When to harvest?

bmo420

So I know your supposed to harvest by looking at the trichomes and determining wht state they r in for the different highs, I have a 10x jelwers loupe and just got a 60x lighted magnifing glass in the mail that sucks balls, I need to actually touch the bud to get a clear pic of trichomes. If I cannot tell when the trichs have amberd what is the best way to guess when they are lol

Determining when to Harvest should be based on a number of factors rather than one.

Trichome color- mostly milky is the earliest one should cut. 20-30% amber the.latest (IMO)

Pistil color and length, calyx size- as a bud ripens most strains pistils will begin to brown off (not necessarily brown.. but they will no longer be white, he majority at least) he bud will begin to "look ripe" it will more closely resemble a nug you'd find in a bag rather than one ud find on week 4.

The pistils will begin to recede making them appear shorter, this is largely in part to the calyx swelling., are the calyxs noticeably larger than previously? Two or all of these signs are good indicators its time to cut.. the biggest mistake you can make is to cut early, plants will put a large portion of their flower weight on in he last few weeks.

If you are having trouble getting a good look try plucking a blade of sugar leaf from a few.different places on the plant and set them on white paper then view them. It requires taking a small bit of leaf but nothing major and u don't have to smash up ur buds trying to get a peek. Goodluck mate!

(Please forgive the lack of proper terminology or scientific explanations... its a lot to type.. check out the FAQ section of the forum. There are many tutorials on determining your harvest window etc..)

Determining when to Harvest should be based on a number of factors rather than one.

Trichome color- mostly milky is the earliest one should cut. 20-30% amber the.latest (IMO)

Pistil color and length, calyx size- as a bud ripens most strains pistils will begin to brown off (not necessarily brown.. but they will no longer be white, he majority at least) he bud will begin to "look ripe" it will more closely resemble a nug you'd find in a bag rather than one ud find on week 4.

The pistils will begin to recede making them appear shorter, this is largely in part to the calyx swelling., are the calyxs noticeably larger than previously? Two or all of these signs are good indicators its time to cut.. the biggest mistake you can make is to cut early, plants will put a large portion of their flower weight on in he last few weeks.

If you are having trouble getting a good look try plucking a blade of sugar leaf from a few.different places on the plant and set them on white paper then view them. It requires taking a small bit of leaf but nothing major and u don't have to smash up ur buds trying to get a peek. Goodluck mate!

Thanks for the help :)

Sorry to be an idiot but I'm new. Where do I look for these trichromes? I have a lighted magnifying glass but that's it. Thanks

You look for them on the buds. Close up, with a small microscope (or jewelers loop, even a pair of binoculars looking through them backwards) you will see something like this:

DSCN17446.JPG

Photo Credit: @Graytail

That thread will show you the way home.

Binos backwards ? does that work? Got my interest up, gotta try that. lol

I honestly can't say. Someone on here somewhere mentioned doing it in a pinch the other day. Seems like it would work, but I have a microscope and a jewelers loop.

Back
Top Bottom