Which is the best soil to use?

BENNY 420

Hi I'm starting my third grow .I have been using roots organic soil .in my first grow after germination of five seeds I planted them in cups of roots organic soil with ph 6.5 water when watering and they started to grow stems but after a couple of days three of them died .it looked like the stem dried out I was told it could be the soil in my second grow could only get one to grow just ordered some more seeds to try again any help would be appreciated as seeds are so expensive

Seedlings can be fussy. You have to really make sure that they don't get too wet or dry for too long and also that they don't get too hot or too cold. It can be a delicate balance. If it looks like the stems got pinched and just fell over. It was probably damping off - a common seedling problem. Alot of people blame the soil when they see this, but from what I've experienced, it's more often the case that the environmental conditions were not optimal and occasionally it can come from a previously infected seed stock. I've found that it happens more with low night temps and lack of air flow.

This might be a dumb question but when the taproot comes out and I plant it in soil should I leave it in the dark for a day or two?and should I saran wrap top of cup for humidity?

This might be a dumb question but when the taproot comes out and I plant it in soil should I leave it in the dark for a day or two?and should I saran wrap top of cup for humidity?

Welcome benny, no such thing as a dumb question around here. They don't need light until they breakthrough the soil. But don't over do it, for example don't put them under the sun straight away, give them a little time otherwise you'll stunt them. CFL's for example are good for the first few days.

:Namaste:

Any good potting soil without added nutrients works great for starting seeds. I like high porosity so I use Promix HP.
Soak seeds overnight. Fill solo cup with potting soil. Drench soil completely. Add seed, about 1/4 to 1/2" deep. Cover lightly and water just a little more where the seed is to make sure there is good contact with the surrounding soil.

Do NOT water more. Do not cover. Place it where it will get mild light and stay warm. I use a small T5 fixture. In 2-3 days you will have seedlings. If they aren't up in 4 days, you have bum seeds. Once above ground move to more direct light. I keep them about 2" away from the light otherwise they stretch and get spindly. Add a fan to build strong stems making them buff and tough.

No need for a dark day or two. These are seeds and expect to be outdoors under the sun.
We kill weeds around our house by placing clear plastic sheeting over them. It is a sure way to kill anything underneath.

Back
Top Bottom