What is air layering?

It’s a bit hazy. I don’t think I saw this thread before tonight or I might have done some things differently. As I recall I partially scraped a stem and applied some cloning gel just for the hell of it. Then wrapped some wet rockwool cubes around it contained by saran wrap type thin plastic. Then tried to keep that damp over the next weeks.

My issue was that the stem was quite thick. I should have thought to use a much thinner one. So once I got some roots, and looked at the situation, and thought about cutting the branch free, it occurred to me that it would take a hell of a lot more roots than that to support that branch. So I decided to leave the whole mess on there longer.

Then in the meantime I had to go away for a while and left my girlfriend in charge, who managed to completely dry the plant out and kill everything. I was sooo close! It sucks because it was my special once in a lifetime variegated beauty. It was nearly impossible to clone the usual way. Oh well - we had a good time together while it lasted.

Hey Enr0n, Thanks for reviving this thread.

I am not far way with starting this year's outdoor grow (I'm in the Southern Hemisphere). This year I wanted to make an attempt to reverse sex my girl/s and make some feminized seeds. I was going to try this by selectively target spraying a couple of branches of them with colloidal silver. I plan on growing 3 or 4 girls on my balcony. However someone recently suggested to take cuttings (I'll be topping the plants anyway so I can use those) and grow out the cuttings and then attempt to reverse the cuttings to use them as female pollen donors to the main girls, which makes good sense. I am not quite clear on the scrapping or removing of the layer from end of the cuttings, but I will go search for some pictures/clips to be sure. I guess the plastic wrap is to keep the moisture for where the roots will hopefully grow from. Would you keep the whole cutting in a humidity dome of sorts too?
I wanna see how you were gunna just keep part of the cutting in the humidity dome. How did your project go? I think I forgot about mine, it was a while ago... lol.

I had twins! I made some beans and the dirt one I Popped was twins!
DBB9B7FA-B4A7-4CCC-AF46-4E548892A29A.jpeg
D19D76F7-E511-4A61-AFBF-71A6CE7ACAD1.jpeg
The first one not, dirt one. Lol

I wanna see how you were gunna just keep part of the cutting in the humidity dome. How did your project go? I think I forgot about mine, it was a while ago... lol.
Unfortunately it was a failure, I was using a glass of water an humidity dome, which I never really got to the 'happy' zone for the cutting, next time I attempt making a cut/clone I will try to root in soil or those peat pucks.

Unfortunately it was a failure, I was using a glass of water an humidity dome, which I never really got to the 'happy' zone for the cutting, next time I attempt making a cut/clone I will try to root in soil or those peat pucks.
Hey what I like to do is take about ten small cuttings and stick them all in a small clay pot of coco evenly spaced. You gotta stick them in the sweet spot that stays moist while the top drys out and just keep spraying them a few times a day. A lot of times I don’t need a humidity done but if a cutting is wilting put the dome on.

Wow is this some sort of plant variety or disease?
Are you talking about my Chocolate Mint up above? That’s a mutation. Called chimeral variegation. Variegation It’s more common in some types of plants other than cannabis, and you‘ve probably seen it often before in some houseplants which are bred for their variegated look. Basically mottled or splashed pale yellow patches on the leaves.

Are you talking about my Chocolate Mint up above? That’s a mutation. Called chimeral variegation. Variegation It’s more common in some types of plants other than cannabis, and you‘ve probably seen it often before in some houseplants which are bred for their variegated look. Basically mottled or splashed pale yellow patches on the leaves.
Yeah that’s what we were talking about. It’s freaking awesome. I had some leaves and got excited I might have a nugget like yours BUT....... mine was just the leaf. Yours is beautiful!
CB290185-7B61-4B06-BA19-314FEC2F1E60.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom