White spots - Anything to worry about?

Hey there DeadHeadTed! Is it possible for you to upload a picture for us to see? To me at first thought, it sounds like a powder mold forming but having a picture would help us help you :)

IMG_194720.jpg

Here ya go :) and cheers for the help uploading! :-D i seemed as though it was URLs from other sites only, cheeers :)

It is still sort of hard to see since your camera actually focused in on your planter and soil instead of the leaves. But from what it looks like this is a mildew/mold issue. Where is your plant growing? Is it in a musty and damp basement or anything? High humidity area?

Outside for about 12hrs then indoors but with windows open and a massive through draft for roughly 6hrs then windows shut for the remianing 6.

I can take another pic if it helps?

Yeah, the focus is on the soil - not the leaves. But from what I can see, it looks like PM.
The cheapest and most effective treatment I know of is potassium bicarbonate. There are plenty of home-brew recipes using milk, hydrogen peroxide, soaps, etc. I can tell you the potassium bicarb works really well for me. We always have a terrible problem with PM on our grapes. This stuff did an amazing job this year, and it is non-toxic.

Yep - looks like mildew. Get after it ASAP.
You can get potassium bicarbonate on the Bay for $6-$7 per pound - maybe less.
Mix 1 teaspoon per quart (or 4 tsp. per gallon) and spray away. It mixes best is the water is warm. :thumb:

Yep - looks like mildew. Get after it ASAP.
You can get potassium bicarbonate on the Bay for $6-$7 per pound - maybe less.
Mix 1 teaspoon per quart (or 4 tsp. per gallon) and spray away. It mixes best is the water is warm. :thumb:

Ok, you say spray, as i thinking right in that you mean so dissolve it in water by the ratio you say then spray it over the leaves?
Are we talking liberally or conservatively?
Also, how careful wold i need to be to make sure i don't spray the compost too much?

Cheers :)

Ok, you say spray, as i thinking right in that you mean so dissolve it in water by the ratio you say then spray it over the leaves?
Are we talking liberally or conservatively?
Also, how careful wold i need to be to make sure i don't spray the compost too much?

Cheers :)

Yes. Mix then put the solution in a sprayer and spray the leaves, stems, the entire plant, including the under side of the leaves. I'd spray liberally - just to the point of runoff. Let it sit a minute then give gentle shakes to get most to drip off.

The amount that gets on the compost/soil shouldn't be an issue. It won't be much at all. The amount of potassium that gets on it won't do a thing, IMO.

I prefer to spray first thing in the morning or lights on, assuming you have good air flow. It will enable the plants to dry off quicker so as to let the buds dry sooner.

Yea... I hear most people would, or at least I noticed, they run it during the dark during 12 12 to avoid going into a sulphur filled room. I'm no where near as advanced in that sort of thing. But if your going spray it seems you'd avoid the sulfur all together. A little bit of pondering I suppose. Thanks for the info

Yeah - either use the potassium bicarb (raises PH) or the sulfur (lowers PH).

Back
Top Bottom