Vermiponics Instead of aquaponics

I have a small aquaponics system setup with not enough fish to power the plants so I supplement the fish wastes with my Jadam extracts which include worm castings. My worms are outside the system, though.

Black soldier fly As an added benefit, the flies turn your garbage into a form that’s easier for worms to digest, making it the perfect pairing for a worm composting system. In fact, if you’re used to seeing giant maggots in your compost pile, then odds are you already are familiar with black soldier flies.

Note: If you want to encourage both species to thrive in the same system, bury any food scraps at least six inches into the bin. This makes them accessible to worms, while flies will eat what’s on the surface. That way, the two won’t interfere with each other.

In my system the sump tank is the lowest container and a pump moves the water up into the fish tank which then flows with gravity into a settling tank for the solids and then on to two growing tubs which flood and drain with bell siphon.

It's been running for years with minimal effort. The only inputs are fish food and my extracts.

In my system the sump tank is the lowest container and a pump moves the water up into the fish tank which then flows with gravity into a settling tank for the solids and then on to two growing tubs which flood and drain with bell siphon.

It's been running for years with minimal effort. The only inputs are fish food and my extracts.

The BioPod Plus is a convenient way to recycle your kitchen scraps and restaurant leftovers into valuable feed - an excellent choice for your fish, chickens, bullfrogs and backyard songbird feeders. Utilizing the larvae stage of the native Black Soldier Fly, these devices are an efficient way of bio-converting your food scraps into living biomass, without the time consuming task of separating the grubs from the active pile. Mature grubs auto-separate from the active pile via crawl off ramps and collect in the handled harvest bucket. Advanced drainage system helps maintain aerobic conditions by separating liquid effluent from pod contents. Liquids are easily dispensed from external fittings.

FEATURES & BENEFITS

Pair of angled, 40˚ migration ramps allow for natural migration of grubs. Inner edge of almost 2" wide ramps possess a raised lip to guide grubs and optimize auto crawl off. Dual ramps lead to harvest slit at top which overhangs the entry chute of the harvest bucket.
Covered harvest bucket auto-collects grubs for simple, no-hassle separation, while fitting snuggly into pod body. Bucket features: a drip channel that diverts condensation and precipatation away from the contents, a carrying handle to remove unit from body while providing a means of gripping, an air port slot to keep grubs from suffocating, and a top entry chute where the grubs fall through via gravity.
Hinged main lid lid is easy to open using front handle
Inner convenience lid easily pivots, allowing for quick one handed dumping of food scraps, while shielding top ventilation gap created by built-in bump - critical for aeration, female access and egg laying
Heavy duty, weather-resistant, rotomolded construction insures long life span and protection of colony from the elements
Improved ventilation: Fresh air enters through bucket slit, passively flowing through entry chute in bucket, which leads to the harvest slot in body and exits at convenience lid gap - continually maintaining aerobic conditions
Compact design is ideal for shade gardens and patios - compatible with rural, suburban and urban settings
Advanced drainage of liquids effluent occurs through perforated drainage plate and flexible mesh drainage pad, allowing liquids to flow passively into collection area. Multi-layer drainage system physically separates active colony from liquid catchment area, allowing liquid to pass through mesh, 0.5 cm holes and exit the rear drainage port.
Handmade in the USA - except for the drainage pieces and hardware, each part is crafted by hand in our workshop in North Carolina. Expect minor abrasions, imperfect edges, micro-perforations and other small irregularities. None of these will affect performance.
Gray color blends in naturally with garden landscaping

Back
Top Bottom