that’s probably what keeps it so fun!

Thanks mate

Back
Top Bottom